When do I know when to Add/Replace ferrofluid in tweeter & Mid drivers?

RichMaty

I just swapped out all my diaphragms to Ti in my KLF20s & KLF10s. Should I add a little ferrofluid to the gap in the magnet?  How do I know if I need to add some or do I need to replace it completely?  Just trying to do some preventative maintenance. Any info would be great. 
thanks

rich

I didn’t swap out the Mids/Squakers in the klf20s yet, just all the tweeters.  I’ve heard that the Ti Mids do have a bit of overlap with the tweeters when swapped in. I’m going to try them out Tomorrow and see how they sound to me. Some people say they love them some people don’t. I’m gonna give them a listen then I might buy the band pass filters and throw them on and see what they sound like with those. To be honest, just changing out all the tweeters made a noticeable  difference and sound and they sound pretty good even with the stock mids in them right now. Nice thing about these things is that they are easily reversible if you don’t like them. I’ll see how it goes tomorrow. 
thanks

rich

• Like 1

My K-79k's had it. I cleaned it out and put in new when I checked my diaphragms. I only did this because I'd read on this forum that it can dry out and be gummy. Mine was not but I'd ordered the fluid so replaced it. I don't know about "recovering" I don't think there's an audible difference. IIRC, it's to keep the voice coils cool and operating within their wattage ratings. 

Parts Express has the amount for 1" voice coils is about $7 per. They have measured amounts for the size of the VC. The kits are complete.

I may have killed one of my original diaphragms and had to order Ti replacements from Klipsch. I checked to see if they would be compatible w/ the ferrofluid and they are per Trey and CBH. The replacements arrive today. Will install one tonight and compare with the working phenolic before changing that one. I will re-do the fluid again.

Please, no admonishments necessary as I'm beating myself up about it. 

Best advice-   if it works, don't fix it! 

Update-

The Ti diaphragms arrived 3 hrs ago. I put one replacement in an hour ago. When I removed the old phenolic, the ferrofluid all remained in the voice coil gap so I used that. I cleaned a minimal amount off of the old vc but that was it. I put the new Ti diaphragm in after reading 8.5 ohms and put it all back together. Sounds great so far. Will do a lot more listening. 

• Like 2

I haven’t added any fluid into any of the magnets when replacing the diaphragms with Ti ones. Just wiped a little fluid from the old diaphragms didn’t seem like enough to add more in. Used all speakers for a week already and everything seems fine. Everything sounds great. I’m going to swap in the Ti squawkers/mids today and see how they sound next. 
thanks for all the feed back

rich

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...