Which speaker timbre matches the KG 2's?

hron61

Also, the kg1 and kg .5 are the smaller bookshelf speakers that also had the Dhorm tweeter if you are looking for smaller surrounds.  I think that covers all the main line models that Klipsch released with a Dhorm tweeter.  There were also two Tangent branded speakers with that tweeter (one that looked like a rebranded kg .5 and a center speaker) but those had cheaper cabinets and are rare since there were sold on military bases.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys.

So kv-1 or kg1 or the kg.5 is what i'll seek.

I have a pair of sp-1's packed away but prefer the kg2s for now.

Right now im using kg2's for the mains with a kg2 for the center but I need to downsize it a bit due to space limitation thats why I was seeking info for a smaller center spkr that would blend in nicely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hron61 said:

Awesome, thanks for the info guys.

So kv-1 or kg1 or the kg.5 is what i'll seek.

I have a pair of sp-1's packed away but prefer the kg2s for now.

Right now im using kg2's for the mains with a kg2 for the center but I need to downsize it a bit due to space limitation thats why I was seeking info for a smaller center spkr that would blend in nicely.

The kg2.5 versions can be used for mains or center and the kg 2.2v for center.

KG 1.5 bookshelf a larger version which is small.

Welcome!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billybob said:

The kg2.5 versions can be used for mains or center and the kg 2.2v for center.

KG 1.5 bookshelf a larger version which is small.

Welcome!

My issue with using any of the KG ".2" or ".5" series speakers (except the kg .5) with the kg2 is that in my experience, the tweeters in those are not a sonic match for the dhorm tweeters in the kg2.  I had a KG 2.2 V for a while.  I didn't think that tweeter sounded like the kg2 tweeter (which were the first Klipsch speakers I ever purchased).

• Like 1

Update.

Today I remembered I had a kv3 up in the attic from a few years back.

I'll have to try it out. I totally forgot about it being up there.

Size wise it should work out, hopefully it matches the kg2s timbre somewhat.

But the price was right. I will still look to pic up a kv1 sometime in the near future.

'Get the titanium diaphragms for all three and then they'll match.  😉' 👆👆

Exactly what we did with titanium diaphragms some years ago now....all 5. Klipsch ChorusII fronts, Academy center and kg2.5 rears. As close a 'match' as it could ever get. Sounds beautiful in here.👌 Good luck, hope your kv3 works out for you. Take care all. Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frzninvt said:

The correct center or most closely match one is the KG 2.2.  You could also use a KG .5, KG1, another KG2 as well. The KV series was matched to the Epic series CF line of speakers.

Only the KV-4 was really designed to match the Epic series.  It was the only one with a similar horn and compression driver to the Epic series.  The rest seem like mostly matches for later KG series.

I owned a KG 2.2V (video shielded version) for a while.  I also still own KG .5, kg1, and kg2.  I don't think the tweeter in the KG 2.2 is good match for the dhorm tweeter in the kg2.  The KV-1 has a dhorm tweeter and should be a better match.

I hooked up my kv3 and it sounds ok for the time being.

I guess it will do for now. Not perfect but just ok.

I do have a 2nd set of kg2s and I used one for the center but after testing them against my other pair it seems the highs are not as high as the main kg2s that I listen to in my system.

I get highs but it needs to be almost maxed out on the dial, so they are working, but not like they should be.

Im thinking it needs a cap rebuild kit. Which is what I will get sometime this summer. 

• Like 1