New member asking advice

AlfaAndy

Hello everyone. I am building a "vintage" stereo system for a medium sized room in my house. I have recently acquired a pair of McIntosh MC30 mono amps and a McIntosh C32 preamp. I am considering adding a pair of Klipsch speakers to this system. My question is, would these amps have enough power to operate the Heresy or the Forte, or the Cornwall? Thanks, AlfaAndy

6 hours ago, AlfaAndy said:

Hello everyone. I am building a "vintage" stereo system for a medium sized room in my house. I have recently acquired a pair of McIntosh MC30 mono amps and a McIntosh C32 preamp. I am considering adding a pair of Klipsch speakers to this system. My question is, would these amps have enough power to operate the Heresy or the Forte, or the Cornwall? Thanks, AlfaAndy

Watch this video:

Then consider the fact that the Klipsch models you listed all have sensitivity ratings of well over 90dB 1W/1M and it’ll answer your question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Watch this video:

Then consider the fact that the Klipsch models you listed all have sensitivity ratings of well over 90dB 1W/1M and it’ll answer your question.

Fantastic video and very informative. As demonstrated you don't require as many watts as you think. Look back to the previous golden age when a high powered amp was 30-50. They rocked our world.

On a personal note, the presenter sounded so much like my late father Vinnie (Z'L), the hairs on my arms stood. I called my wife and had her put on the headphones without telling her why; she was stunned and said it sounded just like him. Thanks for posting this.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 9:57 AM, AlfaAndy said:

Yes -- absolutely.  Sounds like you've put together some great components.  If you've got the space, I agree that you should just get some Cornwalls and sit back and enjoy for a long time.

Keep checking the Garage Sale section here on the Forum, and check US Audio Mart, as well as other audio gear sites.  They may be the top two sites for Klipsch Heritage speakers.  Be patient, but have your cash ready, so you can jump when you spot a bargain in your area.

Good luck with your quest, and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

For reference, I used a Sonic Impact T-amp (anyone remember those??) for a while with a pair of forte II.  This amp was powered by eight AA batteries.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Eight AA batteries.  It sounded fantastic, put out plenty of bass and could drive the fortes to really, really loud levels.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

On 1/28/2023 at 6:57 AM, AlfaAndy said:

You'll have so much power and current, your ears will bleed before you reach half the volume. I was using a pair of MC30's here with the C8's.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:57 AM, AlfaAndy said:

Where are you located, and how far are you willing to travel?  I and other forum members can be on the lookout as well.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:05 AM, AlfaAndy said:

Everyone, thank you for your replies. Does anyone here know of any used Klipsch Heritage speakers for sale in the Philly area? Thanks.

I look around the Philly area on occasion and often see really good deals on CL and Facebook Marketplace.  As always, do your due diligence and be safe.
There's a pair of H1's in Universal City.  Kind of over-priced (I wouldn't pay more than $600-700).
Klipsch Heresy 1 Speakers - electronics - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I found a pair of Forte ll speakers in beautiful cherry. One owner and lovingly cared for with the original boxes. He said that he was upgrading to Cornwalls. Are there any maintenance concerns or upgrades that I should consider with these Fortes?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1