Bit by the Klipsch Bug

Jcaracci24

I've been plenty happy with my CT120's, A-55-G's and A4500's.  I will be giving some ALK CSW-450's a try here soon...  Still curious to hear any difference. I did put in new K-33's though.

I did look at Crites' site last night out of curiosity and boy have those prices gone up!

12 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

I had RF-62's for about 10 years and loved them.  Never thought I'd get rid of them.  I then bought a set of 1978 La Scala's and the RF-62's got sold shortly after.  Every time I hear them (every day as they come on with the TV), I am still enamored by the big sound, even at low volumes.  I sometimes hate that I love them so much, because they are large... but again, you hear them again and you remember why you keep them.

This is the truth! My wife and I hop back and forth between the gaming room (with the corns, was supposed to be *my* room but she is in here more than me haha) and the living room (with the RP8000's) and I'm of the same mindset. The rps are fantastic, and the sound seems a bit... tighter and clearer. But these cornwalls are just, amazing haha. I seriously can't believe how much I like these speakers that are older than me

12 hours ago, OO1 said:

the Best upgrades you can buy are Genuine  klipsch Parts  /tested -approved by klipsch  ,  Aftermarket parts sound completely different  

That's good to know, if you have any direct recommendations to look into for what I have, I'm all ears man. I still have a lot of research to do on the subject and would appreciate any direction on where to begin

11 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

I've been plenty happy with my CT120's, A-55-G's and A4500's.  I will be giving some ALK CSW-450's a try here soon...  Still curious to hear any difference. I did put in new K-33's though.

I did look at Crites' site last night out of curiosity and boy have those prices gone up!

Sounds like you've tried out quite a few to get to where you are haha

And yeah I noticed that too... it sucks but I guess that's just the times we're in anymore, like everything else... btw nice name, that's the coolest version of the SHO Ford made 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jcaracci24 said:

That's good to know, if you have any direct recommendations to look into for what I have, I'm all ears man. I still have a lot of research to do on the subject and would appreciate any direction on where to begin

If you do decide to restore your crossovers to factory spec, forum member @Deang can help you out, along with JEM Performance Audio.

Best thing to do is listen to them as-is for a while to let your ears get accustomed to them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

If you do decide to restore your crossovers to factory spec, forum member @Deang can help you out, along with JEM Performance Audio.

Best thing to do is listen to them as-is for a while to let your ears get accustomed to them.

Thanks wuzzzer! That was who I had seen in a previous thread.

And man, I *can't* stop listening to them haha. Sitting here at 630am not having been to bed yet, stopped playing my game at 5am (I'm a rotating schedule worker unfortunately, midnights this week), and have been going through various artists and just sitting here jamming and trying not to turn it up loud enough to wake the wife. I ordered a new remote for my reciever since my old one grew legs in my garage, and found out the crossover on the unit was set at, I think, 240hz. Dropped the crossover and played around with some of the other settings and man, the bass is there now. 

Seriously, I'm just completely flabbergasted by the fact that speakers from 84 sound this good. They're at 45 degree angles in the corners now too, with the cross point being just in front of my head and its just perfect. Cannot wait to put a little better quality amp or reciever on them.

I'm hooked.

10 hours ago, Jcaracci24 said:

if you have any direct recommendations to look into for what I have, I'm all ears man.  

,if you can solder ,   https://jemperformanceaudio.com/     , 

if you cant solder @Deang

Genuine  klipsch Parts    https://www.klipsch.com/contact-us    1-800-554-7724  option 2 /  or  by email   submit your request.

• Like 1

Just figured I'd update that I decided to see what I was working with.

Also, tweeter is k77, mid horn is k57, and woofer is k33e. 

Overall just can't stop listening lol, not sure I'll change anything soon, but I'll take your guys opinions on if it's better to replace the old stuff with at least new, stock replacements, seeing as the speakers are going on 39 years old haha

20230216_062343.jpg

I would leave them alone. Those are all film caps. The small motor runs are fully protected, and I haven’t measured a bad one yet. 

Edit: Caveat on the small motor runs. These are also used in later model Klipschorns and La Scalas, and I haven’t measured any of those yet. I’ve always wondered about those because of the extreme heat they were exposed to while soldering on that Monster Cable. 

• Like 4

On 2/3/2023 at 4:27 AM, Jcaracci24 said:

Hi all, new here. I've been a browser via Google searches for awhile now lol, but figured it was time to finally join.

Little background.. My wife and I (early 30s for hearing references) had a samsung all in one surround sound for a few years before I took her to our local heritage dealer a few months ago. At that time, I didn't know *anything* about home audio. My background was way more car audio oriented. But i was sick of seeing klipsch ads so I figured it was time to try some haha. The dealer did a demo on some RP600M II to get us started, and we were absolutely blown away by the sound they produced... long story short we ended up leaving there having ordered 2 RP8000 ii's and a 404c ii center and a Sony receiver (don't remember exact model offhand, puts 100w/channel). We absolutely love it. My wife's thing is watching movies. And that setup paired with her new LG oled and its... a very happy wife haha. I'm not done with it, will add a sub eventually, but in our small living room, the 8000s produce a good amount of bass on their own

Moving forward, I now have my own little gaming room setup. Just need some speakers! Convinced the wife to let me get something nice for in there too. I've been drawn to the heritage now for some reason. Joined a bunch of audiophile groups on FB, already in the klipsch groups, it's just all I see lol. I am definitely a music junky tho, so it makes sense. Metal is my genre of choice. Bands like Shadow of Intent and Whitechapel are 2 of my favorites for reference. So I've been browsing local marketplaces for about 2 months now, seeing what's out there and going rates... currently I have my eyes set on a pair of cornwall 1's... 

I guess at this point, my biggest question would be... how well do the OG heritage speakers compare to to the newer speakers like our RP8000's? I understand that they're different in design, utilizing different components, enclosures, etc. Obviously the RP is entry level in comparison haha.. But everything I've read says that heritage speakers - even back to the early models of (in this case) the 80s - have incredible clarity and sound quality. And that makes me think, just *how* clear are they? The set of cornwalls I found are 2hrs away, so going to listen to them would be a long endeavor for sure. Haven't found many others, and definitely not any that are closer. Already have the crites website open on a tab as I've heard a lot of great things about his upgrades.. But I'm definitely interested in hearing opinions on overall sound clarity of pretty much any of the older models vs any of the newer models. Maybe I'm just skeptical because I'm new to the game and I haven't heard anything from that Era that was actually high end haha. But at the same time, going from what I had to what I have now, I really shouldn't be. 

Looking forward to learning more from you guys here, and hearing your stories of how you got started and where you're at now. I know eventually I'll end up with some heritage line speakers myself, and hope they rock hard in my gaming room! Videogames sound great through headphones, but are much better through speakers. Can't believe it took me until I was 30 to get into another insanely expensive hobby that is home audio haha, but I am definitely bit by that klipsch bug!

The beauty of the hobby.  Is that once you get everything. You really don't need to spend more money.  If taken care of, things rarely break.  So the initial cost maybe high, the maintenance is almost nill.  Unlike cars or boats or.....

Welcome to the fun!

• Like 3