Purchasing RP600m II, RP5000F or RP6000F for 11x14 room .. music only

Hifi72

After seeing a few stellar reviews, I'm considering buying a pair of Klipsch RP600M II for my main listening room and pairing with a Yamaha A-S1200.  Before I begin, I know there is a disparity between the price of speakers to amp, but the budget isn't there for new Forte's or Heresy's at the moment, and the used market is pretty scarce locally for the Heritage line leaving my budget options to the 5000F, 6000F II or the 600M II + sub if needed.  With the custom builtin shelving unit on the wall there is an 88" wide recess, for stereo and speakers. Considering the size of the room my gut feeling is that the bookshelves is likely the way to go.  I'm curious if anyone done similar pairing, and what was your experience over time?  I wanted the amp for the looks and lasting build quality but now I'm more concerned with the speakers for performance.  

I want a fun sound, lively with some good bottom end, something that adds a little body to my favourite records and cds.  (classic rock, 80's etc.).  The family loves the The Fives in our living room pulling sound bar duty, and it is something we all enjoy with music and movies.  Very happy with my PRO-250RPW's in our theatre room as well.  Given rest of the house is Klipsch speakers, I'm considering the RP range would be a work for my music room, at least for the time being.  I just don't want to buy a floorstand model if oversized and a bookshelf would suffice.

Appreciate your thoughts.

• Like 1

I have the RP160M in the bedroom. These were my first Klipsch speakers. In my large living room, they are far less impressive compared to my 1972 Heresy speakers. 

In my opinion, if you're equipping your main listening room, you should buy a Heritage speaker set. Be patient and sooner or later a pre-loved Heresy one, two or three wiil show up eventually! 

About the Yamaha amp, the AS1200 used to be on my shortlist too, but also take a look at the Yamaha Yamaha RN2000A which has built in network streaming and is qobus compatible. 

Screenshot_20230124_171933_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

I have the RP160M in the bedroom. These were my first Klipsch speakers. In my large living room, they are far less impressive compared to my 1972 Heresy speakers. 

In my opinion, if you're equipping your main listening room, you should buy a Heritage speaker set. Be patient and sooner or later a pre-loved Heresy one, two or three wiil show up eventually! 

About the Yamaha amp, the AS1200 used to be on my shortlist too, but also take a look at the Yamaha Yamaha RN2000A which has built in network streaming and is qobus compatible. 

Screenshot_20230124_171933_com.android.chrome.jpg

Thanks, I saw that Yamaha come up as well.  Nice one for sure with all those features.  I have the 1200 now (connected to nothing), or otherwise I would look more into the pricing of this one, all things being equal.  

I worry the Heritage line is going to be tough to have in that room.  Were it my larger living room, it would be no question about scale.  Do you find there is any aging of components in the older Heritage line to watch out for?  If I see one, I want to know what to look out for, or hear.  Is the IV line ported now on the Heresy's?  I've been looking since October or so for used Heresy's so I'm trying to find a decent alternative for now.

That's a tough call for me.

The bookshelf + sub combination would cost less than either floorstander pair and would be a killer combination but I suggest you only go that route if you have a way to high pass the signal to the RP600M's. I'd want to alleviate them from trying to reproduce the low frequencies your sub would be reproducing, to protect the speakers particularly at louder volumes. Your amp doesn't have that feature. ;-(

You could do what I did and purchase a couple assembled 80Hz crossovers, put them in plastic project boxes, and wire them to the bookshelf speakers. It's stupid easy and doesn't even require any soldering skills.

If that's too complicated, then I'd suggest either of the floorstanders you're thinking of. They're true full-range speakers with a small footprint.

And even if you aren't having luck finding local Heresy's on the used market, you should not discount older Klipsch floorstanding speakers that often go up for sale on craigslist etal such as the kg, R, KSF, or KLF series. I see deals all the time on the local secondary market. I'm certain you would be satisfied with any of those.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

To update this thread, I eventually took a chance and purchased a mint pair of Forte I's built Nov. '89.  Huge sound even in my small room.  Not overwhelmed with bass at all,  actually I wouldn't want any less.  About 8 ft apart on the short wall.  12ft back to listening position.  There's a wide open holographic presentation to them that I really enjoy.  I'm actually surprised that I enjoy them as much as I do.  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Southern said:

Another proud Forte 1 owner who also listens to classic rock! 

I have my forte's placed 12" from the rear wall and they produce impressive low end bass.

There was a noiceable improvment when I replaced the original caps in the crossover.

Absolutely!  I have mine set about 2.5 ft from the short wall and sitting about the same from the rear wall.  Likely 9ft away from speaker to seating position.  Still experimenting with the fortes distance from the side walls. Roughly 7ft between them at the moment. 

I’ve read about people doing the crossover replacement due to age, did you replace the old one(s) with a factory capacitor from Klipsch?  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 9:26 PM, Peter P. said:

Patience paid off! Good for you.

Thank you!  It took a bit of searching but music sounds very “right” to me with the forte, it’s hard to explain.  I’m very very happy with them. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Hifi72 said:

Absolutely!  I have mine set about 2.5 ft from the short wall and sitting about the same from the rear wall.  Likely 9ft away from speaker to seating position.  Still experimenting with the fortes distance from the side walls. Roughly 7ft between them at the moment. 

I’ve read about people doing the crossover replacement due to age, did you replace the old one(s) with a factory capacitor from Klipsch?  

No I replaced my caps with Solen's due to previous sucess with them and they didn't break the bank. 

I re-worked the x-overs to allow me to bi-amp, unfortunately on the early Forte 1's Klipsch crammed all the x-over components on the back of the terminal cup.

img1936ho3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Southern said:

No I replaced my caps with Solen's due to previous sucess with them and they didn't break the bank. 

I re-worked the x-overs to allow me to bi-amp, unfortunately on the early Forte 1's Klipsch crammed all the x-over components on the back of the terminal cup.

img1936ho3.jpg

Nice job.  I haven’t looked inside yet, but that would have made things a challenge if it’s all on the cup.

On 6/26/2023 at 8:38 PM, Hifi72 said:

Nice job.  I haven’t looked inside yet, but that would have made things a challenge if it’s all on the cup.

Is your terminal cup round or rectangular?  

If it's round there is a good chance that the crossover components are located on the back of the terminal cup, if it's rectangular then the crossover components are mounted to a circuit board.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 2:50 PM, Hifi72 said:

To update this thread, I eventually took a chance and purchased a mint pair of Forte I's built Nov. '89.  Huge sound even in my small room.  Not overwhelmed with bass at all,  actually I wouldn't want any less.  About 8 ft apart on the short wall.  12ft back to listening position.  There's a wide open holographic presentation to them that I really enjoy.  I'm actually surprised that I enjoy them as much as I do.  

I read pretty much all your postings. I want to ask you what is your room size? Is your forte has passive radiator?

Just want to get an idea on referring to my future purchase.

Thanks CCG. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klipschtastic said:

Cheap audio man from YouTube loves the 6000f towers. He said they’re a great value and have really punchy bass. 
He said he even prefers them to the Heresy IV. Ouch!

It might be personal preference.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, CCG said:

I read pretty much all your postings. I want to ask you what is your room size? Is your forte has passive radiator?

Just want to get an idea on referring to my future purchase.

Thanks CCG. 

My room size is roughly 11 x 14 x 9H, and the speakers are located on the short wall.   When constructed the room has a wall shelving unit in this area that surrounds the stereo in each corner 15"D x 21"W up to the ceiling and across to the other side and down again, like an upside-down U shape.  As I have them spaced @8 ft apart it is necessary to bring the speakers out from the wall about 30" to the front baffle to clear the wall unit, but in reality they are roughly a 6"-8" clearance to the passive radiator to wall unit door when they are angled slightly toward the listening position..  Not ideal but in the other direction I would have to place them on an angle in the corners to clear the large window.  My forte's were built in Nov. '89 and have the 12" passive.  Hope this helps.