Inherited 6 La Scalas - Need some assistance please

Ed Wolinski

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I found this: https://testbook.com/question-answer/if-a-brass-core-of-an-inductor-is-replaced-by-an-i--5eb0442cf60d5d42e6590554

Scroll down to where it says, "The type of core material:" and read the bolded text.

A brass screw will actually reduce the inductance of an air core inductor.

Hold the phone. I will read it, I promise. However, don’t we have 2 or 3

people measuring the inductors with brass screws and they measure what they are supposed to measure. If that’s the case isn’t it meaningless?

Did Bonehead say non-magnetic stainless or

brass.

You all laughed when I said duct tape, I bet some of you are not laughing now. “That ‘ill be five dollars”

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Quad Khorns said:

I assume you meant bronze coated steel, pure bronze is not magnetic.

No I meant (incorrectly) bronze, but forgot the only bronze I was familiar with had a little iron for strength. Forgot pure bronze is onlyc copper and tin, like cymbals.

Bronze is highly conductive though isn’t it?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Deang said:

Are brass screws that expensive, lol. 

There might be something to debate about if we didn’t have a schematic telling us what the correct value is. 

What I mean to say is, by measure, the inductors with the brass screw measures exactly what the schematic calls for?

So even though the paper says it can lower the value, it isn’t (in this situation) so test easy tonight?

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, amped said:

@DeangBut then you're not getting the approved Klipsch sound. I recommend GEM for the genuine approved magnetic and non-magnetic screws as were installed at the factory if the 40 year old originals show signs of flux leakage and or cosmic ray damage.

I have a supply of OEM ones from the factory, cryogenically treated. $29.95.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/23/2023 at 7:19 PM, Travis In Austin said:

Who knows Mr. Henry's other great achievement besides discovering electromagnetic induction (hint, it's related to history and learning). Where does his portrait hang in Washington, D.C.?

Nobody? Nobody knew this? Probably nobody read it because it was at the end of one of my rambles.

Science, Science, Science, it’s all about the science (to a rational point then your ears need to tell you) per Richard C, Heyser, PWK, @Chief bonehead (in multiple quotes on this Forum and in classes)

It’s all about the science/engineering for me, I love the history of it, with a passion. I rely on the engineers and technical experts in here to educate me on what the technical things mean in a practical way.

https://siarchives.si.edu/history/joseph-henry

His portrait hangs inside the original Smithsonian (the “Castle”). 

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all who provided input on me the new guy's requests for 6 40 some year old La Scalas.   Here is the update: The 4 Non-Framed La Scalas have been cleaned, inspected, JEM recapped and painted with the recommended Dura-Tex. They have been played thru with different inductor coil mechanical fasteners. In all honesty, I believe that the stainless steel screw makes the most pleasing difference in the final product with regard to using steel, brass, nothing, a wood stick or a spot of RTV. The Dura-Tex coating I created was indeed the 'leather look". Looks great. Also sent some input info on the faux leather process back to the guy at Dura-Tex. He emailed back and thanked me for the input. Right now, I have 4 of the 6 200 watt La Scalas looking sharp and playing    L O U D.  Finally,  I have found that all 6 of them are labeled "industrial" on the back panel.   The aluminum framed pair are still undergoing restoration.   Interesting side note on the AL Crossovers...Both AL crossovers were found to have one Brass and one Steel screw installed (looked like factory) when removed.   Thanks again for all of your help. 

Edited by Ed Wolinski
Underline and say thanks again.
  • Like 2