Does your spouse or S/O realize the value of your electronics?

wuzzzer

I married one on a search and destroy mission.  lol  Two daughters who knew better than to "touch my gear."  Funny cause they both know my real wife is sitting in here w/me now.  We always make beautiful music together.  Her voice just sounds totally amazing!

My girl's stopped shaking their heads trying to keep track of it all.  I croak they know who to call.  Hopefully he's still around.  They'll prolly dump some of this 60' of vinyl so you guys can fight over that stuff.  lol 

Why do I keep seeing all my gear sitting on the deck of MY beach house SHE now has on Lake Erie?  It is what it is I guess.  As long as my girls are happy.   😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2023 at 2:59 PM, Dave1291 said:

I married one on a search and destroy mission.  lol  Two daughters who knew better than to "touch my gear."  Funny cause they both know my real wife is sitting in here w/me now.  We always make beautiful music together.  Her voice just sounds totally amazing!

My girl's stopped shaking their heads trying to keep track of it all.  I croak they know who to call.  Hopefully he's still around.  They'll prolly dump some of this 60' of vinyl so you guys can fight over that stuff.  lol 

Why do I keep seeing all my gear sitting on the deck of MY beach house SHE now has on Lake Erie?  It is what it is I guess.  As long as my girls are happy.   😂

Can identify with this

For me, it was Conesus Lake irreplaceable Property. 🙄🤬😡🔨

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, wuzzzer said:

I'm talking cash value. 

No, not a clue on the electronic stuff (but like Travis illuded too) there's no pending divorce so all is well.........  or at least it was until I dropped a chunck of change on a new in-shore fishing boat. She pouted for a few weeks until last week, when I stopped by the Americus Diamond store and told her to pick out a ring...   moral of the story  "Happy Wife, Happy Life".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 7:10 PM, Dave1291 said:

@Full Range Mine just shake their heads.  lol

Agreed, mine also.  Likes the music/video surround sound reality though.  It's all about fairness.  A McIntosh amp for me, Eagles concert tickets for you.  An EQ for me, a trip to Hawaii for you.  Ultimately, we both benefit from big ticket items.  Goes a long way.  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, wuzzzer said:

I don't mean sentimental value or attachment to them.  I'm talking cash value.  I asked my wife the other day if something were to happen to me, what would she do with my speakers, TV, etc?  She said she'd list it all on facebook for free.  I know she was just kidding but it made me think does she really know at least the approximate value of what I have?  I see it fairly frequently that people join here and ask about speakers they've inherited.

there are many here I am sure that hope they don't at least not now anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife does b/c I basically got her permission for every purchase. ..She makes > 1/2 our income (she's way smarter than me) so she sure as hell should get 1/2 the say.  But even if earning imbalance was reversed, I think we'd follow the same rule.

From day 1  (married 30yrs) we agreed not to deceive each other about such things.  And saving for retirement and college for two boys meant waiting long stretches b/w big purchases.  The biggest were the Mac Integrated, the Cornwalls and my Technics TT (w/ cartridge) - all of which were purchased new and cost about $6k each.

Honestly, I do feel guilty at times when I look at my system.  All in, it's well over $20k.  When friends ask they usually gasp when I tell them.  It's at that point I remind them I have no other expensive toys/ hobbies like wave-runners, country club membership, motorcycle, bass boat, expensive car, etc...   ..This absurdly expensive system is my sole costly indulgence.  And the guilt is made worse by the fact that my wife doesn't have any expensive hobbies of her own.  For every $1 she has spent on her hobbies, I've spent $10 on mine 😆

It helps that she and our boys love music as much as I and that we have the system set up in our family great room so everyone can enjoy it.  It would be much harder to justify if this system was kept in a locked "man cave".  The only "no touch" component is my Technics turntable.  ..I'm the only who gets to use it.  And everyone is fine with that as we have a Tidal/ Roon subscription where all the same music can be found.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 5:58 AM, ODS123 said:

The only "no touch" component is my Technics turntable.  ..I'm the only who gets to use it.

What model/version is your Technics? You have piqued my curiosity.

22 minutes ago, Marvel said:

What model/version is your Technics? You have piqued my curiosity.

2020 Technics 1210GAE, which is a limited edition. I think it is #206 out of 1200.  The cartridge is an Audio Technica VM760SLC.

Thanks... Now I understand the price you gave.  I have a stock sl1200mkII I picked up at a pawn shop, and it's been working flawlessly. Actually got two in a dj coffin with a cheap mixer. I took a risk, as they were used by a dj. I think I paid $300 or so for all of it. I sold one to a friend and the cheap mixer to a college student. 

Ended up with a fully functioning turntable for free. I did have to buy a cartidge and mount, but I still came out ahead.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Thanks... Now I understand the price you gave.  …

Ended up with a fully functioning turntable for free. I did have to buy a cartidge and mount, but I still came out ahead.

Oh, there is no doubt I paid more than necessary to get good analog sound. I have bought used things in the past, but liked the idea of having one of the new re-released 1200s.

It sounds great… But does it sound $5000 great? Probably not. But so it goes with audio. Diminishing returns….

• Like 1