New Klipsch Subwoofers ?

Quadraphonic

I am in the market for a subwoofer to compliment my new Cornwall IV’s.  Having never had a sub in my system I would appreciate some advice in choosing appropriately.

1 sub or 2?

Size/power?

Connection? My Amp/preamp has no sub out.

Is there any truth to the rumour that Klipsch is bringing out a new line of subs ?

7 hours ago, Quadraphonic said:

I am in the market for a subwoofer to compliment my new Cornwall IV’s.  Having never had a sub in my system I would appreciate some advice in choosing appropriately. 1 sub or 2? Size/power? Connection? My Amp/preamp has no sub out.

Is there any truth to the rumour that Klipsch is bringing out a new line of subs ?

How big is your room? Movies, music, both? Budget? Right now I would not buy a new Klipsch sub unless something new and great were to be revealed the low dollar options may be tempting but you really do get what you pay for. Lots of great Subwoofer companies out there offering free in home trials need to narrow down what it is you're looking for to get any good suggestions. Congrats on the new Cornwalls!

• Like 2

Cornwalls are brutally efficient; you'll have to get a subwoofer that can match it. In the case of a subwoofer, you're looking at amp power, not efficiency

because efficiency isn't a spec for subs as far as I know.

And for no technical reason I can come up with, I'd recommend you get a sub with the same size driver as your 15" Cornwalls.

I recommend buying 1 subwoofer to start; you may be satisfied and you'll save money and space.

I don't think a 12" (or a pair) will be able to keep up with the high output of the 15" woofers in the CW IV. Look for 15" or bigger.

I do advocate for at least two subs. You can tap off the outputs of your amp going into the high level inputs on the sub. That said, you don't need a sub out. An additional line out from the preamp section will suffice.

I had an 15” HSU Sub I used with my Forte IVs and it sounded good. I had a chance to get a REL S812 sub and the REL was a much better match in my system. The REL is fast and integrates seamlessly with the Forte IVs. Really just made the Fortes sound like much larger speakers and tremendous bass and mid bass is fantastic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jjptkd said:

How big is your room? Movies, music, both? Budget? Right now I would not buy a new Klipsch sub unless something new and great were to be revealed the low dollar options may be tempting but you really do get what you pay for. Lots of great Subwoofer companies out there offering free in home trials need to narrow down what it is you're looking for to get any good suggestions. Congrats on the new Cornwalls!

Thanks for the advice jjptkd:

The room is 32 x 24 x 12 .

Soon to have 4 - CW IV’s in the corners.

I don’t know if it’s ever been done before, or why, lol.

Perhaps your suggestion to try one/ them out would achieve the best results.

7 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Cornwalls are brutally efficient; you'll have to get a subwoofer that can match it. In the case of a subwoofer, you're looking at amp power, not efficiency

because efficiency isn't a spec for subs as far as I know.

And for no technical reason I can come up with, I'd recommend you get a sub with the same size driver as your 15" Cornwalls.

I recommend buying 1 subwoofer to start; you may be satisfied and you'll save money and space.

This sounds reasonable, thank you !

• Like 1

My 2 cents …

- more than 1 sub provides a great deal more capability in taming room modes (esp. below the. Schroeder frequency). I’d suggest either 2 or 4 subwoofers

- use a MiniDSP 2x4HD to integrate the subs 

- horn loaded subs are available, but often involve DIY. Check out Bill Fitzmaurice’s designs. I built 2 of his THTLPs and have been very happy with them

- consider other brands than Klipsch for subs. Klipsch does many things well, but I’ve not been impressed with their subs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quadraphonic said:

The room is 32 x 24 x 12 .

That's a good size room. Mine is similar but with a corner chopped out so L shaped. And only 9 foot ceilings. I have two Danley TH subs that keep up nicely with the Jubes and add the extra oomph in the bottom octave. Can it get too loud? You betcha. But you will be amazed at how much bass a room that size can swallow up. And how well it can sound at moderate levels with multiple subs.

7 hours ago, Quadraphonic said:

32 x 24 x 12 .

Yep  That 's a pretty large size room you got there   +   2 pairs of CW IV   ,   1  Klipsch  KPT- 1802 -HLS  Cinema sub  can do the job , but it's a special order / horn loaded subwoofer with a Patented vented LF , alike the 36k$ Jubilee   .

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/KPT-1802-HLS-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OO1 said:

Yep  That 's a pretty large size room you got there   +   2 pairs of CW IV   ,   1  Klipsch  KPT- 1802 -HLS  Cinema sub  can do the job , but it's a special order item  , it's a horn loaded subwoofer with a Patented vented LF , alike the 36k$ Jubilee

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/KPT-1802-HLS-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf

Wow, wouldn’t that be nice !

Its too bad I don’t have an unlimited budget. 😁

10 hours ago, Quadraphonic said:

Wow, wouldn’t that be nice !

Its too bad I don’t have an unlimited budget. 😁

What is your budget if you don't mind me asking? There are literally dozens (maybe over 100?) options out there from a lot of companies. Your space is pretty large I think you're probably better off with a pair of larger driver subs in ported cabinets. Rythmik, HSU are a couple of highly rated "budget" subwoofer companies.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html

https://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

What is your budget if you don't mind me asking? There are literally dozens (maybe over 100?) options out there from a lot of companies. Your space is pretty large I think you're probably better off with a pair of larger driver subs in ported cabinets. Rythmik, HSU are a couple of highly rated "budget" subwoofer companies.

I originally bought a single VTF-15H II but traded it back in on a pair of ULS-15 IIs. Good quality products.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

My 2 cents …

- more than 1 sub provides a great deal more capability in taming room modes (esp. below the. Schroeder frequency). I’d suggest either 2 or 4 subwoofers

- use a MiniDSP 2x4HD to integrate the subs 

- horn loaded subs are available, but often involve DIY. Check out Bill Fitzmaurice’s designs. I built 2 of his THTLPs and have been very happy with them

- consider other brands than Klipsch for subs. Klipsch does many things well, but I’ve not been impressed with their subs.

Initially I assumed a single Klipsch subwoofer would match this system but this community has been immensely helpful with all of your knowledge and experience.

I will find out what a mini DSP is and I will check out your suggestion.  Thx

6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Yeah, as far as budget goes, I pretty much blew my load on the CW IV’s.

I guess I’m back to saving up for some subwoofers.  Maybe 2 CW IV’s and 2 subs would have been a better decision.

My marriage survived the the first onslaught... so there is still hope.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Quadraphonic said:

Yeah, as far as budget goes, I pretty much blew my load on the CW IV’s.

I guess I’m back to saving up for some subwoofers.  Maybe 2 CW IV’s and 2 subs would have been a better decision.

My marriage survived the the first onslaught... so there is still hope.

That would have been a much better choice.