Some new Schiit

geezin'

Two new amps. Both Affordable and low power. Something I've been thinking about for awhile but had evaded me. And both are capable of mono.

I'm a relative neophyte at this but do any of you think I can drive a Klipsch KG sub and a pair of Heresy 1 with 4 watts per channel?

https://www.schiit.com/products/gjallarhorn

https://www.schiit.com/products/rekkr

• Like 1

The first on your list is 10 watts/8 ohm, stereo and 30 watts in mono. Ten would probably be plenty for the H1’s. I don’t know the sub but isn’t it powered (internal amp)? If it’s not and for 600$ I’d double up and grab 2x. Their return policy seems it might be worth taking a chance. Although, I have never owned any of that “shite” 😉

• Like 1

I have a Modi 3+ and it's great. Their quality for the dollar is outstanding.

Was looking at Vidar,Vidar2 and Aegir. But this can allow me to experiment with a very low investment. I want to see what the Heresy will do with single digit wattage too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2023 at 8:02 PM, geezin' said:

I have a Modi 3+ and it's great. Their quality for the dollar is outstanding.

Was looking at Vidar,Vidar2 and Aegir. But this can allow me to experiment with a very low investment. I want to see what the Heresy will do with single digit wattage too.

I've got an Anthem MCA 225 g2, which is 225 watts per channel.  It's brand new, I bought back in February the week before the new Schiiters came out.  I'd like to buy two of the gjallarhorn just to see what it does in stereo and mono-block.  I don't regret buying the Anthem, I just want MOAR!!! LOL!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I use a Vidar II on each of my Forte IV surrounds in bridged mono. They sound fantastic. Great tonal match for the Bryston I use for my other channels. Quick and tactile providing plenty of power for near full range surround reproduction.

Schiit stuff is built really well and the quality/performance for the money is awfully hard to beat.

They sound 100x better than the Crown XLS1002s I was temporarily running since the Bryston 2B-LPs I was using got burned out in a power surge. Need to get them both restored but I may just end up leaving the Vidar IIs in, I've been super happy with them.

Had a Ragnorak as well about 6 years ago before I bought my current home or owned any Heritage speakers. That was a great amp as well.

IMHO for Heritage Class AB is what you want if you like SS. Unless one likes more of a tubey sound then Class A is a bit more up your alley but Schitt doesn't make one and their AB amp isn't warm/laidback sounding. Class D just doesn't sound quite right at least in my experience on either the Heresy III or Forte IV. Never tried it on KHorns but have no interest, no matter how expensive or "high end" it is. For subs, class D is a different story though.

• 7 months later...
On 7/1/2023 at 5:27 PM, sixspeed said:

I use a Vidar II on each of my Forte IV surrounds in bridged mono. They sound fantastic. Great tonal match for the Bryston I use for my other channels. Quick and tactile providing plenty of power for near full range surround reproduction.

Schiit stuff is built really well and the quality/performance for the money is awfully hard to beat.

They sound 100x better than the Crown XLS1002s I was temporarily running since the Bryston 2B-LPs I was using got burned out in a power surge. Need to get them both restored but I may just end up leaving the Vidar IIs in, I've been super happy with them.

Had a Ragnorak as well about 6 years ago before I bought my current home or owned any Heritage speakers. That was a great amp as well.

IMHO for Heritage Class AB is what you want if you like SS. Unless one likes more of a tubey sound then Class A is a bit more up your alley but Schitt doesn't make one and their AB amp isn't warm/laidback sounding. Class D just doesn't sound quite right at least in my experience on either the Heresy III or Forte IV. Never tried it on KHorns but have no interest, no matter how expensive or "high end" it is. For subs, class D is a different story though.

Class D is a deep rabbit hole.

NAD M32 with my Belles is not my VRD with CJ PV 12B, but it is uncomplicated software wise.