Heresy 1 Crossover Question

Giarc60

Reversing polarity can be done by reversing the wires to a driver at the terminal strip on the balancing network. This inverts the movement of that driver by 180 degrees and changes the interaction of that driver’s output with other drivers in the crossover region.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Giarc60 said:

What exactly is reversing polarity mean ?

On the E, as compared to the D, the + and - wires are reversed on the tweeter (and apparently the Squawker horn as well).

so to match a D to an E you switch the positive to the negative, and negative to positive on the tweeter on the D to make it an E. You do the same on the Squawker horn.

This may have been done previously by someone else, so to verify you will want to post a few photos of the D and E along with the wires running up to the two drivers and folks will be able to tell you.

13 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

What’s that black capacitor or whatever that is connected to the back side of the terminal block?  I’ve never seen that on any of the E networks I’ve had.  Is that because it has the K-52H versus the K-55V?

That cap is across the woofer and is what makes it an E-2 (along with the inductor change). Don't know why the crossover is mismarked.

14 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

That cap is across the woofer and is what makes it an E-2 (along with the inductor change). Don't know why the crossover is mismarked.

I've always assumed that as they were transitioning to the E2 there were still a lot of E labels on hand.  My E2 network had an E label and the number 2 was stamped next to the E with no color.  

• Like 1

I've never seen an E2 with metal cans  before  so this could very well be a  modified  E  network   , the  E2  usually ship with  small black   caps  instead of cans  

the  E2  woofer inductor  is 4mH whereas the E is 2,5mH.  

Upgrading E-2 Crossovers - Technical/Restorations - The Klipsch Audio  Community

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

I've never seen a E2 with metal cans  before  so this could very well be a  modified  E  network   , the  E2  usually ship with  small black   caps  instead of cans  

the  E2  woofer inductor  is 4mH whereas the E is 2,5mH.  

My E2 networks.  Notice the stamped 2 next to the E and the metal cans.

IMG_1443.jpg

15 hours ago, OO1 said:

I've never seen an E2 with metal cans  before  so this could very well be a  modified  E  network   , the  E2  usually ship with  small black   caps  instead of cans  

the  E2  woofer inductor  is 4mH whereas the E is 2,5mH.  

Upgrading E-2 Crossovers - Technical/Restorations - The Klipsch Audio  Community

my '84 heresy e-2 crossovers looked exactly like in your picture.

it does appear that the previous owner(s) did a variety of things to try and make the two speakers be "the same."

Were they mine, I'd replace the caps in kind on both, convert the Type D to "E" and replace the K-52-H with a K-55-V.  If the crossover schematics are no longer on the Forum, send me a PM.  If you can find 2 solder terminal K-55-Vs they are all the better. 

• 1 year later...

I've got a pair of 1982 Heresys that have the E-2 crossovers with the PIO caps.  As mentioned above, the crossover plate is labeled "E" with an unpainted "2" stamped next to it.  Photo of 140X932...

spacer.png