Clicking won't stop please help

seanb

I have now been trying to find this noise for about a year and I can't seem to find a solid answer. When I am sitting in idle or will any other time really I can hear my fan click on through my stereo I also get a loud thunking noise from my RCA jacks when I unplug them or plug them in. I've been told a ground loop I've I've got three amps all of which are individually grounded to something on the car the chassis I just did all that and the noise is still there I don't know what else to do somebody says get a filter while I want to know what the problem is though there's a reason it's clicking like when I hear the fan kick on I can hear it tick.. sometimes I'll hear my turn signal like just click on it won't I don't hear it continuously but that's sometimes can anybody please help me it's driving me insane.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, seanb said:

I have now been trying to find this noise for about a year and I can't seem to find a solid answer. When I am sitting in idle or will any other time really I can hear my fan click on through my stereo I also get a loud thunking noise from my RCA jacks when I unplug them or plug them in. I've been told a ground loop I've I've got three amps all of which are individually grounded to something on the car the chassis I just did all that and the noise is still there I don't know what else to do somebody says get a filter while I want to know what the problem is though there's a reason it's clicking like when I hear the fan kick on I can hear it tick.. sometimes I'll hear my turn signal like just click on it won't I don't hear it continuously but that's sometimes can anybody please help me it's driving me insane.

Welcome to the Forum. Have you narrowed it down to a particular piece of equipment? What is the Brand/model?

No I don't know I think it could be the crossover I have a crossover but I'm really not sure I've heard it I've heard it more with the crossover but I kind of hurt it without the crossover too the crossover is an old school like pioneer 635 I do believe I'd have to pull it out and get the number exactly I'm just not sure I don't I used to hear the whining noise like the alternator noise but I'm not sure I really hear that now now I just hear the fan kick on and off through my speakers. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, seanb said:

No I don't know I think it could be the crossover I have a crossover but I'm really not sure I've heard it I've heard it more with the crossover but I kind of hurt it without the crossover too the crossover is an old school like pioneer 635 I do believe I'd have to pull it out and get the number exactly I'm just not sure I don't I used to hear the whining noise like the alternator noise but I'm not sure I really hear that now now I just hear the fan kick on and off through my speakers. 

Beyond me, but many others may have a solution.

Well at least you're honest yes driving me nuts sorry if the words are a little mixed up and don't make sense I'm talk to text kind of sucks but I'm not at the point where I can type at the moment so but yeah if anybody can come up with some kind of solution I don't know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seanb said:

Yes alternator noise is more an older school problem with older cars. The fix for that was usually a filter, or/and sometimes spark plugs made for elimination of noise. Auto Zone or whoever may be a source. 

Sounds as if something changed for alternator noise to go away.

Also, a source of problem with let's say newer audio car systems, is the source of power to the radio and crossover. Once, it was generally powered by positive straight from the positive 12 volt battery.

On some newer vehicles, there is a place under the hood main fuses box, or the inside fuse box.

The ground to chassis wherever located has better chance of working when ground is free from paint or undercoating.

Questions now are, is this a DIY install, or a shop? And of course, is this something you can troubleshoot yourself over the forum and, not in person...In any case,

something I very seldom..think about. Maybe others here more adept can help you sort.

Thanks!

Oh, and was a capacitor installed?

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

Well at least you're honest yes driving me nuts sorry if the words are a little mixed up and don't make sense I'm talk to text kind of sucks but I'm not at the point where I can type at the moment so but yeah if anybody can come up with some kind of solution I don't know

1 minute ago, billybob said:

See my post I posted prematurely above please.

Is this how I reply to individuals? The"quote"thing? And no capacitor was installed.. I did the install myself but I've done many stereos especially in my own cars and have never had this issue that I can remember 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, seanb said:

Is this how I reply to individuals? The"quote"thing? And no capacitor was installed.. I did the install myself but I've done many stereos especially in my own cars and have never had this issue that I can remember 

Cool, yes quote work's mostly until more familiar. Just recalled your fan inside clicking? If so, yes some noise unwanted in your power source likely, so sure you have double checked your source. The alternator may be whining some under the load. If so, and depending on the draw, may need bigger capacity battery and or capacitor. Anyway, sounds like you will find the fix.

Welcome!

1 hour ago, seanb said:

let me get this straight ,  when you say ,  clicking sound from a fan  at idle , are you referring to the Radiator cooling  fan or the AC compressor kicking in   .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

So no error codes or lights,and no dead battery. No corrosion on posts. Head lights bright.

Alternator belt, serpentine tight enough. No squeal from alt.

Good night.

Nope.. all my amps are grounded separately too.. different spots on bare metal of the frame

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OO1 said:

let me get this straight ,  when you say ,  clicking sound from a fan  at idle , are you referring to the Radiator cooling  fan or the AC compressor kicking in   .

The cooling fans.. I hear it through the speakers