Rare find

bossfan23

Hello. New here. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I recently came into possession of a pair of vintage Heresy I speakers, new in box. Never used. They are a sequential set as far as serial #'s. They have a build date of 1980. I'm considering/leaning toward keeping them for myself. I'm no audiophile, but I would find the best way to use them. I may also consider selling them. Any idea what these might be worth in the open market? Again, they are sealed in original packaging. Never used. I was the first to open the boxes just to look at the serial #'s. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Welcome to the forum! 

You have a winner! 

I would say: invest in a good quality amplifier and enjoy the music. 

Used Heresy speakers are wanted nowadays. Their prices have gone up in the past months. 

1980, in mint condition, I would say €1000 to €1250, euro or dollars  depending on where you live. 

11 hours ago, bossfan23 said:

Hello. New here. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I recently came into possession of a pair of vintage Heresy I speakers, new in box. Never used. They are a sequential set as far as serial #'s. They have a build date of 1980. I'm considering/leaning toward keeping them for myself. I'm no audiophile, but I would find the best way to use them. I may also consider selling them. Any idea what these might be worth in the open market? Again, they are sealed in original packaging. Never used. I was the first to open the boxes just to look at the serial #'s. Thanks!

Put them up for sale and see what the market brings if interested. @bossfan23

12 hours ago, bossfan23 said:

What finish?  That means a lot.  The wood finished are the most sought after, black painted will be the lest, then oak and then walnut will be the most desirable, unless you have something really special in an exotic finish.  Post some pics. 

Did you inherit these?  If so, set up a system and keep them if you like music.  You will regret selling them if they are from a relative. 

• Like 1

That’s a tough one.  I’d be inclined to keep them sealed up and unused.  How many are out there NOS?  No way to know.

Then again, they were made to be listened to and enjoyed.

As far as value, if I had them I wouldn’t take less than $1,000 for them.  Stuff like this never comes up for sale.

I have a pair of 81's in OW sitting here with my LS.  Imma thinking your's have the K-%%-V mid driver.  Thinking 80 & 81 were the only years that was done.  Put a pair of risers under them and enjoy the ride.  You'll love it!  THEN tell me what they're worth.  Carry on!  :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

I have a pair of 81's in OW sitting here with my LS.  Imma thinking your's have the K-%%-V mid driver.  Thinking 80 & 81 were the only years that was done.  Put a pair of risers under them and enjoy the ride.  You'll love it!  THEN tell me what they're worth.  Carry on!  :)

The K-55V was used for many, many years.  Only the very early 1980s models will have a dual phase plug design which can be identified by the input connectors being soldered on versus push string terminals.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 7:27 PM, bossfan23 said:

Again, they are sealed in original packaging. Never used. I was the first to open the boxes just to look at the serial #'s. Thanks!

Hopefully you took pictures before you opened them up? I would have only open up one if I opened them at all now you have "open-box" at best no longer new factory sealed. Problem is what happens and I've personally seen it happen quite a few times is someone finds a nice, mint pair of older speakers that still have the packing materials and although the speakers are used just well cared for flippers like to capitalize on the situation and sell them as "new" since there's really no way to prove otherwise. Not accusing you of anything just stating the situation as I see it. Either way if they're in minty, like new condition you should be able to get top dollar for them.    

• Like 1

Nice find!  If you keep them, you'll want them on the floor and just a few inches off the wall or corner to get better bass from them.  You can expect them to need several days for the woofers to loosten up and make full bass output.  Ultimately, you may want a subwoofer, too.  Many of us do. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...