Former “Klipsch Lifer?”

DizRotus

On 1/17/2023 at 6:53 PM, MookieStl said:

Well said Neil (and others).

It used to be a "community". Like minded people helping each other with our little hobby (loving our Klipsch speakers)

Now its google info answers instead of real world experiences.

Met many good guys here, had several to my shop.

Time marches on. Just disappointed to loose what was a good place to visit. Even more disappointed that Neil didn't mention me in the OP, but hey.....

Yeah, how quickly he forgot about the Smurfs. 🤪

On 1/17/2023 at 10:52 AM, DizRotus said:

Peace!

Neil

YMMV

Well said Neil. Just like those who you mentioned and many others, I miss coming here and being a part of what made this a great forum. Many years of many people exchanging information, ideas, opinions and being helpful to people who buy Klipsch speakers. 

• Like 4

I’ll locate and attach some audio files sent to me by Dave Mallette (he pronounced it Ma’ let, rather than like a mallet).

He was working on an interesting recording and playback scheme that utilized a Dynaco Quadaptor.  His experiments were so interesting it prompted me to acquire and refurbish a Quadaptor to replicate his experiments. Through phone conversations and emails, Dave eagerly shared his knowledge and experience,

Unfortunately, things went wrong in Dave’s life in the end and virtual friends were unable to provide the support he needed and deserved.

47386F1A-CCDC-4C3B-B439-24275D52512A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I’ll locate and attach some audio files sent to me by Dave Mallette (he pronounced it Ma’ let, rather than like a mallet).

He was working on an interesting recording and playback scheme that utilized a Dynaco Quadaptor.  His experiments were so interesting it prompted me to acquire and refurbish a Quadapor to replicate is experiments. Through phone conversations and emails, Dave eagerly shared his knowledge and experience,

Unfortunately, things went wrong in Dave’s life in the end and virtual friends were unable to provide the support he needed and deserved.

47386F1A-CCDC-4C3B-B439-24275D52512A.jpeg

Being French Canadian, I never had trouble pronouncing his name properly. I also had a different experience with Dave Malette.

During my first trip to Klipsch in Indianapolis, he had a stack of home made CD's he was giving away in the cafeteria. His recordings were some of the best I ever heard, especially the Piano one. Co-incidentally, I have one of those Quadraptor boxes from even before my start at the Forum in 2006, but never used it. Too far down the list of things to try I guess. Too bad we lost another good one, RIP.

So do you have 4 Supers to play with? Well, I do. Pretty sure you have enough TI Chip amps to connect, if not, I have a whole bunch of those too. I'll call you in Feb. to discuss. Thanks for your posts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

<snip>

During my first trip to Klipsch in Indianapolis, he had a stack of home made CD's he was giving away in the cafeteria. His recordings were some of the best I ever heard, especially the Piano one. Co-incidentally, I have one of those Quadraptor boxes from even before my start at the Forum in 2006, but never used it. Too far down the list of things to try I guess. Too bad we lost another good one, RIP.

<snip>

Yeah, I talked with him about a bell calliope and steam calliopes.

He was into church organs and such.

• Like 1

Those days are gone.  People have become so political now that you can't even talk politics.  Let's not forget that even Amy banned politics.  That was close to the time she decided to pursue a new path.  She made the infamous "BS Forum" as a hidden room for veterans who liked to debate and jab at each other.  It was good for a while.  But even then, there came points when people would go in to play with the riff-raff in BS and come out bruised and threatening lawsuits.  

All of this was just a matter of time.  There really is no place for it on a reputable manufacturer's forum.  Let's get real.   Do we really add value to Klipsch?  I sort of doubt it.  Nobody needs to read all of our crap - like this very thread - to find plenty of evidence that Klipsch speakers are good.

And on the other hand, I don't lurk here to wait for speaker virgins to come asking how good Klipsch speakers sound.  So, that makes me pretty worthless around here I guess...

Duke, it's nice to see you back.  For that matter, same goes to all you old farts who never left...

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

All of this was just a matter of time.  There really is no place for it on a reputable manufacturer's forum.  Let's get real.   Do we really add value to Klipsch? 

Yes, we all do collectively, but not in the way many think they add value. To KGI. I agree Jeff, that in terms of revenue value/sales, the Forum has diminished significantly with YouTube audio channels, social media, face book, etc. There is little value. But there is an intrinsic value to KGI that people overlook.

The Forum, give or take, is about 80% Heritage based or related (strictly an educated guess, no hard data). This includes Heritage owners talking about the music they play, the books they read, etc. It’s probably even higher, but I’m not going to go through equipment profiles.

Heritage is less than 5% of sales of Klipsch. While every manufacturer appreciates word of mouth advertising, and favorable testimonials, in terms of the Forum they don’t view it as an advertising/sales segment.

KGI does appreciate its FANS, and are very proud they have a fan base like none other in the audio industry. I’m aware there are Carver camps and Carver Forum, and some others, but nothing to this extent. Certainly nothing for a speaker manufacturer.

The Forum is simply a place for Klipsch Enthusiasts to meet. That’s it. There are probably as many different reasons why people are here as there are fans. To learn, history, equipment synergy, restoration, good LP recommendations, buying and selling, news on meet ups and a hundred more.

As you pointed out, there are limits about what a respectable company can allow on a company sponsored forum. There was an area for politics, but things got sideways a little and it was no more and then it drifted into the public forums and that had to be dealt with. Some left (either announced or simply quit posting) because of that - they were used to coming here regularly to discuss those topics and now they couldn’t. Those types discussions were not just of zero value to KGI, they were a negative value.

Recently there was a shift away from DIY, mods, clones, “mods” topics to simply technical questions and restoration type topics. For the diehard DIY builders (Klipsch inspired or not) that was going to be upsetting. Some left to DIY audio related forums or other audio forums, which is fine. Many participate in both. What’s surprising is that they think their latest greatest DIY speaker project is of some value to KGI. Or that it fulfills the KGI mission of providing a place for Klipsch fans to meet and exchange ideas. It does neither. 

If someone what’s to build a LS, Khorn whatever inspired speaker, they should post about it in a Forum dedicated for that purpose. If someone wants to chop up their latest garage sale find and put in new horns, drivers XO’s from other vendors (I call them peddlers), they should go to forums for that, or better yet, those peddlers should create forums or FB pages for people who have questions about their products, services. or whatever it is they are selling. It doesn’t further the interests of Klipsch Fans as a whole, and obviously doesn’t provide any value to KGI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2