Help deciding AVR or PRE/PRO

The Dude

So, I found out this weekend that my Integra DTR 40.2 decided to quit putting out....audio that is.  Though im not opposed to spending $1800.00 for something new, I'm just not sold.  I've always wanted to try Arcam and Anthem and recently came across some deals I could afford.

The first 2 really aren't deals, but within my price range.  The Arcam AVR5 and Anthem MRX540.  Both are Class A/B, but thats not selling point for the area that the DTR is currently in.  I need pre outs which both have, however the Anthem has an output of something like 9vrms which is more than enough to drive any external amp where the Arcam is only 1.

My local Arcam dealer has a B stock Arcam AVR10 for $1699.99, but neither of these 3 units have zone 2 line level out. Which brings me to my next option, I currently have a Marantz SR5015 in my living room that runs my Cornwall IVs and since I have always wanted to run class A/B amplifiers on these to scratch an itch, I figured spring for the Arcam and move it to the Cornwalls and use the Marantz on the main system as it has the Zone 2.

The last option is an older Integra DHC-80.6 for around $1k on the used market.  This has everything I want and good pre amp voltage.  My only concern is how outdated it is specifically how well the 4k pass through is.  In regards to 4k pass through, when it comes to AVRs or PRE/PROS, does 4k mean anything? 

I would suggest looking at a Sony STR-ZA3100ES or STR-ZA5000ES and see if they have the features you’re looking for.

As far as 4k, yes, depending on what you’re connecting to it you’d want to make sure the receiver can handle things like Dolby Vision, HDR, Atmos, etc if your source provides that format.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Never considered Sony,  looks like theirs is 4k pass through with some upscale features.  It appears that they have hdmi zone 2, which isn't real common as most I believe are parallel hdmi outputs.

I will not buy another Sony. I’ve had 2 to die in under 5 years. Now using Marantz. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Now using Marantz

I've been using a SR5015 for my TV room for the past 2 years with great success.  It appears there have been comments on Audioholics that the Marantz has better SQ over the Integra.  The older AV8802a is still a solid piece, unfortunately its still runs a premium on the used market.   If I can get one from a reputable seller for under $1800, Id jump on it.  Even a AV7702/3 would work. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I've been using a SR5015 for my TV room for the past 2 years with great success.  It appears there have been comments on Audioholics that the Marantz has better SQ over the Integra.  The older AV8802a is still a solid piece, unfortunately its still runs a premium on the used market.   If I can get one from a reputable seller for under $1800, Id jump on it.  Even a AV7702/3 would work. 

Here's one in the AVS classifieds

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/marantz-av8802a.3263426/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Here's one in the AVS classifieds

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/marantz-av8802a.3263426/

Awesome, after searching all of the other classifieds, it was last on my list.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I will be doing some extensive research today on this unit.  Stayed as hopefully I will be making a purchase. 

• Like 3

Just made a deal with someone for a Marantz AV7704.  Hopefully I have it by next weekend.   There is some hardware that's less superior such as the DAC and transformer than the AV8802a, but there are some slightly better software packages that it comes with right out of the box.  Plus it was $400 less.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Like the port plugs......lol

Guaranteed clean contacts!

Yeah, at first, I was like WTF, but it reflects how he takes care of stuff.  I mean, where does one even get those made?  He also had all the original packing and responded quicker. 

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah, at first, I was like WTF, but it reflects how he takes care of stuff.  I mean, where does one even get those made?  He also had all the original packing and responded quicker. 

An OCD seller makes for a happy buyer.

Hope it fills all of your needs....enjoy!

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 7:11 PM, YK Thom said:

That is a pretty sweet unit (disclaimer: I am something of a Marantz fanboy), and still using my trusty old SR5008. Mazel Tov!

I figured it made since, SR5015 AVR for the living room, AV7704 with all the features I want for the multipurpose room, Marantz and Klipsch, two icon names in the industry in this house.  I am scheduled to receive it today; I think I will see how it sits on a rack shelf as opposed to a rack mount kit.  

I did identify that the Integra HDMI board is more than likely the culprit.  Apparently, I could remove it and bake it in the oven to get it to work.  Though I wouldn't be out any money and I do have a newer unit on the way, I don't feel like wasting time on something over 10 years old.   

I was hoping to upgrade the multipurpose room to 4k this year, maybe this is the start. 

Only issue now is that I have to find a multichannel amp for the surround sound.  If I spend $350 on 2 channels, I might as well spend $550 for 6-8 channels.  But then I will be forced to finally add 4-6 channels of surround sound speakers that I previously wired for.   This hobby gets expensive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TasDom said:

@The Dude Get it set up yet or still needing amp(s)?

I've got my eye on a couple, but may have to get by with one of my zone amps for now.  

Since i ordered a rack kit, I also decided to paint my rack and redo all the wiring, so everything is torn apart.  Probably be another week or so, hopefully the weekend of the 18th.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 12:42 PM, TasDom said:

@The Dude Get it set up yet or still needing amp(s)?

After a long week of painting the rack and re wiring everything, I finally got everything hooked up and somewhat operational.   I still have few things before the rack is fully shoved into the closet, after which I'll focus on fine tuning the system.  

So far everything is working great and sounding great.  Right out of the gate there's a lot of improvement with the higher preamp voltage.  As for surround duty I'm currently using one of Parasound zone amps until I find a multi-channel that I can afford.

• Like 1

I was able to play with the system a bit and run audyssey and a huge difference it made.  Still need to learn some stuff such as running both subs independently and also try to see if I can run a 2 channel format with subs.  Room is still a mess and under construction,  but hopefully by summer it's setup correctly.