Good news for streamers and future streamers

YK Thom

As a general rule I purchase CD's, but first try to buy high resolution downloads when available. In almost every case the hi rez just adds a touch more clarity and a bit lower noise floor as the best way I can describe it. But CD quality is still exceptional in many (most?) recordings and I can then rip them in the highest resolution possible and store them on a NAS so any device in my house can access it.

That's where network streamers can provide more value, flexibility and capability than just streaming a service. If selected carefully, even lower cost streamers provide excellent sound quality, can play virtually any resolution of stored digital media, and can convert even your 70's vintage equipment into a quality sound system. Most of these devices can access your NAS, computer, TV, whatever and sent either a digital or analog signal to a sound system.

In my view the big advantage of streaming is to hear new releases and old releases that you've never heard. I frequently stream from services and that's normally where I find new music to buy or download.

• Like 2

As for the SQ, I gained a remarkable impression while streaming regarding MQA. My previous streamer, a Bluesound Node2i made a very audible difference between CD quality and MQA. Since one year I have a new Bluesound Node (without additional number/letter). It has a much more modern chip with very high processing power in the price range. The effect is that the CD quality has become much better and the difference to MQA has amazingly become smaller to my ears, even if MQA is still a bit better, CD quality is so good that I don't miss anything when listening. This was different with the old Node 2i.

• Like 1