R-28F to RF-3 II?

AudioHobby

Hi all, 

I’ve come across a pair of RF-3 II locally in the $300-400 range and I’m curious if these would be a noticeable upgrade compared to my current front left and right speakers (R-28F’s)? For reference, I’d be using them with a RP-450C center channel. Let me know your opinions. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Rear ported versus your front ported.

98 db efficient v likely similar 

Think the 3s have titanium diaphragm v aluminum

Both 8 inch speakers

3s horn maybe abit bigger.

Both good reviews.

Like the looks better myself of the 3s. Liked mine for music, HT.

Not a conclusive upgrade as defined yet, may indeed have a subtle difference. More similar than not. The 3s cerametallicwoofers had or have a tendency to crease/dent.

Not familiar with the 28s sound.

For price range mentioned, woofers in good shape, cabinets, etc. Complete with feet.

May be slight voicing diff. with center.

All I got atm...

@AudioHobby

• Like 1

Thanks @billybob for the reply. The woofers, cabinets, and grills appear to be in good shape from what I’ve seen in pics. I’m not sure about the feet. The price will probably be around $300. I was also thinking the titanium tweeters might be a plus that may match more closely with my center. I was also hoping to get more from the mids.

• Like 1

Think that's right about ti.

Specs are there but just looked to refresh self.

Well, sounds like you'll be answering this. In one week or less. You should be good yet, didn't mention crossover. Refreshing!

If it's good for you, I  would again. 

Edited by billybob
add

3 hours ago, AudioHobby said:

I’ve come across a pair of RF-3 II locally in the $300-400 range and I’m curious if these would be a noticeable upgrade compared to my current front left and right speakers (R-28F’s)?

Honestly probably a lateral move 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AudioHobby said:

I see a pair of CF2’s in fairly good shape for around the same price range. 

CF-2 speakers for 3-400$ is a great deal , but you have to make sure the speakers are in good shape and well taken care off , cause replacement Parts are no longer available , except for crossover capacitors  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AudioHobby said:

@jjptkd @wuzzzer  

I’m in CA @billybob. I see a pair of CF2’s in fairly good shape for around the same price range. Any opinions or personal experience with those? I see mixed reviews online. 

I've never heard the CF-2's but really liked the KV-4 center speakers which use the same parts but in a significantly smaller sized cabinet. I'd think based on my experiences with the KV-4, having had CF-3's and hearing several pairs of CF-4's over the years that they should be a very good sounding speaker. Nice thing about this hobby is if you can get in at a good price it's usually a sound investment, if the speakers turn out to be not to your liking you can always re-sell. 

• Like 1

I like my CF-1s. There is a decent pair  down here for not alot. The 2s have 8 inch woofers in an Apolitto design. Online. Still abit of a lateral move with a refined sound.

Look it up.

The 3 and the 4 model

10 and 12 inch woofers respectively, a more definite upgrade in size.

3 hours ago, billybob said:

I like my CF-1s. There is a decent pair  down here for not alot. The 2s have 8 inch woofers in an Apolitto design. Online. Still abit of a lateral move with a refined sound.

I would think the 2" diaphragm with 1" exit compression driver on a much larger horn with the CF-2's should be a decent step up over the RF-3's wouldn't expect a big difference in bass but the cabinets are quite a bit larger so potential is there I think it would come down to how well balanced the overall design is. The CF-3 / 4 not only have larger woofers but the horn is almost the size of a k-510, along with the 2" driver gives them a very large and deep sound presentation, no question they are head and shoulders above all other models mentioned.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I would think the 2" diaphragm with 1" exit compression driver on a much larger horn with the CF-2's should be a decent step up over the RF-3's wouldn't expect a big difference in bass but the cabinets are quite a bit larger so potential is there I think it would come down to how well balanced the overall design is. The CF-3 / 4 not only have larger woofers but the horn is almost the size of a k-510, along with the 2" driver gives them a very large and deep sound presentation, no question they are head and shoulders above all other models mentioned.  

Agree... was going to pump them up for the OP.

Was after those but settled on the 1s as money was burning my pockets for a taste. Best if OP can demo to decide the sound signature.

My 1s have me listening to all music, not just classical.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Best if OP can demo to decide the sound signature. My 1s have me listening to all music, not just classical.

Yep it's hard to try and tell other people what is better this is a very subjective topic and rooms / equipment are all different heck I can't even decide which speakers I like better a lot of the times it seems certain models do certain things well each have their own strengths and weaknesses most are "good" sounding. I've been comparing my 325's to my 335's and they are both excellent but a little different I like them both haven't picked a favorite yet. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Yep it's hard to try and tell other people what is better this is a very subjective topic and rooms / equipment are all different heck I can't even decide which speakers I like better a lot of the times it seems certain models do certain things well each have their own strengths and weaknesses most are "good" sounding. I've been comparing my 325's to my 335's and they are both excellent but a little different I like them both haven't picked a favorite yet. 

Yes, and well written I say. That horn on the 2s, I needed reminder. If reasonable, recommend trying. Thanks!