R-28F to RF-3 II?

AudioHobby

The RF-3's would be an upgrade over the R-28F, however if you have the option between the CF-2's and the RF-3, the CF-2's would probably perform better in most scenarios save possibly for Home Theater.  As a reminder, Reference pre-2016 are the lineage that "Reference Premier" draws itself from.  The progression from past to present in Reference is RF-3, RF-3 II, RF-35, RF-82, RF-82 II, RP-820F, RP-802F.  The analog comparison is the R-28F to the SF-3 versus the RP-802F to the RF-3 II.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/26/2023 at 3:25 PM, The History Kid said:

The RF-3's would be an upgrade over the R-28F, however if you have the option between the CF-2's and the RF-3, the CF-2's would probably perform better in most scenarios save possibly for Home Theater.  As a reminder, Reference pre-2016 are the lineage that "Reference Premier" draws itself from.  The progression from past to present in Reference is RF-3, RF-3 II, RF-35, RF-82, RF-82 II, RP-820F, RP-802F.  The analog comparison is the R-28F to the SF-3 versus the RP-802F to the RF-3 II.

8 hours ago, Gusss said:

So…. I am probably confused…

whats better?

Rf3 ii    (2001)  

R-28F   (2014)

Not a question of better but the 3s are decent if in good condition including drivers. Both made typically for HT yet music too of course.

Welcome @Gusss

On 2/20/2024 at 8:57 AM, billybob said:

Not a question of better but the 3s are decent if in good condition including drivers. Both made typically for HT yet music too of course.

Welcome @Gusss

16 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Lateral pass at best. For HT, no discernable difference and not much difference for music. This is even more true for systems with EQ.

I’ll buy the R-28F then. I like the complete cooper cones look!  Thanks for the input

IMG_2658.jpeg

• Like 1

I like the ones on the right.  I have had RF 7, 7II, RC 64, Forte, all the Icon V series and know first hand there is no giant leap in SQ from one series to the next.  I still own the Icon VF 35's since 2011.  I got rid of a lot of Klipsch speaker but, kept the the VF 35's. The wanting to upgrade can be costly over the years. Save up and buy your dream speakers and not look back, it's cheaper, lol.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:17 PM, Gusss said:

So…. I am probably confused…

whats better?

Rf3 ii    (2001)  

R-28F   (2014)

I'm late to this, but to answer your question, you're talking about two fundamentally different series of speaker - as I mentioned in my post that you quoted.  The R-28F's are the lesser of the two, with the IMG cone and aluminum tweeters.  The RF-3's use cerametallic woofers and titanium tweeters.  The 28's - as mentioned - lend themselves to the budget line of Klipsch speakers, while the 3's are more associated with the Reference Premier line.  Although the RF-3's are first generation speakers, they're still some of the best budget pickups you can get, and with very little in the way of upgrades can be made to perform absolutely above and beyond their pricepoint.

On 2/26/2024 at 12:25 PM, The History Kid said:

I'm late to this, but to answer your question, you're talking about two fundamentally different series of speaker - as I mentioned in my post that you quoted.  The R-28F's are the lesser of the two, with the IMG cone and aluminum tweeters.  The RF-3's use cerametallic woofers and titanium tweeters.  The 28's - as mentioned - lend themselves to the budget line of Klipsch speakers, while the 3's are more associated with the Reference Premier line.  Although the RF-3's are first generation speakers, they're still some of the best budget pickups you can get, and with very little in the way of upgrades can be made to perform absolutely above and beyond their pricepoint.

I bought both sets (because of your late response) “just kidding”…. 🤣
Once they get to me, I still have to ship them down south, I’ll do a comparison. 
I can only keep 1 pair.

So, if I decide to to stay with the F3ii’s, what mods do you recommend, I’ve been reading about just changing caps, with better quality ones…

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gusss said:

I bought both sets (because of your late response) “just kidding”…. 🤣
Once they get to me, I still have to ship them down south, I’ll do a comparison. 
I can only keep 1 pair.

So, if I decide to to stay with the F3ii’s, what mods do you recommend, I’ve been reading about just changing caps, with better quality ones…

Everyone is different, there are many things you can do to them.  My RF-3's have B&K crossovers in them that were reworked.  I don't know if Bob's son has taken over the business, but if he has you could opt to get them built.  If not, if you're good at soldering, replacing the caps would be a good bet.  I'd have to double check, but I also know we beefed up the diaphragm in the horns too, fixed up the internal padding a bit and replaced the feet to help with the front baffle separation that some of the earlier Reference II's had.  If you really want the look - you can use RF-35 drivers in the RF-3's as well - removes the black dust cap - but you aren't gaining anything over cosmetics (I personally like the caps myself).

The XO's are definitely where I'd start though, they're the most practical and most likely to improve your overall experience.

EQ them well (I actually just use tone controls and they open up well), feed them plenty of power, toe them, and pound it.  Should be a great experience.

11 hours ago, The History Kid said:

we beefed up the diaphragm in the horns too

Can you please further explain…

11 hours ago, The History Kid said:

replaced the feet to help with the front baffle separation that some of the earlier Reference II's had.

I couldn’t find any info either…

8 hours ago, Gusss said:

Here are the diaphragms and XO's:

CD76TiM Titanium Tweeter Diaphragm - Pair - FREE US Shipping! – Crites Speakers

RF-3, RF-3 II Crossover - Pair, New - FREE US Shipping! – Crites Speakers

I don't remember which feet I purchased, but basically I purchased a set that has a beam across the bottom of the speaker rather than the floating feet that comes with them.  This relieves some of the stress on the corners and can help with issues with the front baffle and the feet.

2 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Here are the diaphragms and XO's:

CD76TiM Titanium Tweeter Diaphragm - Pair - FREE US Shipping! – Crites Speakers

RF-3, RF-3 II Crossover - Pair, New - FREE US Shipping! – Crites Speakers

I don't remember which feet I purchased, but basically I purchased a set that has a beam across the bottom of the speaker rather than the floating feet that comes with them.  This relieves some of the stress on the corners and can help with issues with the front baffle and the feet.

I have the same “02-20144”  as that site…

I just don’t if the consistency of the ferrofluid is ok… it’s not sticky, it just feels as auto oil….

can you post a picture of the feet?

IMG_2760.thumb.jpeg.791c6af44363ae853161a0fa1c301475.jpeg

That one you're showing is in pretty rough shape.  The 02-20144 refers to the matching Klipsch part number, they aren't the same diaphragm based on what I've had in hand.

These aren't the ones I have, but they're similar:

Amazon.com: Dayton Audio OS-2M Outrigger HD Speaker Spike Set Medium with Black Steel Base 2 Pcs : Electronics

• Like 1