When to replace a CD Laser

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a 30+ year old Denon CD player and I am the original owner.  It still sounds very good (surprisingly good), weights about 20 lbs and is very well made. 

It has trouble reading some discs and skips occasionally (it did not do this before). 

I already know the answer to this question, but the laser is ready to be replaced right?  A replacement is about $40 at the cheapest and I can install it. 

Hmm, all my discs are old except for a few, but all of my discs are in really good to perfect condition. 

I need more time with the machine as I just dug it out of storage.  It skipped then seemed to get better on good discs. I need to try some burned CDs.

The lasers are getting scarce or at least expensive as this machine is so old.   So I figure I should replace the laser to keep it going another 30 years. 

12 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I have a 30+ year old Denon CD player and I am the original owner.  It still sounds very good (surprisingly good), weights about 20 lbs and is very well made. 

It has trouble reading some discs and skips occasionally (it did not do this before). 

I already know the answer to this question, but the laser is ready to be replaced right?  A replacement is about $40 at the cheapest and I can install it. 

Have you tried a CD laser cleaner?  

1 minute ago, John Chi-town said:

Have you tried a CD laser cleaner?  

I am going to try to clean it with a damp Q Tip.  When working on my other player recently I read NOT to use alcohol to clean laser lenses because they are plastic, not glass.  This makes sense and applies to almost all if not all players as they all use the same basic two transports. 

I need to spend more time with this but I am sidetracked with another player I picked up recently. 

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I am going to try to clean it with a damp Q Tip.  When working on my other player recently I read NOT to use alcohol to clean laser lenses because they are plastic, not glass.  This makes sense and applies to almost all if not all players as they all use the same basic two transports. 

I need to spend more time with this but I am sidetracked with another player I picked up recently. 

Yes, no alcohol.  I am speaking of a lens cleaner that is a CD with a micro brush on which cleans the lense when played.