Help me decide- Heresy 3 vs. Cornwall 1

Schroedinger

Greetings all. I have a set of Heresy 3’s that I push with a Fisher X-100 amp in a fairly large room.  The room is 18x20 and opens up to another room on one side. I’ve recently invested a lot of time and money into acoustic treatments, it’s a good sounding room. I also use a subwoofer but just to fill in below 50Hz. I have an opportunity to make a trade for some 1983 Cornwalls.  I’ve heard nothing but good things about  the CW’s but am I taking a step backwards in sound quality?  Appreciate any direct comparisons. 

Very nice looking pair of speakers! 

With loudspeaker design, one can choose only 2 of the 3: Efficiency, Bass Extension, and Cabinet Size. The Heresy has efficiency and a compact cabinet but at the expense of bass extension. The Cornwall has efficiency and bass extension but at the expense of a large cabinet. Physics. 

Loudspeakers are about moving air; the Cornwall will move a lot more air vs the Heresy. 

Distortion is inversely proportional to efficiency; the Cornwall is more efficient than the Heresy, therefore distortion will be lower, dynamics higher. 

If your Heresy speakers are sitting on the floor, the increased height of the Cornwall mids and tweeters will be more pleasing at ear level (when seated, of course…well, unless you are not very tall). 

Tonally, the Cornwall is a better balanced speaker to my ear (not going to say too much here). 

If you can ideally place the Cornwalls into the corners of the long wall in your room (angled in), the listening experience should be be stellar at low to high volumes. The Cornwall is one of the best low-volume-speakers I have heard, but when asked it will also approximate a live performance very well. 

I have a pair of Heresy speakers; they provide a quality listening experience but the Cornwalls are a better speaker, no question. 

The exception: if the room is way too small for the Cornwalls, then room size deficiencies may be better served with a smaller speaker. 

As a practical aside: A lamp sits better on top of a Cornwall vs a Heresy. 

One last thing: My preference is for the plywood and veneered lumber core cabinet construction of the Cornwall I vs the MDF construction of the Heresy III.

Personally, I would jump on it, but it is your decision. Hopefully some of this information is helpful. 

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow-up to my thread, I ended up getting a pair of 1977 Cornwalls and I’m very happy with them. I’ve been experimenting with room placement and I feel like I’ve really got them dialed in now; fantastic sound and my 18 watt Fisher X-100 can drive them to ear-splitting volumes if needed. The bass response is amazing- solid down to 30Hz in the room. Really happy with the purchase. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Schroedinger said:

As a follow-up to my thread, I ended up getting a pair of 1977 Cornwalls and I’m very happy with them. I’ve been experimenting with room placement and I feel like I’ve really got them dialed in now; fantastic sound and my 18 watt Fisher X-100 can drive them to ear-splitting volumes if needed. The bass response is amazing- solid down to 30Hz in the room. Really happy with the purchase. 

Congratulations!  The Cornwall is truly a fantastic speaker that does well with all kinds of music; there are few complaints about Cornwalls here on this forum. 1977 is a good year for the Cornwall. Your speakers should contain the B Networks (which are my personal favorite), K33B (or just K33) woofers, K55V mid drivers, and the K77 alnico tweeters. Happy listening!

Andy

51 minutes ago, Klipschguy said:

Congratulations!  The Cornwall is truly a fantastic speaker that does well with all kinds of music; there are few complaints about Cornwalls here on this forum. 1977 is a good year for the Cornwall. Your speakers should contain the B Networks (which are my personal favorite), K33B (or just K33) woofers, K55V mid drivers, and the K77 alnico tweeters. Happy listening!

Andy

Thanks Andy. They do have the K33 woofers and the B networks. What are your thoughts on B vs. B2?  I’ve considered upgrading them but I’m interested in people’s opinions on which is better. 

@Schroedinger

Since your Cornwall is 1977   ,  keep the B network since your speaker uses the K-77 Alnico round magnet tweeter +  the push-pin k-55V  ,  the B2 is optimal   with the 81-82 Cornwall using  the K-77-M  square   Ferrite magnet + the solder lugs  K-55V  ( which you do not have  )    .

I have a pair of B2 crossovers that I tried out (good caps, Litz 245uh inductors). To my ear there is some perceptible improvement at the squawker’s crossover frequency (600Hz), but the balance of the mids and and high frequencies is perceptibly worse to my ear (slight recess of the mids coupled with brighter high frequencies). The B Network is closer to the voice of my Khorn vs the B2 Network, no question. This comparison is just my experience and my opinion; if someone loves their B2s, great! - it is only their ears they have to please.

BTW: The B2 does provide better tweeter protection, but I have never had an issue with the B Network and blown tweeters (I have never been afraid to crank ‘em up with my rather powerful Mac amp). 

• Like 1