Heresy 1 Crossover Question

Giarc60

Hello. I recently picked up a pair of mismatched Heresy 1 speakers. One is from 1975 and the other one is from 1982. I took the backs off and the 1975 one has a type D crossover and the other one is type E. I want to replace the capacitors, but I am curious if the ones on the 1975 one are original or have been replaced at some point. They are dark brown and round with no markings. 97E9CBEB-595D-4A8D-800A-5A8BE9D93F5B.thumb.jpeg.8da72fff17a40bba57fd9d0e0ae939af.jpeg

• Moderators

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't know the technical intricacies on the differences between the two X0s ("D" and "E") but I can tell you what they will need to answer your questions with precision. 

If you can photograph the labels with serial numbers, and the insides of each speakers showing the tweeter and squawker drivers this will help them to ensure that you have what is supposed to be in there for that year, etc. Then they will be able to tell you what you need to do to have them acoustically identical. 

JEM Electronics will probably be able to tell you what the differences are between the D and E are in terms of parts.

@OO1Randy, can you tell from the crossovers and year what drivers should be in there?

Once all of that is pinned down then the Historian and others can tell you what you might be able to do to get these identical, using Klipsch approved parts and drivers. 

Travis

• Like 1

@Travis In Austin  @Giarc60

The D  Network   is original  , although  it's  extremely rare  with these round capacitors    , you can see this by the metal holders of the capacitors   and no other holes in the wooden board to indicate that these were an Add-on 

the Driver combination is the Alnico round magnet K-77/EV T-35   tweeter  , the K-55M Alnico  Midrange driver   -the Badge is the PWK Pie badge .

the woofers  can be  -   2 types   A)- the orange  surround K-22 woofer  /EV SP-12B    or   B-  the Alnico K-22  

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Deang said:

The only difference between the two networks is that the Type E reverses polarity for the mid range driver.

That means his mid range is out of phase, and so they should suck. The bad news.

The good news is he can upgrade both with JEM parts, and reverse the polarity for the squawker on one of them, identical phase again, and they will be acoustically identical right? Assuming same drivers/woofer?

The only hard part is to see if he prefers the polarity of the D or the E?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Giarc60 said:

One is from 1975 and the other one is from 1982. I took the backs off and the 1975 one has a type D crossover and the other one is type E.

@OO1 I'm sure you saw this, he has one from '75 and one from '82. Same drivers in both, just the woofer might be different?

12 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

@OO1 I'm sure you saw this, he has one from '75 and one from '82. Same drivers in both, just the woofer might be different?

the Driver combination for the 82 is different ,  the woofer is the 8 Ohms  ferrite K-22 -E  Tweeter is the EV T-35 ferrite square magnet ,

However , the Midrange driver can vary in 1982 .    the pictures of the OP shows the K-52H Heppner   

• Moderators
1 minute ago, OO1 said:

the Driver combination for the 82 is different ,  the woofer is the 8 Ohms  ferrite K-22 -E  Tweeter is the EV T-35 ferrite square magnet ,

However , the Midrange driver can vary IN 1982 .   but the pictures of the OP shows the K-52H Heppner  

So update both crossovers with the JEM. Reverse polarity on one of them so they are identical on the midrange polarity. Then listen to them, left, right, left, right, and see if there is an audible difference? @Deang does that make sense, or is there something about one of those drivers that has a unique sound that he will want to find a particular single driver to get a more matching sound?

10 minutes ago, Giarc60 said:

Now the 1975 speaker. 

2B3680DA-53EF-43AE-8DB3-E09BE852F798.jpeg

The tweeter of the 1975 Heresy was replaced  with a square magnet k-77 ( ferrite )-,  the Letter R  stamp indicates   a "  Replacement "  driver from klipsch . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OO1 said:

The tweeter of the 1975 Heresy was replaced  with a square magnet k-77 ( ferrite )-,  the Letter R  stamp indicates   a "  Replacement "  driver from klipsch . 

the transition from the alnico k-77 (round) to the ceramic k77 (square) happened around 1981.  my '75 heresys and '76 cornwalls both have the alnico k-77 (round).

8 hours ago, Giarc60 said:

Now the 1975 speaker. 

2B3680DA-53EF-43AE-8DB3-E09BE852F798.jpeg

E0C196D3-2226-4139-A634-9B47B098BB95.jpeg

as was mentioned, the tweeter in your '75 is almost certainly a replacement to match the tweeter in the other heresy.  in '75 they were using the round alnico k-77 tweeter.  the midrange and the woofer look original.