DIY acoustic panels

dtr20

I want to make a couple of DIY acoustic panels. I have some canvas pictures that I'm planning on building up the frame to make it 2 inches deep. I really don't want to use fiberglass insulating as these will be in the room with us. I've heard using moving blankets or towels. Any suggestions? Thanks

On 1/22/2023 at 5:05 AM, dtr20 said:

I originally wanted to do this, but you can't find it anymore

Sorry I did not notice that fact....its a plain shame. I am currently acquiring panels with the standard Rockwool inside. I figure as long as the backs are covered also it should not be an issue.

I follow a group Facebook that I believe is backed by GIK acoustics.  Alot of folks on their wrap their complete panel with landscape fabric prior to wrapping with the finish fabric.  Apparently, it has now effect on the way to absorb/control sound, but still blocks and air borne fibers. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I follow a group Facebook that I believe is backed by GIK acoustics.  Alot of folks on their wrap their complete panel with landscape fabric prior to wrapping with the finish fabric.  Apparently, it has now effect on the way to absorb/control sound, but still blocks and air borne fibers. 

Yep, I'd have no problem with that.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dtr20 said:

My goal is to absorb frequencies on the walls from reflecting

I am still trying to understand how this works. 

Do do you double up the 2" think panels to make them work for all frequencies or are you just worried about higher frequencies? 

I ran a room calculator on their site and a good sized theoretical room (22 x 17 x 10) needs 17 panels.  They sell 6 for $110 so if they needed to be double thick still not bad if you DIY some simple wood frames.  They also said to use a relatively transparent fabric. 

I'm just trying to stop the first point of reflection for the higher frequencies since one of my speakers is near a wall. I I'll try putting 2 panels behind my seating position to see if that helps at all. I've never messed with acoustic treatments before.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I'm just trying to stop the first point of reflection for the higher frequencies since one of my speakers is near a wall. I I'll try putting 2 panels behind my seating position to see if that helps at all. I've never messed with acoustic treatments before.

There is a lot going on here. 

The website that you ordered from has a service where they will analyze your room. 

Post what you come up with.