KLF-20 as center speaker?

kcurtis600

I'm refinishing basement - have 4 klf-20's and c-7, so could run the 20's for front and rears with c-7 center, or run three 20's as front setup, and run RS-62ii's as rears.  Any recommendations? Use is evenly split between music and movies.

For the surrounds will either stay with RS-7's or go in-wall with R-5502 or something similar, and in-ceiling atmos like the CDT-5800-C rather than mount my 4 RP-500SA's.  Room size around 13-24 (but different ceiling elevations due to boxed in ductwork that doesn't affect in-ceiling placement but does affect the RP-500SA's if ceiling mounted.

Denon x6700h

Yamaha M-80

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:04 PM, kcurtis600 said:

Thanks Wuzzer-looks like I'm going to have an extra klf-20. 1st world problem for sure!

I don't use identical speakers or even the same brand across the front

and it works out fine for us. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't place a tower speaker like a KLF-20 on its side.  First, it's designed to couple to the floor on the bottom.  The bass response will be off.  Second, the 90° × 60° coverage pattern of the horns will no longer be wide horizontally and narrower vertically.  Therefore, you will get narrower listening area coverage and more undesirable floor/ceiling reflections.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Somebody made a horizontal KLF-30 center speaker years back by modifying the motorboard with the tweeter and mid in the center orientated properly and a woofer on each side:

I own something similar though I can't take any credit for its creation.  I found it for sale on eBay back in 2005.  The seller took a pair of KLF-20, disassembled them, had custom cabinets of the same internal volume with cherry veneer made, and installed into those all the original drivers, gaskets, screws, terminals, crossovers, ports, grill cloth, Klipsch emblems, and speaker grill fasteners.  He kept one for his use and put the other for sale on eBay to recover some of the project costs.  Luckily, he had forgotten to put a “buy it now” price on it and no one had been able to buy it yet.  I immediately contacted the seller and asked him if he would consider doing a “buy it now” and if so at what price.  He quoted me a price and I snatched it up.  🙂 

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MMurg said:

The seller took a pair of KLF-20, disassembled them, had custom cabinets of the same internal volume with cherry veneer made, and installed into those all the original drivers, gaskets, screws, terminals, crossovers, ports, grill cloth, Klipsch emblems, and speaker grill fasteners. 🙂 

Damn man very nice, looks factory built. Sure wish Klipsch would get it together and offer something like this for their Heritage line. Also a quality Heritage sub too while they're at it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Also a quality Heritage sub too while they're at it.

They did prototype the 1502 sub, slightly smaller than the 1802... but only 5 got built and sold.  Hornloaded, so they are big. @dtel  and

Christy have one.

• Like 2