Kg2 Crossover Rebuild Time

hron61

I have a pair of kg2s that im thinking its time to rebuild the crossovers.

The tweets work but are not as bright sounding as a pair that are in my main system.

They sound dull and lifeless.

For those that have done it what parts or kit did you go with? 

Im leaning towards the kit on the crites website.

https://critesspeakers.com/products/kg2-crossover-rebuild-kit-free-us-shipping

I've read that PK preferred mylar caps and may go with this option because of that reason...Copper Edition with Mylar/Polyester capacitors.

What do you think? Im all ears.

Edited by hron61

I recently did this to my kg1.5s. My intent was to restore factory sound and not some purported improvement. Ended up replacing caps that were out of spec, tweeters, & ferrofluid, among other things. My understanding is that Mylar caps rarely go bad. Mine appeared fine. I am really pleased with the Parts Express electrolytics used for this project. The highs came back, provide more detail, sound pleasant and alive, and are not harsh. If you’re interested, I made a small thread of my project. Many on this forum helped me along.

Edited by Jhakobe
Clarification.
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the answers.

On second thought, I would prefer to use klipsch authorized parts.

I would like them to sound original like PWK intended them to sound.

Thanks wuzzzer for the tip on JEM.

I went to the site and didnt see parts for the kg2, only the kg4 parts were listed.

I will send him an email or a phone call and go from there.

I did find this post from 2009 that lists the caps values but cant find the brand.

• Like 3

JEM provided me with great info. I’m sure you’ll get the same. FWIW you might test the caps you suspect are bad. The electrolytics that tested bad in my network were all out of circuit and not related to my lack of highs, that was the damaged tweeters. I think the KG2 uses the same/similar d-horn as my 1.5s and 2.5s. The Simply Speakers replacement is affordable and I’ve no complaints on the sound quality. My 2.5s are all original and sound a bit dull in the higher frequencies by comparison.

• Like 1

https://critesspeakers.com/products/kg2-crossover-rebuild-kit-free-us-shipping

PK in for third place!

Nonsense claims. Each step “up” just makes the sound brighter and thinner. They don’t even make an attempt at rebalancing the networks to account for the difference. 

One day they are “factory spec”, then they aren’t. When I asked about this (which they still allude to in their eBay ads), the response was …

When it became widely explained by others that our parts were actually better than the ones used originally, that seemed like a good time to stop saying ours were as poorly built as factory spec, so I changed that language.

Of course, “others” is me, and that first part is a convoluted and incomplete version of what I said.

I will say it’s nice that they are finally offering something almost as bad as factory spec. However, since we have the actual OEM parts, we still get to lay claim to worst spec and sound possible.