Help?

fuzzy

• Moderators
1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

I hope I'm doing this right. My 5 yr old absolutely cranked my klipsch kg 4's and now they crack and pop. Any ideas where to start?

Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry to hear about the jolt your speakers took. It’s happened to all of us in one form or another. 

To walk you through this the first thing we are going to want to know is what to you power your speakers with, integrated amp, a receiver amp/preamp? Does whatever you are powering it with have a switch or knob to adjust the balance to the left and right speaker, or even a switch for left, right, both speakers?

You want to be able to switch to left and right easily if possible. The first thing to determine if it is in both speakers.

If you have already determined it is in both the next step is to determine which drivers on each speaker is damaged and we will take you through how to do that.

the drivers may have been over-powered , and components may have sustained damages  , let's do a few tests 

you'll need an Ohmmeter ---set the dial on Ohms and check the resistance on all  frontal 4 woofers  +  the  2 tweeters  , 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, OO1 said:

the drivers may have been over-powered , and components may have sustained damages  , let's do a few tests 

you'll need an Ohmmeter ---set the dial on Ohms and check the resistance on all  frontal 4 woofers  +  the  2 tweeters  , 

Let’s find out if he has an ohm meter and technical level first. We may have to use the sock method.

Wow! Thanks guys. I should have checked back earlier. I do have a multi meter with an ohm setting I believe. I'm powering the speakers with a Marantz model 4140 amplifier. It says stereo 2 quadradial 4. It's  older. it says it 400 watts. I'll try to include a photo. Im generally handy. I'm a carpenter and I work on vehicles, repair our appliances, but I've never been really proficient with electronics. I'll try to get back to you with those ohm readings asap. Thanks again. Fuzzy

the   resistance readings will tell you if any drivers  have any damages  to the Voice coil  , the tweeters can be rebuilt with new diaphragms , so no problem  , but  the woofers  are  the rarer parts 

Ok so my speakers have two 8" woofers? And a horn tweeter above, and a large maybe 10'' or 12'' passive speaker in the back. All 4 powered woofers have an impedance of 7.2 ohms and the left tweeter is reading 8.8 ohms and the right tweeter is reading 8.4 ohms I'm hoping that is somewhat normal/good. Thanks again folks