A new thread on an old topic? AL Crossover upgrades

Ed Wolinski

IIRC, Klipsch had samples of new drivers, and the AL was voiced for those. When the actual production drivers arrived, they weren't the same, so they made a change to the crossover (AL2?).  I could be totally wrong, but I thought that was what Dean had posted before. @Deang

15 hours ago, Deang said:

Hi @Ed WolinskiAre you keeping these or selling them?

I am planning on selling the LSI's as soon as I receive the eBay 15" speaker that was recommended above in one and both checked out to be sure both are working properly. Regarding any upgrading the AL crossovers, that is on hold until I get to hear them.

The transformer I need is for a Biamp 1642 sound board. Looking for a board like this to be a parts donor or outright buy one that works, if anybody has a line on one. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

So we have it in one place, what is the issue with the AL?  Was it trying for a really flat response?

Appears so with 3 notch circuits. IMHO sound can be improved by removing notch filters and leave rest alone. Different autotransfomer in the AL than A or AA.

If you are going to sell them, I would fire them up and listen to them. If they sound “okay”, just leave them alone. Most think those old cans are paper in oil (they’re not), and you might be better off selling them as they are. Updating them may actually hurt your resale value. Don’t ask, we know it doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2023 at 7:47 PM, Marvel said:

IIRC, Klipsch had samples of new drivers, and the AL was voiced for those. When the actual production drivers arrived, they weren't the same, so they made a change to the crossover (AL2?).  I could be totally wrong, but I thought that was what Dean had posted before. @Deang

The AL-2 looks to be, for all intents and purposes, an AL-3 with the exception of depleting the stock of the formerly ubiquitous, but now out of favour, 2133s (2.5mH) coils by using them in series to form the 5mH squawker bandpass. 

8 hours ago, geoff. said:

The AL-2 looks to be, for all intents and purposes, an AL-3 with the exception of depleting the stock of the formerly ubiquitous, but now out of favour, 2133s (2.5mH) coils by using them in series to form the 5mH squawker bandpass. 

Yes.

Check out the AK vs. the AK-3

When I figured this one out I started pushing AK-2 users backwards instead of forwards. They only have to change two parts and never have to open the door to the woofer chamber. Those big film caps are fine, and you run into more trouble and hassle by breaking the airtight seal.