Former “Klipsch Lifer?”

DizRotus

For more than twenty years I’ve belonged to these Klipsch forums.  I presently own four pairs of Klipsch speakers.  Before and while being a forum member I’ve owned Khorns, Cornwalls, La Scalas, Belles, and innumerable Heresy variants.  

I’ve restored La Scalas and Heresys for the band rooms of a local high school and a local middle school.  Thousands of young musicians have been exposed to the clean low distortion high output sound of Klipsch.  

None of that would have happened without the Klipsch forums. More important, none of it would have happened if the forums then had been like the forums are now.  Apparently, it’s a sacrilege that I refreshed the La Salas’ crossovers with parts that we’re not from Klipsch, or that I modified the bass bins with reinforcement to address a known sidewall flexing issue.  

I met many friends through the forum.  My DIY tapped horn subs were brought to my attention by a post from Carl @CECAA850.  My “Supered” HIPs were modified into existence with the assistance of Claude @ClaudeJ1.  Countless other friendships started here. I sold a Harman Kardon receiver to Bruce @Marvel.  Another member, whose name escapes me but the gratitude remains, sent a Dual turntable to play 78s.  Sadly, many of those members have drifted away from this platform.

I just donated $60 to the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association to pay it forward for the kindness of @billybob, who sent me an equalizer so that I could play 78s.  To the best of my knowledge, Klipsch does not make such equalizers.

I’ve been an ambassador for Klipsch since the 70s .  The forum in the days when the mention of a non-Klipsch product was tolerated was a welcoming place. Unfortunately, that is no longer true.

I’ve lost track of the number of Klipsch products friends and family have chosen upon my recommendations. Clearly Klipsch can do as it chooses with its forums.  If the mention of things other than Klipsch is precluded, then my interest in following the Klipsch forums is greatly diminished.  The phrase, “biting of your nose to spite your face” comes to mind.

Is Klipsch in danger of losing more business by driving away me and others, or by allowing the mention of things non-Klipsch?  I suggest alienating long term members is more problematic than any perceived “competition” from the mention of non-Klipsch modifications.  Ultimately, it’s up to Roy @Chief bonehead, and others at Klipsch, whether to allow the forum to return to its former collegial atmosphere or to continue on the off-putting parochial path it appears to prefer.

Change is inevitable and usually resisted.  In my opinion, unnecessary changes have made this a less desirable neighborhood.  It does no good to tell me and others that we’re wrong to feel alienated.  Whether or not that is the intention, that is how I feel

Peace!

Neil

YMMV

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 6

Well spoken Neil. Can't speak for all, but I know many that were here (and maybe still are lurking now and again) share your thoughts, myself included.  I have purchased well over 15 new pairs of Klipsch speakers over the years and have been recommending them for years.   That has stopped. Made plenty of friends on here and learned plenty as well. RIP the forum prior. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• DizRotus changed the title to Former “Klipsch Lifer.”
4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I met many friends through the forum.

Same here, Neil.

I just found the list of the 17 folks who chipped in to send my late wife and I the JMA Merlin. At least two of those folks have passed away. I think some have just moved on, for various reasons.

Bruce

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well said Neil (and others).

It used to be a "community". Like minded people helping each other with our little hobby (loving our Klipsch speakers)

Now its google info answers instead of real world experiences.

Met many good guys here, had several to my shop.

Time marches on. Just disappointed to loose what was a good place to visit. Even more disappointed that Neil didn't mention me in the OP, but hey.....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Is Klipsch in danger of losing more business by driving away me and others, or by allowing the mention of things non-Klipsch?  I suggest alienating long term members is more problematic than any perceived “competition” from the mention of non-Klipsch modifications.

Peace!

Neil

Not minimizing anyone's comments but playing devil's advocate, I suggest the Forum owners are concerned with the information & impressions newbies, not long term members, may find when they are considering buying Klipsch speakers. Newbies log on and find thread after thread concerned with “improving” the speakers. The implicit message being “ I bought these Klipsch speakers and they don't sound good, so I need to ‘improve' them.” As a newbie, why would I drop a minimum of  $3K on a Heritage speaker than needs" improvement?" They may not grasp these are prior generation speakers that are being discussed; they are newbies.

Also, some people may have drifted away because they thought this was a Klipsch forum, not a DIY workshop. After all, if you are happy after purchasing your Klipsch speakers, why read about modifications? If there is no discussion or real world impressions of current speakers posted, how is that Klipsch’s fault? Forum members are are responsible for this information, else this is just ad copy. Why are interesting reviews and comments posted on Steve Huff’s site, Hoffman’s and several other sites rather than here? Why do we tolerate snarky and condescending posts from some long term members? My “ignore" list is much longer than my “follow" list. I suggest that may drive more members away than the inability to discuss non Klipsch crossovers....

Personally, I think PWK and Roy have done a fine job creating & updating the Heritage and pro lines. When I win the lottery, I want to find the earliest set of ‘horns available and restore them to original spec so I can hear what started all this.

But at the end of the say, is this truly a life altering issue or just one more slightly annoying change in the world?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When you charge that kind of money, same as in the car market, people will do what they like with the product and will be forward about sharing with others.  No different here.  I hear what you are saying, but reading on the klipsch forums does not say to a new buyer, brand new klipsch speakers must be modified or they don't sound well IMO. 

• Like 6

In my 13+ years on this forum, I have never seen a post suggesting that someone should alter a "New" Klipsch product.  Nor anyone saying they have.  What I have seen and contributed to myself are ideas and discussions of updating 10–30-year-old plus speakers.  I challenge anyone to post a discussion on tearing apart and modifying a Klipsch product that is new or even recently a former current production.  Yea, I just bought a new pair of Jubes for 25K and now, this is why I am going to "upgrade them".  This is why you should as well. LMAO.  Or for that matter a Heresy, forte, Cornwall, Lascala, etc.  

• Like 2

Well said everyone.

I look back warmhearted to the time when this forum vibrated with good spirit and everyone willing to help. The knowledge of experienced Klipsch lifers was invaluable for newbies like me at the time. That good time was not so long ago. 

There was never much sense in prohibiting free discussions on technical subjects, mentioning of equipment of other brands etc. 

Clearly, mentioning and discussing Klipsch products were most frequent all over the forum, which can bring more good than bad for the brand.

Shutting down leads to silence, and everyone in advertising knows that silence is more deadly than even a negative advertisement.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When you go to someone's house you play by their rules. Rules have changed and some do not like it. I get it but it is still their house we play in. 

One change that is great as far as I am concerned is Klipsch is in charge of this forum now and not a select few long time members and their friends.

Much, much friendlier place now. Cannot remember the last time their was a verbal fight. Mods "nip them in the bud" now as Barney use to say. Perhaps more and more visitors will join and post now. Some of the old members were down right rude to any newbie's post. Constant verbal fights between members was the norm. Not a good image for any company.  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, DizRotus said:

For more than twenty years I’ve belonged to these Klipsch forums.  I presently own four pairs of Klipsch speakers.  Before and while being a forum member I’ve owned Khorns, Cornwalls, La Scalas, Belles, and innumerable Heresy variants.  

I’ve restored La Scalas and Heresys for the band rooms of a local high school and a local middle school.  Thousands of young musicians have been exposed to the clean low distortion high output sound of Klipsch.  

None of that would have happened without the Klipsch forums. More important, none of it would have happened if the forums then had been like the forums are now.  Apparently, it’s a sacrilege that I refreshed the La Salas’ crossovers with parts that we’re not from Klipsch, or that I modified the bass bins with reinforcement to address a known sidewall flexing issue.  

I met many friends through the forum.  My DIY tapped horn subs were brought to my attention by a post from Carl @CECAA850.  My “Supered” HIPs were modified into existence with the assistance of Claude @ClaudeJ1.  Countless other friendships started here. I sold a Harman Kardon receiver to Bruce @Marvel.  Another member, whose name escapes me but the gratitude remains, sent a a Dual turntable to play 78s.  Sadly, many of those members have drifted away from this platform.

I just donated $60 to the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association to pay it forward for the kindness of @billybob, who sent me an equalizer so that I could play 78s.  To the best of my knowledge, Klipsch does not make such equalizers.

I’ve been an ambassador for Klipsch since the 70s .  The forum in the days when the mention of a non-Klipsch product was tolerated was a welcoming place. Unfortunately, that is no longer true.

I’ve lost track of the number of Klipsch products friends and family have chosen upon my recommendations. Clearly Klipsch can do as it chooses with its forums.  If the mention of things other than Klipsch is precluded, then my interest in following the Klipsch forums is greatly diminished.  The phrase, “biting of your nose to spite your face” comes to mind.

Is Klipsch in danger of losing more business by driving away me and others, or by allowing the mention of things non-Klipsch?  I suggest alienating long term members is more problematic than any perceived “competition” from the mention of non-Klipsch modifications.  Ultimately, it’s up to Roy @Chief bonehead, and others at Klipsch, whether to allow the forum to return to its former collegial atmosphere or to continue on the off-putting parochial path it appears to prefer.

Change is inevitable and usually resisted.  In my opinion, unnecessary changes have made this a less desirable neighborhood.  It does no good to tell me and others that we’re wrong to feel alienated.  Whether or not that is the intention, that is how I feel

Peace!

Neil

Yes ....  I have been alienated also after many years. ... There seems to be a Management phobia about other products

I have already been admonished for bringing up another Mfgrs name. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

Well said everyone.

I look back warmhearted to the time when this forum vibrated with good spirit and everyone willing to help. The knowledge of experienced Klipsch lifers was invaluable for newbies like me at the time. That good time was not so long ago. 

There was never much sense in prohibiting free discussions on technical subjects, mentioning of equipment of other brands etc. 

Clearly, mentioning and discussing Klipsch products were most frequent all over the forum, which can bring more good than bad for the brand.

Shutting down leads to silence, and everyone in advertising knows that silence is more deadly than even a negative advertisement.

Exactly those were Amy's years. 🙄

• Like 4

- like what the forum has become much ado about nothing. The days of pre-Pilgramage aka ‘the farmhouse” gatherings, Amy and the early vestiges of the forum are a thing of the past, long gone but not forgotten by those of us who were there. And no things ain’t the same no way no how. But damn, I still slept like a baby last night - 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Just like much of the content on the internet, we stay clear of it, social media (fb etc.) and tv best we can. After all the years on this forum, we've run into zero stool samples. Certainly nothing here ever to ruin a day. Some damn nice/helpful folks here. But like I said, we do not live on the net .. apparently a huge bonus?. Take care all. Get outside more.....even if its 'chilly'. Better off.. ~Mike    and we're no longer 'heritage members'?     Why I aughtta!😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Well said Neil (and others).

Even more disappointed that Neil didn't mention me in the OP, but hey.....

Mike,

I should have mentioned you by name.  The only excuse is that friends on this forum are too numerous to mention each one.

Neil

• Like 7