Does your spouse or S/O realize the value of your electronics?

wuzzzer

I don't mean sentimental value or attachment to them.  I'm talking cash value.  I asked my wife the other day if something were to happen to me, what would she do with my speakers, TV, etc?  She said she'd list it all on facebook for free.  I know she was just kidding but it made me think does she really know at least the approximate value of what I have?  I see it fairly frequently that people join here and ask about speakers they've inherited.

I think she has an idea, probably thinks more than what I've actually spent.  I have told her how much everything cost minus my K402s.  She knows the first set of Heresy in her office are the most sentimental.  I would hope the kids would want 2 out of the 3 systems.  As long as it's not Cornwall's, she could give away the rest, but something tells me regardless of what happens, I wouldn't know any different. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have been married for only(!) 17 years. My wife knew what she was getting into from the start, and she knew how expensive it was. Never batted an eye. And it's only gotten more expensive since then, and she's still a good sport. I've told her who to go to when something happens to me so they can help her sort it out.

• Like 1

I’ve said this to other audio friends, most spouses have no clue of the entirety let alone the value of equipment in the home.

So, much like a will or trust you should keep a running inventory and value of your gear and be sure she knows where it is.

Also have friends who are knowledgeable and willing to assist in parting out the gear. Nothing in life, including life itself, has a guarantee. Be prepared. A good friend of mine recently lost both parents, albeit elderly, within days of one another. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, richieb said:

I’ve said this to other audio friends, most spouses have no clue of the entirety let alone the value of equipment in the home.

So, much like a will or trust you should keep a running inventory and value of your gear and be sure she knows where it is.

Also have friends who are knowledgeable and willing to assist in parting out the gear. Nothing in life, including life itself, has a guarantee. Be prepared. A good friend of mine recently lost both parents, albeit elderly, within days of one another. 

Only if no divorce. In dissolution proceedings they tend to know the cost of everything, right down to the spare OEM Telefunkens, record cleaning machine and cheater plugs used to eliminate grounds loops.

I guess it is a matter of what there frame of mind is at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Moderators
11 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I don't mean sentimental value or attachment to them.  I'm talking cash value.  I asked my wife the other day if something were to happen to me, what would she do with my speakers, TV, etc?  She said she'd list it all on facebook for free.  I know she was just kidding but it made me think does she really know at least the approximate value of what I have?  I see it fairly frequently that people join here and ask about speakers they've inherited.

Make sure she has your log on here, all she has to say is she is your wife and needs help. seen it at least a half dozen times (unfortunately). 

Even widows who are total strangers get help here. @thebesdrove an hour each way one weekend to help a lady who had about 6 pairs to Klipsch Heritage, and was being told one pair wasn’t working and if she would take a low amount he would take off her hands. He went out there to see if there really was an issue and give straight scoop. He told her what story was, what fair price was as is, what it would be if fixed, etc. IIRC on this one, she wanted to pay him something, gas, time, he wouldn’t take it. 

That is just one example of many. Might always agree on everything, but we have each others backs in times like those.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That we were told toss out as they were garbage, now they have value. 

Some have value. Some they throw in the box with the receiver. I guess if you are desperate enough to buy a receiver you might as well get something thrown in to sweeten the deal...😄

• Like 2

My bride would most likely be happy to have someone take things off her hands.  She'd probably pay you to take those "big ugly teenager speakers" that she will also tell you, sound better than anything she's ever heard.

She won't be sentimental about them.  Perhaps a good riddance  lol.

Been together 34 years, I don't expect her to surprise me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Coytee said:

She won't be sentimental about them.  Perhaps a good riddance  lol.

HaHa, I joke mine would too, but in reality, she is a musician and loves to listen through a good system. So I don't know what she would do...

I built her a system for her own listening pleasure but is afraid to turn it on. Too complex - (simple compared to my other systems)

Imagine all of the great deal some have scored because someone was willed some equipment, but didn't care about it. It's like the nephew inheriting a pristine classic muscle car. He will thrash it to see how fast it will go, then let it go for cash asap. Similarly, I have bought speakers that were willed to someone who really could not care less how long the testator wanted the speakers, how long that person saved to finally score them and would let someone buy a $20k system go for $2k. Some care that the equipment will go to someone who will appreciate it, but not often. 

Before I die, I really should get rid of it all. If nothing else, to save them the 'trouble'.                 

• Like 3

I had an audio buddy who died of cancer a few years ago. He had a very nice system and a huge record collection. I reached out to his wife and told her I would help her with selling whatever she wanted to get rid of. I would take the pictures, post the ads online, box and ship everything. I guess she didn’t trust me because months went by and I never heard from her. Six months later I contacted her again. It was all still there and she wasn’t ready to do anything. I said ok and left it at that. 

Some of his gear was very specific and not something you see every day, especially the speakers. I have not seen any of it show up in the usual places for sale. And none of his family were into the hobby. So I have no idea what became of it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I had an audio buddy who died of cancer a few years ago. He had a very nice system and a huge record collection. I reached out to his wife and told her I would help her with selling whatever she wanted to get rid of. I would take the pictures, post the ads online, box and ship everything. I guess she didn’t trust me because months went by and I never heard from her. Six months later I contacted her again. It was all still there and she wasn’t ready to do anything. I said ok and left it at that. 

Some of his gear was very specific and not something you see every day, especially the speakers. I have not seen any of it show up in the usual places for sale. And none of his family were into the hobby. So I have no idea what became of it.

First, not surprised that you would make a kind offer.

Second, it is not unusual for a widow to never sell/donate her husbands clothes, favorite toys, etc. It’s just hard to say what memories are tied together in those things. Sometimes they are the only tangible/tactile connection they have left. There can also be lots of other reasons not so pleasant, fights with children, grandchildren, etc. He said the record collection was mine! 

Third: I’m sorry for the loss of your friend

• Like 1

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

This didn’t involve a death but I once bought a pair of walnut Chorus for $50 because the guy’s kid had loaded up his garage with a whole bunch of stuff and the guy was sick of having them in the way.

Bratty kids it is perfectly fine, no Karma penalty whatsoever. Doing dad a favor hauling it away. 

But a widow, or daughter selling her dad’s stuff. That is some major Karma altering stuff right there. I remember back 15 years ago there were a couple of guys who boasting about how they got Khorns for ridiculously low price because she didn’t know what her husband had. I was pretty shocked. The thrill of the deal, making the kill.

Come to think of it, IIRC, I think they are both dead. Hmmmmmm

7 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Bratty kids it is perfectly fine, no Karma penalty whatsoever. Doing dad a favor hauling it away. 

But a widow, or daughter selling her dad’s stuff. That is some major Karma altering stuff right there. I remember back 15 years ago there were a couple of guys who boasting about how they got Khorns for ridiculously low price because she didn’t know what her husband had. I was pretty shocked. The thrill of the deal, making the kill.

Come to think of it, IIRC, I think they are both dead. Hmmmmmm

Yeah I would never take advantage of someone if a death had occurred.  This was a case of the kid had wore out his welcome and just assumed his dad would hang on to his stuff forever.  They were in pretty poor shape, one woofer was torn, the cabinets had been stored upside-down on the concrete floor in the guy's garage for who knows how long, grilles were in poor shape.  I cleaned them up the best I could, replaced the grille cloth, listened to them for a year or so then sold them to a friend for $75.

• Like 2