The Klipsch Sevens...a review

billybob

You get a 4 meter cord and a 2 meter extension. That’s almost 20 feet - so figure 12 feet apart to account for slack. That’s plenty for most people. 

You only need one power receptacle. 

Most speaker stands allow for tucking cables into them. I personally have no issue with wires showing. 

If I could be convinced that the plate amp wouldn’t die a week after the warranty period expires - I would order them today. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Deang said:

If I could be convinced that the plate amp wouldn’t die a week after the warranty period expires, or that replacements could be ordered for the life of the speaker - I would order them today. 

Good point about serviceability.

One of the first things I'd check relative to performance is how well channel balance is preserved as you turn the volume all the way down.  I like listening at low levels and hate when one channel completely attenuates before the other.   Every powered computer speaker I've had was terrible in this respect.   At $1300 for these speakers I'd want this to be perfect but would find it surprising if they are.  ..Afterall, the volume control appears to be a pretty simple affair. ..This could be managed by a balance control, but none is provided.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/26/2023 at 1:13 PM, ODS123 said:

The beauty shots of these products on the website cleverly show NO no cables, but in actual use, there will be visible cables - at minimum, a power cord to one of the speakers, then the tether to the other..

Everyone in that market shows them without cables. 

I think the cables issue popped up much more with "wireless surrounds" because people didn't realize you still had to plug them in somewhere. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Deang said:

If I could be convinced that the plate amp wouldn’t die a week after the warranty period expires, or that replacements could be ordered for the life of the speaker - I would order them today. 

Guess you didn't get the memo?

You are the new authorized plate amp rebuilder for warranty and out of warranty repairs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was contemplating something like these speakers because my lovely wife and I are discussing retirement in 1 or 2 years as we are now empty nesters 

Going from a large house to an apartment- so I was considering the 6, 7 & 9’s 

So my take home advise is - any component you choose needs to be considered in a holistic way and is Fit for purpose 

In my case I need to get a close as possible to the sound of my DIY modified La Scala’s without the size equation 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Everyone in that market shows them without cables. 

That's my point. Check out this picture of the Fives - the pic shows a lovely pair flanking a TV, with a TT below.  Well, if all you use these speakers for is Bluetooth streaming from your phone, then they'll preserve their nice tidy appearance you see here (well, you'll still have one power cord running up to one, then the tether running across to other speaker).  But if you plan to hook a turntable and TV up to them, you'll now have cables that DON'T run down inside of a cabinet.  You'll have the HDMI cord (which is pretty thick and conspicuous) and RCA cable running over to one of the speakers.  So how is that any simpler or cleaner than just using a simple blue-tooth enabled integrated amp and non-powered speakers??

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 6.21.02 AM.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

how is that any simpler or cleaner than just using a simple blue-tooth enabled integrated amp and non-powered speakers??

The turntable is Bluetooth? I think turntables are the exception for this crowd, it’s Wi-Fi streaming.

It is what the market wants, matters not what make sense. 

Those 3 systems above range from $3k up to 8K for the Sony. Designed for the small urban European living spaces. It’s not going away, it gets bigger and bigger every year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

People spend thousands on Amplifiers suddenly a $150 plate a mp Is good enough ??

Its not the amp(s) that has the biggest impact here it is the active crossover/EQ and DSP control which make the real difference. You still need to have chosen good drivers and do all the same engineering that are required to make a good loudspeaker. No argument from me about the value of a good amplifier but an amplifier can't fix the problems that a DSP system can. 

• Like 4

On 2/27/2023 at 11:24 PM, Full Range said:

I was contemplating something like these speakers because my lovely wife and I are discussing retirement in 1 or 2 years as we are now empty nesters 

Going from a large house to an apartment- so I was considering the 6, 7 & 9’s 

So my take home advise is - any component you choose needs to be considered in a holistic way and is Fit for purpose 

In my case I need to get a close as possible to the sound of my DIY modified La Scala’s without the size equation 

Focus on this discussion seems to be on >The Fives, what about the others is more attractive? In my first post (Decision Challenged…) I too am debating my existing vs adding The Fives with a SW (already have). I understand the whole messy cord thing, but to me it’s six of one half dozen of the other.  My son lives in a small house with The Fives, he loves them. No TT, CD player, only streams the limited listening.  They may be a ‘gateway’ for a generation where listening to music wasn’t their thing (PC/gaming is); maybe once they start small, they’ll want ‘bigger’ sound from a set of Fortes, who knows.

Back to my original question, I see a SW and The Fives as a really good combo, vs. The Nines.  That’s a quick gloss over the numbers - thoughts?

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 6:25 AM, ODS123 said:

That's my point. Check out this picture of the Fives - the pic shows a lovely pair flanking a TV, with a TT below.  Well, if all you use these speakers for is Bluetooth streaming from your phone, then they'll preserve their nice tidy appearance you see here (well, you'll still have one power cord running up to one, then the tether running across to other speaker).  But if you plan to hook a turntable and TV up to them, you'll now have cables that DON'T run down inside of a cabinet.  You'll have the HDMI cord (which is pretty thick and conspicuous) and RCA cable running over to one of the speakers.  So how is that any simpler or cleaner than just using a simple blue-tooth enabled integrated amp and non-powered speakers??

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 6.21.02 AM.jpg

I have a Bluetooth turntable that I use with my Klipsch The One II.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2023 at 12:24 PM, Deang said:

You get a 4 meter cord and a 2 meter extension. That’s almost 20 feet - so figure 12 feet apart to account for slack. That’s plenty for most people. 

You only need one power receptacle. 

Most speaker stands allow for tucking cables into them. I personally have no issue with wires showing. 

Wire can always be tucked between Carpet and Baseboard. 

If you are so equipped