Anyone added multiple subs to 2 channel setup?

amheck

Hi all, I have a Willsenton R300 integrated amp coming today and was reading up on adding subs.  As there are no sub outs on this amp (but multiple speaker outs of varying resistance), I think I would have to rely on high level line connections.

I think hooking up 1 sub is pretty straightforward but I have always read that multiple subs will help even out the bass response in the room.

1. The subs I am looking at (HSU ULS15 or Rythmik F15HP) only have line level in, so I think you need to run a connection from the amp to the speaker and then another run from the amp to the sub.  So the crossover on the sub takes care of the sub output, but then the speakers are getting full range.  Is that an issue?  Usually, I'd think you'd have a high pass filter, but without a line level out of the sub, I'm not exactly sure if this is a concern or not.

2. On another forum, it was suggested to hook up the left speaker outs to the left sub and the right speaker out to the right sub, but I'm concerned this is not the proper way to integrate multiple subs into a 2 channel setup.  I think you'd want both L and R to both subs but man, that's a lot of speaker wire out of our speaker outs on the amp.

• Like 1

1 sub would be easier for placement, although I still have issue #1 above (or maybe its not a concern)

But maybe I just upsize the single sub and just hope its enough in my room.  I guess that's the whole problem here is the lack of any sort of bass management?  Everyone with 2 channel setup just runs a single sub?

I am planning on the MiniDSP for the home theater setup with two 18's but wonder if this is overkill on the 2 channel system.  Spend all this money on tubes and then add in DSP?  And I'm not even sure if MiniDSP can work via line level inputs and outputs?

I have no idea, just looking to see how others have added subs into their 2 channels setups.  This'll be my first tube amp and 2 channel setup.

I looked at a few of the minidsp products and didn't see any with speaker line level connections.

Out of my Sansui 9090 I run speaker out to left sub(set xover) then to speaker,  sub right then speaker. With my Outlaw 2160 ,sub outputs to two different subs, speakers regular from 2160. Either way bass is great and similar.

I think you are mistaken, the HSU ULS-15 II has both high and low level connections. I am running two with my LS IIs to great effect.

If you use the high level inputs on the sub, just tap onto whatever connections you are using for the main speakers. So the + and - of the left channel go to to the high level inputs on the left sub, and the same for the right channel to the right sub.

I really wish you had a line out on that integrated because I would suggest this:

https://www.dspeaker.com/anti-mode-8033

The best 400.00 I've spent on my system. Unless you have the perfect room, this little dsp calibration device will work wonders with integrating the subs with your main speakers. After trying this, I wouldn't run subs without one.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I think you are mistaken, the HSU ULS-15 II has both high and low level connections. I am running two with my LS IIs to great effect.

I think I was trying to say they only have high level in (and not out).  I may have thought that high level and line level were the same interchangeable terms. 

But yes, high level out would be nice but doesn't seem to be the end of the world. 

I hope the Willsenton wasn't a mistake not having the rca sub out.  The other int amp I was kinda eyeing was the VT70 from LSA and that did have a sub out but I really wanted to try the 300b

Just now, billybob said:

Was asking if overkill that is why the question of 18s instead of 15s, where 1 is likely enough for the room you have shown, unless it is larger than I I remember.

My room is 21x28 so fairly good size.  But I guess it all depends on who you are talking to.  There are definitely guys with four 21's in rooms smaller than mine.   In fact, GSG just launched some nice looking 24's.

Just now, amheck said:

My room is 21x28 so fairly good size.  But I guess it all depends on who you are talking to.  There are definitely guys with four 21's in rooms smaller than mine.   In fact, GSG just launched some nice looking 24's.

Just as long as you know what powered subs sizes and compatible amps.  Looking to the members here for good advice for you and your room.

• Like 1