Inherited 6 La Scalas - Need some assistance please

Ed Wolinski

I hate to interject in this thread (because the screw topic doesn't concern me, and I have nothing of much value to contribute), but I'm curious - specifically which screws are the issue? I assume it's any screws near/in the crossover, but does this include mounting screws? Cabinet assembly screws?

Are all Klipsch crossovers after a certain year using SS fasteners (let's say AK3 and AK4 crossovers)?

I will add that irrespective of actual measurements taken as outlined in this thread, if I were concerned about this issue, I would avoid metal of all types. Just from my own industrial experience, any substance that can conduct electricity does have some level of impact on magnetic fields. To what degree depends on the material, and how that translates into attenuating audio frequencies I defer to those that are experimenting and taking the measurements.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TasDom said:

https://www.acrytech.com/product-category/speaker-cabinet-coatings/

I'd go with DuraTex in lieu of painting. Much more forgiving and more durable than paint.

Ah. Cool. A PDF on the website shows where one can do a 'leather look'. I have a wall in my living room that is painted red & black faux leather. This is the ticket. THANK YOU!

Edited by Ed Wolinski
added info
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Quad Khorns said:

I hate to interject in this thread (because the screw topic doesn't concern me, and I have nothing of much value to contribute), but I'm curious - specifically which screws are the issue? I assume it's any screws near/in the crossover, but does this include mounting screws? Cabinet assembly screws?

4CFD8235-8C56-4F51-9D6B-61F7A8F9DD08.jpeg.3b011c13febc96c0561ef013c1d3c3b0.jpegIt is the Phillips head screw passing through and securing the round inductor (coil) in the top right corner of the photo (AA Khorn network). The assembly screws outside the center of the inductor should be of little to no consequence. 

1 hour ago, Klipschguy said:

Phillips head screw passing through and securing the round inductor (coil) in the top right corner of the photo (AA Khorn network). The assembly screws outside the center of the inductor should be of little to no consequence. 

Gotcha, that certainly makes sense. Thanks.

FYI, reviewing a picture of my AK3 networks suggests bronze-colored screws.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ed Wolinski said:

Ah. Cool. A PDF on the website shows where one can do a 'leather look'. I have a wall in my living room that is painted red & black faux leather. This is the ticket. THANK YOU!

Yes you could do leather black.

Browns or monochromatic are out. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

@Ed Wolinski,

With regards to the AA crossover recaps using polyesters,

What were your impressions?

Thanks!

I could not be happier with the new capacitor replacement kits from JEM.  Listening to a pair side by side (one uncapped and the other with new caps) has a noticeable difference. The uncapped one sounded a bit “muddy”.  Well worth the time, money and effort to recap them.  

• Like 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

Gotcha, that certainly makes sense. Thanks.

FYI, reviewing a picture of my AK3 networks suggests bronze-colored screws.

Should be brass, bronze is ferrous/magnetic. Test with magnet.

And the only screw at issue is the one keeping the air core inductor(s) in place.

The AKE was well after the issue with the AA.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

fields. To what degree depends on the material, and how that translates into attenuating audio frequencies I defer to those that are experimenting and taking the measurements.  

What about duct tape, nylon zip ties, or how t glue to secure the inductor to the board vs a screw down the center? The duct tape is a joke, ignore.

If you have brass holding your inductor down it should be no issue. Can you post a photo of one of them that shows the inductor and the screw.

1 hour ago, Travis In Austin said:

What about duct tape, nylon zip ties, or how t glue to secure the inductor to the board vs a screw down the center? The duct tape is a joke, ignore.

If you have brass holding your inductor down it should be no issue. Can you post a photo of one of them that shows the inductor and the screw.

Put 10,000 volts on that zip tie and if conducts - don't use it jk...

I don't know the actual material of the screws, I just noted the bronze color. Looking at a high definition picture, it looks more bronze color than brass. Probably just tarnished brass...777243179_AK3resized.thumb.jpg.3ecb628298f9a7b03b2826b056cec461.jpg. Attached is a picture. In this set of KHorns, they are tri-amped and use an active crossover.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Quad Khorns said:

Put 10,000 volts on that zip tie and if conducts - don't use it jk...

I don't know the actual material of the screws, I just noted the bronze color. Looking at a high definition picture, it looks more bronze color than brass. Probably just tarnished brass...777243179_AK3resized.thumb.jpg.3ecb628298f9a7b03b2826b056cec461.jpg. Attached is a picture. In this set of KHorns, they are tri-amped and use an active crossover.

Agree, tarnished brass = non-ferrous/non-magnetic. But a magnet on those steel wood screws (to test your magnet of course), then magnet on each of the 3 screws holding the air cores down, and it the are not magnetic you are good to go as per @Chief bonehead

I would see what if @mboxler or @Deang or @Edgar see anything I may have missed. They obviously have an informed and experienced background, mine is rudimentary - I can but a round pin in a round hole, grab the right screwdriver for the job, and determine what is something is magnetic or not, beyond that, not so much.

Travis

20 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

I would see what if @mboxler or @Deang or @Edgar see anything I may have missed.

I found this: https://testbook.com/question-answer/if-a-brass-core-of-an-inductor-is-replaced-by-an-i--5eb0442cf60d5d42e6590554

Scroll down to where it says, "The type of core material:" and read the bolded text.

A brass screw will actually reduce the inductance of an air core inductor.