Really nice Tangent 5000s in Las Vegas for $225

tigerwoodKhorns

10 minutes ago, Got_Horns said:

Where would I find the specs for sealed volume and such?  I'm sure there is a sweet spot on size for these drivers.

Just build them with the same internal volume of space as they are right now with the passive radiators.  If you would rather them be ported, go with the cabinet size, ports, etc., as the Tangent T-4000.  I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel with the cabinets....they will definitely sound better with a more solid cabinet.

• Like 1

@Got_Horns  the Tangent 500  are the easiest cabs to re-enforce  being particle board  which is  straight as an arrow for  laminating    1/2  or  3/8 inch panels on the  inside  ,    and the  cost  is peanuts, there is nothing wrong with the T 500 , except the panels are thinner than 3/4 inch 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel with the cabinets....they will definitely sound better with a more solid cabinet.

I agree but I did run into this issue with my Fortes and Chorus speakers.  I was going to go crazy bracing them and them decided not to brace at all as they might lose some bass if really braced. These are not my main speakers so I can go with their 'classic sound' rather than perfection which I have elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OO1 said:

@Got_Horns  the Tangent 500  are the easiest cabs to re-enforce  being particle board  which is  straight as an arrow for  laminating    1/2  or  3/8 inch panels on the  inside  ,    and the  cost  is peanuts, there is nothing wrong with the T 500 , except the panels are thinner than 3/4 inch 

Just go 1/2 or 3/4 veneered ply.  They would look cool with 1.25 to 1.4" or so borders (walls)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

What's the difference from t500-5000s?  I'm nervous....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OO1 said:

T 5000 is 14 lbs heavier   , pretty close  to a Forte 2   /4 Ohms woofer /better  tweeter 

Closer to a Forte 1.  Still has the k701 mid..

T#00
https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Tangent-100-series.pdf

T#000

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/files/Tangent-1000-series-brochure.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OO1 said:

T500 , is a Heresy II  in a larger cabinet ,  not bad at all 

I've been listening to them for a few hours.  I like them a lot.  More lively then the kg4.5s.  very detailed highs, but much more upfront with them.  My only complaint would be the bass could be more substantial and forward.  It mixes well with my 15" sub.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OO1 said:

after a while , you wont even notice it , give it a week or so ,

I just EQd them.... very happy now. Considering they are near field and never had any work done to them.  And the cabinets are crap.  Lots of potential and upside, me thinks.

• Like 1