Does your spouse or S/O realize the value of your electronics?

wuzzzer

The Boss has no idea of the value of my stereo gear nor my fishing gear. But the I have no idea the value of her hobbies. It’s been good enough to last almost 49 years. Once I croak, I assume it will go in a garage sale or Goodwill. At that point I won’t care.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Imagine all of the great deal some have scored because someone was willed some equipment, but didn't care about it. It's like the nephew inheriting a pristine classic muscle car. He will thrash it to see how fast it will go, then let it go for cash asap. Similarly, I have bought speakers that were willed to someone who really could not care less how long the testator wanted the speakers, how long that person saved to finally score them and would let someone buy a $20k system go for $2k. Some care that the equipment will go to someone who will appreciate it, but not often. 

Before I die, I really should get rid of it all. If nothing else, to save them the 'trouble'.                 

I think you hit one nail on the head.

A number of years ago (2008), a guy that I'd met were becoming friends.  His mother had just passed so he was living in her condo.  She had a grand piano.  He was a professional musician, played the upright bass.  He had acquired Khorns, LaScalas, Esoteric CD player, McIntosh, Viva 300b, various things all of somewhat expensive nature.  Seems he had inherited some cash when Mom passed....

Backstory:  He was terribly over-weight and didn't move around well.  Years prior, he had slipped in shower, broke through the shower door glass which nearly sliced his arm off so he was unable to play the Upright anymore...  The sad reality is, he was spending funds faster than he made them.

He had borrowed my book about Mr. PWK and wife & I went on a month vacation to Europe and Turkey.  Came home, called to catch up.  Got voicemail.  Called couple days later....voicemail.... Couple days later, his niece called.  Seems he had committed suicide.  Sat upright on his bed, back to the wall....  put a bullet through his head.  I explained the book, she said I could come and get it.

While there, I saw all this electronics stuff.  She had NO interest in it and was "going to get rid" of it.  So, I made a suggestion.  I said, what if I buy it?  She was fine, how soon can you take it away.  I said no so fast....  let me research.  I got a list of everything, went to Ebay, found as best I could, listings of similar items.  Added it up and let's call it $20,000.  I showed her the tally and said "I don't want to see you taken advantage of....  the market price on this seems to be about $20K.  What if I buy it all.....however, now I'm taking a risk and that's not necessarily fair to me.  So, my proposition is, deduct 20% off the top for the risk I'm taking and I'll pay you cash.

So let's call it $16K to her and now, good luck to me.  We did it.  I think I made $3-4,000 myself after it was all said & done.  One reason is, unknown to me, he had a Quad package of brand new Westinghouse 300B's.  I didn't see them.  Put them on Ebay, they alone went for around $1,500 so it was really those that made it worth it for me, everything else, I was just a middle man, currier to help move.

I know the Khorns went to a forum member, a fretless bass guitar went to a buddy of mine.  I kept his upright bass in my office at work, in the corner.  It REALLY looked fantastic in there....  as though I might have a small dash of sophistication but, we all know that's not true.

If you've read this far, I'll steal another 2 minutes of your life.....

When the forum member called me about the Khorns, it happened that I was at this condo.  I said I'll play them for you!

Turned things on, found a Harrison "All Things Must Pass" cd....  I've always loved "What is Life" so moved to it.....hit play....turned the volume up and phone speaker on so he can hear.

(back history:  I have never owned this LP /CD so was unaware that there were TWO versions of this song on it)

There were no vocals.  Where the HEIII are the VOCALS???  OMG, I told this forum member how great they sound and you can't hear squat for vocals...  oh wait, there's some faint vocals (there is some bleed through if you can hear it)....  I'm panicked.... He's on way to get them from North Carolina as I recall, and something has happened.

I jammed my ear to the tweeter....yep.  Jammed to the midrange.....yep......  WHERE ARE THE VOCALS?????

Sigh.  But, as you can see, I can laugh about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

I forget who wrote it, but he was ralking about writing a book ~

'Only write what the reader isn't going to skip'

To me, if you're going to take the time to write something to me, I will take the time to read it.

Do you still have the bass?

Nope.  I had it at the office, to be blunt, so it would be secure & safe.  I figured why have it in its case??  So I put it into the corner and it really did look fantastic in there.

I had it listed locally.  Interestingly, about a week after listing it (Craigslist) I got a call.  Seems someone (who also lived in Oak Ridge where Chris lived) played the Upright.....  said he was looking for a new one.

They came to the office to see/play it.  Now, to be fair, I know nothing about this so pardon any butchery I'm about to create.  He played it....  and he & his wife both oohed and ahh'ed.....   

"Honey, did you hear the depth of that D note?"

"this string has more presence than the one I already have"

We'll TAKE IT!

I really had no clue what they were talking about until they said they'd take it.  I really didn't have any business keeping something like this as it would only get beaten up over life and I have no clue how to play it.

Between the 300B's and this.....  those were the two items that really gave me some pocket change to make this worth it.  Most everything else was more of an even trade.  More importantly to me though.....  she would have probably take $3,000-$5,000 'right now" to get to her goal.  So I feel good that I helped transfer more of his value to her than what would have happened had she done it on her own.

My wife actually strong-armed me into keeping my big 2-channel system in the living room of our new house, rather than move it into my office. She'll keep listening to it after I die, until the active XO implodes, after which time it'll be too fiddly to keep around and she'll sell for parts. It's nearly all DIY at this point, so whatever.

The wife actually appreciates , the  all Heritage sound system / theater setup and we both enjoy lots of movies and sports games , so when I’m gone I’m thinking she’ll keep everything in place, hopefully she would  be able to keep it all tuned correctly (not a chance😕) What I worry about is the probability of her new boyfriend messing around in my beloved theater room , sends a shiver down my spine , I know damn well he’ll be foolin around in there, and likely taking credit for the whole works 🙁

My wife knows what my system is worth and does enjoy listening to it, but she won't want to bother messing with it when I'm gone and will be just as happy listening to the Amazon Echo. I suspect she will be wise enough to give all my good stuff to our grandson, though, because she knows he will appreciate it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coytee said:

I kept his upright bass in my office at work, in the corner.  It REALLY looked fantastic in there....  as though I might have a small dash of sophistication but, we all know that's not true.

random association

sorta related

I did caregiving for my dad's last...

he was selling his instruments. He had enough to outfit a small marching band...

I asked him if I could have his old upright jazz bass. Almost has as much soul as Willie Nelson's guitar. He beamed. It sits in our livingroom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Coytee said:

A number of years ago (2008), a guy that I'd met were becoming friends.  His mother had just passed so he was living in her condo.  She had a grand piano.  He was a professional musician, played the upright bass.  He had acquired Khorns, LaScalas, Esoteric CD player, McIntosh, Viva 300b, various things all of somewhat expensive nature.  Seems he had inherited some cash when Mom passed....

Backstory:  He was terribly over-weight and didn't move around well.  Years prior, he had slipped in shower, broke through the shower door glass which nearly sliced his arm off so he was unable to play the Upright anymore...  The sad reality is, he was spending funds faster than he made them.

He had borrowed my book about Mr. PWK and wife & I went on a month vacation to Europe and Turkey.  Came home, called to catch up.  Got voicemail.  Called couple days later....voicemail.... Couple days later, his niece called.  Seems he had committed suicide.  Sat upright on his bed, back to the wall....  put a bullet through his head.  I explained the book, she said I could come and get it.

While there, I saw all this electronics stuff.  She had NO interest in it and was "going to get rid" of it.  So, I made a suggestion.  I said, what if I buy it?  She was fine, how soon can you take it away.  I said no so fast....  let me research.  I got a list of everything, went to Ebay, found as best I could, listings of similar items.  Added it up and let's call it $20,000.  I showed her the tally and said "I don't want to see you taken advantage of....  the market price on this seems to be about $20K.  What if I buy it all.....however, now I'm taking a risk and that's not necessarily fair to me.  So, my proposition is, deduct 20% off the top for the risk I'm taking and I'll pay you cash.

So let's call it $16K to her and now, good luck to me.  We did it.  I think I made $3-4,000 myself after it was all said & done.  One reason is, unknown to me, he had a Quad package of brand new Westinghouse 300B's.  I didn't see them.  Put them on Ebay, they alone went for around $1,500 so it was really those that made it worth it for me, everything else, I was just a middle man, currier to help move.

I know the Khorns went to a forum member, a fretless bass guitar went to a buddy of mine.  I kept his upright bass in my office at work, in the corner.  It REALLY looked fantastic in there....  as though I might have a small dash of sophistication but, we all know that's not true.

When the forum member called me about the Khorns, it happened that I was at this condo.  I said I'll play them for you!

Turned things on, found a Harrison "All Things Must Pass" cd....  I've always loved "What is Life" so moved to it.....hit play....turned the volume up and phone speaker on so he can hear.

(back history:  I have never owned this LP /CD so was unaware that there were TWO versions of this song on it)

There were no vocals.  Where the HEIII are the VOCALS???  OMG, I told this forum member how great they sound and you can't hear squat for vocals...  oh wait, there's some faint vocals (there is some bleed through if you can hear it)....  I'm panicked.... He's on way to get them from North Carolina as I recall, and something has happened.

I jammed my ear to the tweeter....yep.  Jammed to the midrange.....yep......  WHERE ARE THE VOCALS?????

I think I remember when you were selling this stuff. 

In my situation, my wife knows because I tell her, but she doesn't remember the actual amounts.  She does encourage or at least just watch me and she does like the equipment and the music even more.  We were watching a YouTube video on some Wilson speakers that were a lot and she asked me if I was going to buy some.  I told her the price and she said, oh, are you buying them?  [my answer was no 😬

I need to make sure she has a nice two channel and surround system to keep, she likes those, sell the rest. 

I need to make a list for her when I am getting long in the tooth. 

Now my power tools, gotta think about those. 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:51 AM, Coytee said:

Put a Bullet through his headniw he's dead .

Freddie Mercury. 😀