Ideas on an affordable amp for the Master Bedroom

RickD

Hello - I've got a pair of RP-150M bookshelf speakers that I picked up at a sale awhile back. I wasn't sure how good the quality of sound they could produce until I connected them up to my McIntosh MA-352. Although they aren't in the same league as my khorns, they do sound pretty good for such a small speaker. I'm looking for some ideas on a not to expensive integrated amp that is able to drive these speakers.  I've read they need at least 60w per channel. I'll probably upgrade the DAC in my main system (RME ADI-2 DAC FS) and use the RME in the bedroom. Ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, RickD said:

I'm looking for some ideas on a not to expensive integrated amp that is able to drive these speakers.  

Yamaha  A-S 501   https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s501/index.html

Yamaha  R-S202   https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s202/specs.html#product-tabs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

I wasn't aware that Yamaha still uses the "Natural Sound" designation for some of their components; I remember this from the mid-1980's, when I was looking at the first real gear to purchase after becoming a DINK.

I came very close to purchasing the NS-10 bookshelf speakers, until the Boston Acoustics A60's entered my world.  I bought my Fortes four years later, and have never let go of them :-).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RickD said:

I've read they need at least 60w per channel.

It's not what they "need"; it's the max power they can handle.

I'll second the  Yamaha suggestions but argue you can get away with a lower powered A-S301. You're system is in a bedroom and not likely large enough to require a lot of power/efficient speakers to fill the room with sound. And I don't expect you'll be cranking a bedroom system. You'll be playing just loud enough to mask the noisy mattress springs...😃

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. The VU/Power Meters on my McIntosh are accurate so I can test the speakers and see what power they really need. My Khorns seldom reach 1 watt. What to do with the other 199?

These RP-160s will require a little more.

10 hours ago, RickD said:

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. The VU/Power Meters on my McIntosh are accurate so I can test the speakers and see what power they really need. My Khorns seldom reach 1 watt. What to do with the other 199?

These RP-160s will require a little more.

You will find rather inefficient speakers still average 3 watts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henry4841 said:

On peaks, not average.

Most any quality amplifier will work fine for most that use Klipsch speakers. Think quality over quantity because horns and efficient speakers can be very unforgiving. 

My McIntosh MA352 is a good fit for my modified Khorns, sound is spectacular. I can't justify spending that kind of money for an amp to drive bookshelf speakers. The Yamaha amps suggested are more reasonable.