How would (could?) you do this...?

Coytee

You want to play your system outdoors, away from any power source (preferring to NOT use a generator to avoid the noise)

You want to use:

MWM double bass bins

K-402 on top....  MAYBE do it as a 3-way.

Source would be a memory stick.

Could you use (what I think are/were called) "T-amps'??

how do you power them?  Could  you use a 12V auto battery?

How much juice would you have for outdoor use?

How long (if applicable) might the battery last?

Is there a player that you can plug the stick into?  How does this relate to the need of using an active (110 volt) crossover?

If power is there, none of this matters...as it can simply be plugged in.  If NO power is there, how do you make this work?

• Like 1

Solar panels, plus storage batteries would be my suggestion. I don't have any more to offer on that end as far as how much solar and storage capacity you would need, and it would certainly depend on how long and how loud you would play your system.

As far as the memory stick, many car stereos, including mine, will play files from a memory stick, which is what I do.

You could power any car stereo from a 12V car battery. You would have to find a stereo with pre-amp outputs so you could

send the signal to your sound system amps. Done this way, the stereo would draw very little current from the battery because

there would be no amplification involved.

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

You could power any car stereo from a 12V car battery

Clever thinking!  I had not thought of a car unit at all!!

Still have the 110 volt issue with active crossover (unless you can configure the little amps?)  I know nothing about this stuff, I'm old school, plug in CD/DVD player, preamp, active, to amps...call it a day.

That process might not work BUT....  got to thinking about how could it work with 110 power...

Trying to simplify the complexity....  wondering if one could get a (example) 12-3 wire (or maybe 10-3 because of distance).  use a double breaker BUT, at the end in the field....  use black/white as one 110 volt leg, use red/white as the OTHER 110 volt leg so now you have two lines of 110 volt, both sharing the same common.  

I get accused sometimes of over-thinking things.

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

You want to play your system outdoors, away from any power source (preferring to NOT use a generator to avoid the noise)

You want to use:

MWM double bass bins

K-402 on top....  MAYBE do it as a 3-way.

Source would be a memory stick.

How much juice would you have for outdoor use?

How long (if applicable) might the battery last?

Is there a player that you can plug the stick into?  How does this relate to the need of using an active (110 volt) crossover?

If power is there, none of this matters...as it can simply be plugged in.  If NO power is there, how do you make this work?

If possible, I would think that you would want to have DC from a battery direct to the DC input of the electronics to avoid the losses in the transformers and need for rectifiers. 

Car audio should do just fine.  I need to check, I have a Rockford punch amp and crossover in storage.  Been there for 20+ years along with a 12" punch sub and a brand new Sony Head unit and CD changers.  The head unit was about $600 back then but I doubt it has an input.  I will check. 

Dip into the world of car audio....  that was nowhere on my map and I can see how it could work.  

By all means, let's not let @Chief bonehead see this....  it might bring a tear (of Joy??  of Horror??) to his eyes if I'm able to convert some MWM's into "Super Car Audio" speakers!!  (I'm going to register the name "Super" so I can  use it exclusively)

Now, I might have to find a VW  Beetle that I can slightly modify to mount them.... :unsure2:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Coytee said:

Yes and yes, you want one of these. They will run off of a car battery. There was a great post many years ago, I'm sure you will remember, where a forum member would take his La Scala's to the desert. Pretty sure he used one of these and a car battery for hours of power.

Cellphone or old ipod with headphone to RCA cable to L/R input of the amp. Amp sounds great too. IIRC, I paid around $125 for the amp and it came with car battery sized terminal connector and wall plug. 

I've not used it in years PM me if you want to discuss.

Compress_20230218_065802_2100.thumb.jpg.ea8ab9364a8e9d788411b053e09d9490.jpg

Compress_20230218_065801_1847.thumb.jpg.f146278db6b9b28e001ae3fe1615ecf9.jpg

11 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I took a quick look on Amazon.  A car stereo head unit that can read a memory stick is really cheap, like $50.  If you can find one with a built in crossover you are all set.  Just add some car amps. 

I should add; if you use the car stereo as a source, be sure the unit will play the format you've converted the music to. My Sony unit does play more than one format; I store my files on the thumb drive in an Apple format. I think the Sony unit will support mp3/4 and maybe others.

Flasback to the late '60s. I visited a friend going to UW Platteville, drove outside of town a little ways, back in the woods. Bands were playing, amps were loud. They had a generator powering everything, guitar amp, p.a. head... The generator was VERY faint in the distance. I'm pretty sure a modern generator could be quieter.

It may have been the weed and window pane... but it was great at the time.

A gen. into a good UPS/power conditioner and you use the other gear you already know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

It may have been the weed

...as long as you didn't inhale... :ph34r:

Heck, I clearly recall when I saw Floyd in 1994... when the lights went down....POOF, I inhaled more that night than any other concerts (plural) I'd been to combined.  (and I don't smoke at all and have 'never' ....  partaken)  

Yeah, just like there is in theory, a perfect circle.... there might be also in theory, a perfect square....but really, all one has to do is meet me and you will have met the perfect square.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
On 2/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, Coytee said:

That's just what I used to do, it was the old type original T amp, they are better now I am sure. The original T amp said 10 wpc but really went downhill quick after half volume.  a car battery would last for days.

With the old T amp about 1/3 to half volume (before distortion) It was a little over 100 db at 100' outside.

I know what you are going to try is different than what I was doing back then, but car audio will surprise you. I use a Pioneer Supertuner out in the bar with some Heresys,  more power than needed out there. I decide to use a car radio for being tough, it's under a roof but still, fog, dampness and temperature changes over the last 5 years  and still going strong.

This pic is from 2008, back when they still had Sony Walkmans around. Those little things and a car battery was all that was needed.

mwm.,. (2).jpg

• Like 5

I would go all 12v auto or marine gear and use auto electronic crossovers.  Some of the amps have crossovers inside and many of the head units have digital delays built in. 

You can use inverters to turn 12v into 120v, but you lose some power in the conversion. 

Car batteries parallel easily for longer service.