Klipsch Heritage Jubilee vs. Underground Jubilee Upgrade

diamonddelts

1 hour ago, diamonddelts said:

Hmm. Ok the K691 was used as the main driver in the older design. That would definitely explain the large gap in performance between the two. Makes me really torn between uograding my 3 way Jubes or biting the bullet and getting the Heritage model.

This is going to be a tough decision. Need to see if PE has return policy for cds. I need to hear the Celestion in my current setup to be sure. 

Is there a Klipsch store in Hope or another store in Texas where I can hear the Heritage Jubes?

That will explain some of the performance gap, but certainly not all of it.  As I said, most of the UG Jubilee owners who were at JubFest had better drivers like the TADs and were making comparisons to what they had at home.  I'm not suggesting you shouldn't try the Axi2050 on your current Jubilee.  It's certainly worth exploring if you can get enough of an improvement from your current investment.  Just don't expect a new compression driver to turn your Jubilee into the equal of the Heritage Jubilee.

To find a Klipsch dealer, try using the dealer locator on the website (https://www.klipsch.com/dealers).  There are Certified Heritage Dealers in Texas.  The locator shows which one they are and some of the CH dealers list what Heritage Products they have to demo.  I don't know how current that demo product info is.  It's worth calling them and see.  I'd offer to have you over for a listen, but I'm not anywhere near Texas.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

Hmm. Ok the K691 was used as the main driver in the older design. That would definitely explain the large gap in performance between the two. Makes me really torn between uograding my 3 way Jubes or biting the bullet and getting the Heritage model.

Yes indeed. Lower distortion, and it doesn’t beam. An off the shelf Celestion won’t get you there. Mark had stock Celestion drivers on his UG 402 horns and he said the phase plug made a significant difference.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MMurg said:

That will explain some of the performance gap, but certainly not all of it.  As I said, most of the UG Jubilee owners who were at JubFest had better drivers like the TADs and were making comparisons to what they had at home.  I'm not suggesting you shouldn't try the Axi2050 on your current Jubilee.  It's certainly worth exploring if you can get enough of an improvement from your current investment.  Just don't expect a new compression driver to turn your Jubilee into the equal of the Heritage Jubilee.

To find a Klipsch dealer, try using the dealer locator on the website (https://www.klipsch.com/dealers).  There are Certified Heritage Dealers in Texas.  The locator shows which one they are and some of the CH dealers list what Heritage Products they have to demo.  I don't know how current that demo product info is.  It's worth calling them and see.  I'd offer to have you over for a listen, but I'm not anywhere near Texas.

Here is the thing, someone may mention better mids, better highs, whatever. We were all listening to the full speaker running. What you are hearing is all of it, it is pretty hard to say how much is from bass bin, how much is driver relates to the noticeable improvement. I think with top driver, reduced beaming, and the way it’s getting crossover over are acting together to produce an overall significant improvement. Our brains won’t process like that. We could ask Roy to cut the bass bin off, or Michael, put on Fanfare FTCM, turn off the amps to your bass bin. It’s going to suck if if have a 69, 691, TAD BE or a Celestion. One may suck less than the others, it will still suck, but playing only the 402 not the Bass Bin is unlikely stenbale.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richieb said:

The K691 was the last version used, later built Jubes. The K69 was used in earlier models I believe. The 691 is also used in the newer 396 models with the “mumps” 510 horn.  And someone correct me if I’m mistaken, the 691 is manufactured by B&C? 

What CDs do you have in your UG Jubes?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, MMurg said:

From the PWK Birthday Bash schedule on https://www.klipschmuseum.org/

March 9 - 6:30 - 9:00 pm - Jammin' with Jubilees at the Paul W. Klipsch Visitors Center, bring your playlist!

Typical, “ last to know, third man on the deal team” What movie?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I believe the K-69 was a B&C driver, the K-69a in the above pic is a PAudio BM-D750.

You are correct. Quoting @Chief bonehead it is that B&C “with a twist.”

it’s always the “twist” that makes the difference in everything he does. And for some strange reason his twists seam to always relate to one of 4 things:

1. High efficiency/low distortion

2. Controlled direct ivory . . . 

Well you know the rest

• Moderators
Just now, Travis In Austin said:

it’s always the “twist” that makes the difference in everything he does. And for some strange reason his twists seam to always relate to one of 4 things:

Well you know the rest

I’m not fixing the speech to text, I have the worst head cold right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Well you know the rest

Quoting the Chief:

"K691 is the bnc 75 with a slight mod to the diap." "The 691 driver and bnc 75 are basically the same."

There is no compression driver without a phase plug so far I know. But the K691 will not have the additional phase plug which Roy has constructed to guide the HF better regarding the K402 because it must be specifically calculated for each different driver. This has happened until now only for the use of the Celestion driver.

• Moderators
On 1/27/2023 at 2:04 AM, KT88 said:

There is no compression driver without a phase plug so far I know. But the K691 will not have the additional phase plug which Roy has constructed to guide the HF better regarding the K402 because it must be specifically calculated for each different driver. This has happened until now only for the use of the Celestion driver.

I thought the 691 had a slightly different phase plug than a stock B&C75. Apparently just a modified diaphragm.