Optimal room size?

longhair55

Are there any recommended room sizes for the Heritage line?

I have my Heresy's in a 8"X10" room,.. and I know thats really too small,.. anything over  1 watt, and ya gotta leave the room...

Now I'm wondering about Cornwall's in a 10"X18" room.

There are a pair of La Scala's for sale, some what locally,... (I've wanted them since I bought the Heresy's in the 70's) but I can visualize them (they are about the same size as my dishwasher!), and I know they are to big for my small house.

• Like 1

I have my Cornwalls in a room that's about the size you are considering and I really enjoy them.  I have them placed in the corners on the long wall, slightly toed in.  The imaging is great in the sweet spot!  I run them on 300B SET monos, with a sub for a little more bottom end.  Previously ran Heresies and wanted a bigger sound.  Welcome to the forum!

7 hours ago, longhair55 said:

I have my Heresy's in a 8"X10" room,.. and I know thats really too small,.. anything over  1 watt, and ya gotta leave the room...

There are a pair of La Scala's for sale, some what locally,... (I've wanted them since I bought the Heresy's in the 70's) but I can visualize them (they are about the same size as my dishwasher!), and I know they are to big for my small house.

I have klf20s, kg4.5s, t500s and a few others....in an RV.  Sounds great.  Just do it.  You can always build an addition 😉

14 hours ago, longhair55 said:

I have my Chorus II's in a 14x18 room along the long wall sound is great even at low volume but can get ridiculous pretty quick. I recently demo'd a pair of RP-160's little bookshelf speakers and surprisingly they seemed to fill the room with ease but I never pushed them to see how loud they'd go. I'm one of those that like having bigger speakers and more power on tap than I could ever need, that way my system can just loaf along unstrained with plenty of dynamic range.

• Like 1

I have Cornwall IVs in my living/dining/kitchen area that’s mostly open. In total it’s about 22x25. I can only sit about 11 feet from the speakers but there is an open foyer extending behind me. I would venture to say that this is an ideal space for Fortes, however I like that the Cornwalls can be placed against the wall. Plus the bigger soundstage is nice when listening in the kitchen or up walking around. They can easily overwhelm the room but that’s what a volume control is for. I also have KLF 20s that were in this space but now are in a 12x20 room on the short wall where they sound great. Upstairs side by side the Cornwalls cast a wider more room filling soundstage. 18x20 gives enough space I believe to take advantage of that. 

This is a good topic and would like to know more what is the ideal square footage or room size in feet to accommodate the Corwalls.. In a way knowing the ideal size so I can get the speakers maximum potential or I'd say its sweetest volume spot.

Just for example I have a listening 19' x 17' feet 324 sq-ft. The minimum ideal speaker size in my is 6.5 to 7 inch single woofer floorstand cabinet. Anything over that is too loud for me especially when I kick the volume to close to 100 db. 

Which by the way I can do it on my speakers the sound that's coming out of my speakers is pure music not loudness. I can easily speak to my wife and be well understood at that volume level. If i was using and 8 inch or up on the same db, we wouldn't be able to communicate.

On my living room which is a 30' x 20' feet - 600 sq-ft, I'm using a modded KG-3.5 single 8 floorstander and this is just perfect for me. If i go 10 inch or up, its already too loud for me. 

We have another house that has 1,000 sq ft listening room. I already have the amp and pretty much I can drive almost any home speakers. I was looking at the heritage lines and the more I look, study and listen to the local demo's, the more I was leaning towards the Cornwalls IV. I notice it it has an excellent bottom end plus it has a very good imaging sound (not as great as the La Scala) but I will easily vote the Conrnwalls in over all and since I don't drive subwoofers too. I just wanna make sure that the Cornwall will not over power the 1000 sq ft. "realistically".

PS: please keep in mind that my experiences are only for "personal preference" and not to be meant as a general or standard based comment.  😺

• Like 1

It's not really about optimal room "size".

It's about optimal room proportions.

That being said, the larger the room volume, the less we have to be concerned about room modes - dimensions that are equal to, or some geometric series related to the wavelength of a sound frequency thereof (ie: 1/2, 1/4, 2x, etc). (40Hz = 28.25 foot wavelength) (400Hz = 2.825 feet) (10KHz = 0.113 feet = 1-3/8")

Even then it mainly applies to rooms with parallel surfaces.

As the room dimensions get larger, the modes affecting the lowest frequencies become less & less important. At higher frequencies the room modes are so closely spaced (because the sound frequency wavelengths are shorter) it doesn't matter anymore, and other acoustical properties become more important.

Room dimensions equal to or some geometric interval thereof will cause cancellation of those frequencies depending on where you are listening in the room.

On 2/19/2023 at 10:28 AM, CCG said:

This is a good topic and would like to know more what is the ideal square footage or room size in feet to accommodate the Corwalls.. In a way knowing the ideal size so I can get the speakers maximum potential or I'd say its sweetest volume spot.

Just for example I have a listening 19' x 17' feet 324 sq-ft. The minimum ideal speaker size in my is 6.5 to 7 inch single woofer floorstand cabinet. Anything over that is too loud for me especially when I kick the volume to close to 100 db. 

Which by the way I can do it on my speakers the sound that's coming out of my speakers is pure music not loudness. I can easily speak to my wife and be well understood at that volume level. If i was using and 8 inch or up on the same db, we wouldn't be able to communicate.

On my living room which is a 30' x 20' feet - 600 sq-ft, I'm using a modded KG-3.5 single 8 floorstander and this is just perfect for me. If i go 10 inch or up, its already too loud for me. 

We have another house that has 1,000 sq ft listening room. I already have the amp and pretty much I can drive almost any home speakers. I was looking at the heritage lines and the more I look, study and listen to the local demo's, the more I was leaning towards the Cornwalls IV. I notice it it has an excellent bottom end plus it has a very good imaging sound (not as great as the La Scala) but I will easily vote the Conrnwalls in over all and since I don't drive subwoofers too. I just wanna make sure that the Cornwall will not over power the 1000 sq ft. "realistically".

PS: please keep in mind that my experiences are only for "personal preference" and not to be meant as a general or standard based comment.  😺

Bump on previous follow-up...😺