Non parallel wall behind speakers. set up.

Llem

Hi,

At my current set up with Klipsch forte ii the wall behind them is not completely parallel so if i place them at the same distance in front of wall say about 10 inches the Left speaker is closer about 2" to the LP. 

I can bring them equidistant to the LP by bringing the right speaker a little more out of the wall say 12 inches but given the fact that they have the passive radiator behind is this the right approach?  in other words which is more important to be equal? the distance betwenn speaker and wall behind or the distance between listener and speakers?

side wall distances are not the same either but given the directivity of the horns this is not my first concern right now.

thanks and Happy new year to all.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Llem said:

Hi, speakers about 9 feet apart centers - LP about 12 feet

Sounds like a nice distance. What are you noticing or, do you have a complaint about what you are hearing. Should have the sound coming to you from the space directly between the two.

Abit before the LP and behind the LP may be a sweeter spot.

Depending on the room size, having the speakers not toed in, may make you rethink. Nuanced and balanced.

• Like 2

Yes the setting and distance are very nice that's why i insist for the optimum at this placement (long wall) and dont want to go back at the short wall set up where i sit further away.

Sound is between the two i believe ... maybe (not sure yet) a little more pressure from the left side wich is the one closer to front-wall 

Toe in is not much,roughly at the arms of the sofa. 

Also, quite important, the right speaker is in front of a balcony door (thick double glass) covered by a curtain.

i remember reading a reviewer ,Jim Smith i believe,  suggesting equal distance from speakers rather than exact wall placement due to the fact that wall contructions are not always perfect. However Fortes with passive Radiatosr are quite sensible to wall distance that why the question

• Like 1

I think it's more important for the speakers to be of equal distance to your ears. You won't be able to hear the difference 2" to the wall makes, but I am pretty sure you'll hear a difference of one speaker being 2" closer to your listening seat. I am very anal about speaker placement and go to great lengths to get it right.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I think it's more important for the speakers to be of equal distance to your ears. You won't be able to hear the difference 2" to the wall makes, but I am pretty sure you'll hear a difference of one speaker being 2" closer to your listening seat. I am very anal about speaker placement and go to great lengths to get it right.

I agree 100%.

On 1/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I concur as well . Well said Shakey .

On 1/10/2023 at 12:24 PM, Llem said:

Yes the setting and distance are very nice that's why i insist for the optimum at this placement (long wall) and dont want to go back at the short wall set up where i sit further away.

Discussions about speaker placement are only  ........discussions , in the end , you're the only one who can  really hear and tell , where  ? is  the ideal placement  for the speakers  in the room  ,  someone can tell you.....do this or that.....or you can read endless reviews   but unless the contributors  are in the same room with you , nothing can be verified  , trust your ears , dont hesitate to make changes  till you find the optimal sound ,

• Like 3