Former “Klipsch Lifer?”

DizRotus

• Moderators
On 1/20/2023 at 9:02 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

So do you have 4 Supers to play with? Well, I do. Pretty sure you have enough TI Chip amps to connect, if not, I have a whole bunch of those too. I'll call you in Feb. to discuss. Thanks for your posts.

That’s my next todo in terms of the Forum, cleaning up the KGI trademark stuff. Addressing prefix’s like “Super” [trademarked name of current Heritage Speaker] or suffix’s for a new version like 1.5 preceded by a currently trademarked name, or using portmanteaus with parts of two or more trademarked names.

Can you imagine what GM would do if they saw a modified GM car, or worse yet, one built by someone else, named using the first part of a trademarked name like Corvette and the last part of another trademarked car like Bel-Aire? They would go ape shit crazy is what would happen. 

I have to figure a way, with Roy, to transition to that and preserve the current threads. But it s very problematic. I get at least a few first posts a week in threads, some years old, with a modified trademarked name in the title asking a question about how to do this or that. I can’t approve them.

A couple of months ago someone posted in Garage Sale section Hand Built Klipschorn speakers. They were built by a “master woodworker” in the Houston area (not Shinall). I changed the title to Hand Built Corner Horn speaker rather than delete the ad. I got several PMs asking why I changed it. (Because it’s an insult to Klipsch fans and a Trademark violation). Most understood and were clarifying it wasn’t because he had drivers, maybe horns, and crossovers from peddlers because that was mentioned. I pointed out there were at least 3 sets of speakers also listed at the time with peddler parts, it doesn’t matter. Another example of the bizarre deductive mental processes of some. 

In September a new member posted a question about the Heritage Jubilee bass bin if anyone had any plans. I responded that I did, in multiple cad formats, he could prepay me now and I would send plans when the patent expired (2039). He never responded. 

I could go on forever, but in short, the DIY/Mods stuff does impact the Forum in a negative way due to people not understanding the subtle distinctions where IP is concerned.

One think about PWK, is was always big on the IP and protecting the IP and current patents.

Hate to say this but, all the advertising in the world has not stopped the word of mouth referral on this forum.

That is one.

Another is, all the advertising globally has not stopped the

new and foreign traffic of new members that come everyday looking for speakers to purchase with questions about which speaker, in their particular setting and circumstance. Be it Heritage, Pro, and HT. Whether they do online order or dealer, we facilitate sales period.

We meet, greet and, make a substantial bottom line benefit to KGI.

If this isn't the case above and beyond the other problems in setting up an troubleshooting, etc., then why have we been spinning our wheels for good corporate will towards the Klipsch brand,

in the second place. No one but customers and fellow members have said thanks.

Even helping out during covid, especially.

No, sorry but, respectfully disagree.

Could go on yet, what is the point.

• Like 3

The two posts by @Travis In Austin make it clear, as we all knew, that the forum is untenable. You cannot promote “free” speech discussions in an OEM controlled forum while protecting IP, trademarks, goodwill etc for the manufacturer’s products. Nor should the OEM do so for a forum so dominated by people who provide such a small revenue stream.

post a shutdown date, and turn off the lights.

Thanks to one and all, I’ve learned a lot. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Nooooooo!

I've been on here more than twenty years and I'm still learning things about Klipsch and Klipsch products. 

This place is a veritable database of info, a lot of which you can't find in the regular Klipsch online presence. Sure things are sometimes labeled incorrectly, given wrong info but there is also help given to folks that they sometimes can't get when they call Klipsch support. We do have goofballs on here as well. A small price to pay. I might be one of them... 

• Like 5

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, billybob said:

Hate to say this but, all the advertising in the world has not stopped the word of mouth referral on this forum.

That is one.

Another is, all the advertising globally has not stopped the

new and foreign traffic of new members that come everyday looking for speakers to purchase with questions about which speaker, in their particular setting and circumstance. Be it Heritage, Pro, and HT. Whether they do online order or dealer, we facilitate sales period

I agree with that 100%. But that’s not why this Forum exists.

32 minutes ago, billybob said:

We meet, greet and, make a substantial bottom line benefit to KGI.

I’m sorry to say that’s just not reality. Unless a hundredth of one percent of annual gross sales is “substantial” (it’s probably really less than half of that, but I’m trying to bring reality into this because it gets lost in myth). I don’t know where the myth got started that the Forum is a substantial revenue generator, it’s been  kicked around in one or another for at least 15 years but it’s based on utter speculation and never numbers. I think it’s just human nature that people, individually or in groups, tend to inflate their significance or importance to an organization or effort. 

48 minutes ago, billybob said:

then why have we been spinning our wheels for good corporate will towards the Klipsch brand,

Because we don’t do it for thanks, we do it because we derive some sort of satisfaction or benefit from participating in the Forum, (in some cases for over 3 decades). 

I don’t think anyone does it for thanks from KGI. I certainly don’t (never been thanked by KGI for being a moderator never expected or even thought about it).I think it’s like any other common interest Forum, you do it out of love/enjoyment of a product, hobby, or interest. Some enjoy imparting knowledge, because they received knowledge (or wish to appear knowledgeable?). Some just like to buy and sell. Some, like me, like to learn and continue to learn and have gotten more out of the Forum than could ever give back but keep trying. It doesn’t really matter, everyone is equally important.

However, I always try and thank people for helping others on here, I don’t catch them all and I try to say it in words, not just clicking a Thank You  symbol. But I was raised by a mom from Texas, we just call it good manners.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Marvel said:

This place is a veritable database of info, a lot of which you can't find in the regular Klipsch online presence. Sure things are sometimes labeled incorrectly, given wrong info but there is also help given to folks that they sometimes can't get when they call Klipsch support. We do have goofballs on here as well. A small price to pay. I might be one of them... 

You are the example I try to live by Bruce. The world, not just this Forum, needs more like you in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

The two posts by @Travis In Austin make it clear, as we all knew, that the forum is untenable. You cannot promote “free” speech discussions in an OEM controlled forum while protecting IP, trademarks, goodwill etc for the manufacturer’s products. Nor should the OEM do so for a forum so dominated by people who provide such a small revenue stream.

Thanks to one and all, I’ve learned a lot. 

15 years ago when Amy and Trey were running the show, some member got butt hurt over something, can’t remember what (Parrot getting booted? No personal attacks, I don’t know??). So he created a website KlipschKorner I think it was, or something like that, with a full functioning Forum. Announced it on the Forum, said he was leaving for good because of whatever issue he and others were having. About a half dozen left with him, a good 25 checked in over there to see what it was, they were all back in less than a month. 

Yes it’s untenable, will probably only be around for another 25 years, and by that time it will be merged into the new latest greatest platform because unlike most s, a new generation of social media aficionados will prefer FaceBook or whatever it is then 

What got me on this forum was hearing a pair of Heresys for the first time in the background at one of the many bars I service.

Every bar has a sound system of some degree, but nothing in the ten years (at that time) caught my ears like that.

A closer look showed a Klipsch label, and a couple of google searches later I wound up here. 

A couple of weeks later and I wound up bringing a used pair of Heresys home.

And this forum has been a roadmap ever since.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MEH Synergy said:

I hear what Travis is saying, I agree  with Bruce and I side with the opinion of @billybob however wrong it may be. 

Lol, I always have regrets when posting here. Posters remorse.  Was going to delete.

Should have said less of we, as forum too diverse to speak for. 

Bottom line, have no where else to go. Best forum of its kind online. Good evening and thanks.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, geoff. said:

What got me on this forum was hearing a pair of Heresys for the first time in the background at one of the many bars I service.

Every bar has a sound system of some degree, but nothing in the ten years (at that time) caught my ears like that.

A closer look showed a Klipsch label, and a couple of google searches later I wound up here. 

A couple of weeks later and I wound up bringing a used pair of Heresys home.

And this forum has been a roadmap ever since.

Seem to recall you helping add to that roadmap over the years.

what do you service?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Lol, I always have regrets when posting here. Posters remorse.  Was going to delete.

Should have said less of we, as forum too diverse to speak for.

Bottom line, have no where else to go. Best forum of its kind online. Good evening and thanks.

Well Polk Audio has a Forum, that’s about it for manufacturer sponsored loudspeaker forums (trust me I have looked). 

I don’t subscribe to the notion that things can’t be better, suggestions should and are welcomed (at least with me). However, there are some recent shifts, major ones to some, but I think with some additional language here and there in Technical and other sections things can be improved for everyone in what is allowed, other places to go for other topics. 

Priorities for me are:

Spamers with Hyperlinks

Preventing Fraud in Garage Sale 

A personal welcome to every new poster, even I know they just want the date of their speakers and will be gone

Recognizing those that help others

Keeping Garage Sale a good place where everyone is reasonable happy

• Like 2