Bi Amping Vs Std amping ?

RichMaty

Is it better to single amp my main L&R s with 140 watts per channel to each speaker or double amp them with 105 (x2) for each speaker. Trying to figure out how to configure my 7.4 system. Klf20s R&L fronts klf-C7 center, klf10s surrounds and ksf-C6s back surrounds.  Any thoughts would help

thanks

rich

Edited by RichMaty

• RichMaty changed the title to Bi Amping Vs Std amping ?

In some situations, it might be more complexity than it's worth (?)

Now, I presume you mean true biamping and not some of those marketing ideas.  True biamping is signal out of preamp, goes into active crossover, out of active into power amps and then to speakers.

Meanwhile, you will have unhooked the passive inside your speakers...  oh, aren't the 20's a 3-way speaker?  Are you going to tri-amp?  You could perhaps leave the HF passive in there and feed one leg to woofers, second leg to passive and let it split to the tweeter.

Might be a bigger bite to chew verses just plugging in and enjoying.

What problem are you attempting to fix?

4 hours ago, RichMaty said:

Yes Bi-amping. Why is it not worth it?  Do you not get more head room maybe more volume or anything?

Yes, you can get more power bi-amping and possibly better dynamics / headroom. Whether it will be enough to be noticeable or worth doing depends on how hard you drive your system. Best way to tell is try it out for yourself that way you know for sure. When I was running my KLF-30's with my Sunfire 225x5 with 2 channels I could turn it up loud enough that the amp would kind of lose steam but when I bi-amped running 4 channels it went considerably louder while staying robust enough that I was more concerned about the speakers giving out than the amp. Now at normal listening levels low to mid volume I cannot say that there was any advantage but this was long ago before I really got into critical listening back then it was all about house parties and entertaining guests. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Here is the situation. I have 2 B&K 5000 5 channel apps. Mk1 & Mk2. And a B&K ST2140 2 channel amp. I am currently running a 7.4 surround system using a receiver w built in amplification that I bought in 2012 and never changed it out. I have always wanted to run a separates system as I’ve heard they were higher quality sound wise so I figured I have 12 channels to play with. I might as well use the mk2 with the x5 channels of 125 watts for surrounds/rear surrounds/ center and use the other av5000 mk1 channels 1&2 to right my right front & channels 4&5 for the left front Klf20. Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t the klf20s setup so if I remove the jumpers then I would have 105 watts going to the tweets and mids and the other 105 going to the two 10” woofers?  Let me know if that sounds correct.  
thanks

rich

1 hour ago, RichMaty said:

OK. Here is the situation. I have 2 B&K 5000 5 channel apps. Mk1 & Mk2. And a B&K ST2140 2 channel amp. I might as well use the mk2 with the x5 channels of 125 watts for surrounds/rear surrounds/ center and use the other av5000 mk1 channels 1&2 to right my right front & channels 4&5 for the left front Klf20. Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t the klf20s setup so if I remove the jumpers then I would have 105 watts going to the tweets and mids and the other 105 going to the two 10” woofers?  Let me know if that sounds correct.  
thanks

rich

Yes you are correct but seeing that the amps are so close in power rating and of the same brand it's hard to say if there would be a perceivable difference in sound. Since you already have the amp it really isn't that difficult to throw it in the mix and give it a try that way you can determine for yourself whether its worth it or not.

I've compared the Sunfire 300x2 in stereo to the Sunfire 200x5 running 2 channels and bi-amped with my Chorus II's and KLF-30's and in my case the 300x2 would easily power both speakers to their max where just 2 channels of the 200x5 would only get them about 80% max but with 4 channels bi-amped it at least matched the 300x2 in output so just on a power output basis it was worth the extra set of speaker wires to get the most out of the system. 

Of course back then I used to throw a lot of house parties and regularly would max out the system for extended hours now I hardly ever hit 80db.