Forte Woofer -- is this okay?

jcn3

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Have seen this before around the butyl material. 

Would ask seller has he tried to clean with vinegar, water, etc...

Sure others have seen this.

Maybe they will respond. May be interesting to see the grilles.

the seller says that they have been untouched.  they're oak (the finish needs some sanding and re-oiling -- no big deal).  grilles are in good shape;  the passive radiators are in good shape.

• Like 1

My forte ii looked similar when I got them 8 years ago.  Look the same now.  Sound as they should and I like the grilles on, so I’ve never touched them.  

They lived their life in FL, and at least the last couple years in a garage before the owners wife made him get rid of them.  I assume it’s just from the humidity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jcn3 said:

the seller says that they have been untouched.  they're oak (the finish needs some sanding and re-oiling -- no big deal).  grilles are in good shape;  the passive radiators are in good shape.

Yes, they look decent otherwise. Like oak myself.

2 minutes ago, winglet said:

My forte ii looked similar when I got them 8 years ago.  Look the same now.  Sound as they should and I like the grilles on, so I’ve never touched them.  

They lived their life in FL, and at least the last couple years in a garage before the owners wife made him get rid of them.  I assume it’s just from the humidity.

Could well have been stored.

Their ‘training center’ is an little old brick building on main st..  Probably turn the ac off every night all summer.

I wouldn’t worry if they sound good.  If anything, use it to negotiate lower.  

How do you feel about the oak color tho?  Not nearly as nice as your walnut heresy and chorus.

• Like 1

@billybob -- they're asking $1k.  these days, not a bad price, but still seems high for oak.

@winglet -- i'm certainly mixed on oak -- definitely prefer walnut.  i'm sure with some sanding and tung oil the oak would look much better.  re the chorus -- i actually sold them which in retrospect was a big mistake.

• Like 2

I've seen that on KG4 woofers in the past. I usually start with using a little cleaning spray on a paper towel, then use Amorall cleaning wipes to get them back to black. If you can't get them black yet, you can lightly use a magic eraser. After it's black, I use Amorall protectant wipes.

• Like 2