Heritage Veneer Question

Bigcat1972

Hello!, I picked up a pair of Quartets that were black.  The black finish has some blemishes and after removing some paint fr0m the bottom, discovered that the veneer was a dark stained (appears to be) walnut.  The seller was the original owner, the tags indicate a black finish, did Klipsch paint these black due to imperfections in the veneer when manufactured?  I was surprised and very happy! 

Thanks for any information you may have.

Cheers,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigcat1972 said:

Hello!, I picked up a pair of Quartets that were black.  The black finish has some blemishes and after removing some paint fr0m the bottom, discovered that the veneer was a dark stained (appears to be) walnut.  The seller was the original owner, the tags indicate a black finish, did Klipsch paint these black due to imperfections in the veneer when manufactured?  I was surprised and very happy! 

Thanks for any information you may have.

Cheers,

Yes, sound so unds like it.

Welcome  @Bigcat1972

Edited by billybob

I’ve read the black painted speakers were often, but not always, veneer defects. I recently sanded some old black painted Klipsch bookshelves down and it was some work. The veneer was thicker than I expected, though, so that was nice. Mine had other issues so I put on new veneers and stained. 

1 hour ago, Bigcat1972 said:

Klipsch paint these black due to imperfections in the veneer when manufactured?  I was surprised and very happy! 

if the veneer book-matches on both speakers  ,    then you're really lucky  ,  take pictures .

There are some Fortes 1s for sale in my area. Walnut finish but the tags are missing from the back. As shown below, the tops on one to seems to be from 3 pieces of veneer, the other 2 pieces. The grain doesn't match either. I'm doubting they were consecutive serial numbers. 

Outside of this issue and the passive radiator dust caps pushed in, they look pretty good.  They're asking $1k which seems a bit steep. 

Thoughts? 

received_2241557386051980.thumb.jpeg.56f886fbe7a374ef8f2a5c93daaa3ac3.jpegreceived_1240905386837515.thumb.jpeg.26f7cf2ebba6c7f97cc7e46d1449994e.jpeg