Klipsch RC-7 ohm

jeffyd89

So I purchased one recently obviously used. Hooked it up and it worked. Got it home ohmed out the binding post (with jumpers) read around 3 ohms. Pulled jumpers low side read about 3.0 but the high side read zero.  Pulled all three speakers they read about 5.3 ohms(avg).  I'm using a fluke DMM. My question is do I have a cross over issue or no issue? My RF-7 READ EXACTLY 8. 

If I need to rebuild xover that's cool I can order resistors but I'm not sure about capacitors they are different kinds made of different materials hoes a guy suppose to know which to buy?

6 hours ago, jeffyd89 said:

OK van anyone with an RC-7 just tell me what the speaker ohms as? Use a multi meter and meter across the binding post with the speaker wire out and the bridge jumpers installed

3.2 ohms measured on my RC-7 with upgraded capicators using a Fluke DMM.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:56 PM, Southern said:

3.2 ohms measured on my RC-7 with upgraded capicators using a Fluke DMM.

On 1/15/2023 at 8:13 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Your meter will present DC and show a resistance lower than what an amp will generally see from signal that is constantly changing.

Yes I did read this. I understood that the DC volts from the DMM would read less and I understood with the speaker by themselves. But when I read through the Binding I was expecting closer to 8 just because my RF7s read exactly 8. It all makeshift sense though if my speakers are all a little over 5 that I read less then that  when paralleled. However I read 0 ohms through the high side binding post with the jumper out. But I did read read that those tractix horns cause funny readings. However ohm reading right at the tractix read around 5.3 so it left me with questions. Thanks again guys for the reply

On 1/18/2023 at 8:27 AM, jeffyd89 said:

Yes I did read this. I understood that the DC volts from the DMM would read less and I understood with the speaker by themselves. But when I read through the Binding I was expecting closer to 8 just because my RF7s read exactly 8. It all makeshift sense though if my speakers are all a little over 5 that I read less then that  when paralleled. However I read 0 ohms through the high side binding post with the jumper out. But I did read read that those tractix horns cause funny readings. However ohm reading right at the tractix read around 5.3 so it left me with questions. Thanks again guys for the reply

The RC-7 utilizes a "tapered array" in the crossover which allows only one woofer to cover the frequencies up to the tweeter crossover point where the RF-7 doesn't.

I don't have the schematics for both crossovers handy but that may explain the resistance between the two crossovers.

• Like 1

I was a little worried but now that I see some1 else have the same resistance reading I'm a bit relieved. Looks like I'm just going to add the 2ohm resiters to the high side and throw her back together. It just socks because I sized the amp for an 8ohm load [denon poa 6600] and now I think I need to make a change

10 hours ago, jeffyd89 said:

I was a little worried but now that I see some1 else have the same resistance reading I'm a bit relieved. Looks like I'm just going to add the 2ohm resiters to the high side and throw her back together. It just socks because I sized the amp for an 8ohm load [denon poa 6600] and now I think I need to make a change

A speaker's ohm rating is a nominal rating.  In reality it can bounce all over the place.  If the nominal rating is 8 ohms then you should be fine.

Just to be clear, your DMM is only measuring the resistance of all series inductors plus the series voice coil they are connected to.

The tweeter circuit contains a series capacitor (which blocks DC), so on it's own it will measure as an open circuit with or without the 2 ohm resistor.

Since the RF7's woofers are wired in parallel, that measurement will probably be half the value of either woofer circuit on it's own.

This is why your measurements with the straps are equal to the woofer terminals without the strap.  The tweeter circuit measures as if it's not there.

Mike

• Thanks 1

I misread something earlier that just made me want to bow out. I thought he said he got a reading from his RF-7 high pass with the straps removed, which really confused me. 

I don’t like internet troubleshooting, especially when there’s no problem!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jeffyd89 said:

My response to the DMM reading was in no way implying to add a 2 ohm resistor to your RC-7, it was just to confirm what mine measured.

As previously mentioned, the DMM measures DC resistance and not impedence.

I have been running my RC-7 as is (no added resistor) for many years without any issues.