Phonograph sounds wrong

KYskeptic

So, my son has a Klipsch The Three and recently obtained an old Technics SL-D1 phonograph. When he hooks it up to The Three, the upper register sounds ok, but the bass is virtually absent. Any guesses? He says the turntable works fine on an old receiver (I haven't verified). The ground is attached. The switch for phono is in the correct position. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds like the input selector switch is bad. The sound you describe is what a turntable plugged into a line-level input would sound like. Turntables require RIAA equalization for proper tonal balance. Without it, your phono will be all treble, no bass. Just a guess, but I think the switch isn't changing the input from line to phono, so the line level input is always selected.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 6:18 PM, KYskeptic said:

So, my son has a Klipsch The Three and recently obtained an old Technics SL-D1 phonograph. When he hooks it up to The Three, the upper register sounds ok, but the bass is virtually absent. Any guesses? He says the turntable works fine on an old receiver (I haven't verified). The ground is attached. The switch for phono is in the correct position. 

RIAA missing...

16 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

Line level is different than phono. Phono has less “strength”. 

Very much untrue.  "Phono" has much more gain and a built-in eq for the records.  It boosts bass and cuts treble to compensate for the eq cut into the record (so the stylus can stay in the grooves).  The OP's post sounds like he already has it plugged into "Line".  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

Very much untrue.  "Phono" has much more gain and a built-in eq for the records.  It boosts bass and cuts treble to compensate for the eq cut into the record (so the stylus can stay in the grooves).  The OP's post sounds like he already has it plugged into "Line".  

I hear what you’re saying, but signal coming out of a turntable has to be boosted. Either by a built in preamp you connect to a line in or the phono preamp in the receiver itself.