The Legend series to be Discontinued???

Dark7pt1

HelloHellof>

I was checking for reviews on the KLF30 and the most recent posting mentioned that the Legend series will be discontinued. Is this true?? If so, then with what new series will Klipsch be replacing this line with??

Thanks.

btw...feel free to e-mail me directly...

Dark:

The Reference series will be expanded with the idea of making speakers with the dynamics of the Legend series and the accuracy of the Reference series. I know that there will be new speakers for each home theatre application, but I've only had interest in the two-channel applications of the new line.

There was a thread in the Home Theatre board that has a lot of information about the new Reference speakers. I belive it was entitled something like "Klipsch announces new speakers line" or something like that. Do a search or sort through the Home Theatre board, and you'll find it. It contains about as much information about the new line as there seems to be information available.

By the way: if you find out what the expected impedence range for the RF-7 is, please drop me a note.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Thanks Prana!

Well being as I'm in no hurry to upgrade my speakers...I'm assuming the new line of Reference speakers will be available in September or so?

Well, I'll go look for that posting you mentioned...hope I can find it...And I will drop you a llne when I get info...feel free to e-mail me directly smile.gif

Talked with my local dealer yesterday. From what I understand Klipsch will no longer be doing a 3-way speaker. Are all of the new ones really 2-way? That would be a little disappointing, to say the least.

E-mail me if you're looking for great deals on the current Legend series. My dealer has great deals on the KLF10's and 30's. I think the 20's too, but I'm not sure. I believe the 10's are going for $700-$800. They also double warranties for free. Great place to do business with. Just thought I'd let you know.

Hey Froost

Hope your dealer is wrong about the upcoming RF7 (mains) being only 2-way. If you check on the above mentioned URL there is no mention of this change. Only that the Legend series will be history and that 14 new models will be introduced...that the exisiting Legend technology will be mated to Reference creating the RF7, RC7 and RS7.

Haven't been to my local Klipsch dealer yet. Would be nice if some one from Klipsch would comment on this or better yet update the website.

As for buying current Legends...I think it would be cheaper/easier to buy locally. I'm not in a hurry so I'll probably wait on the RF7s...

The comments about 2-way and 3-way speakers are interesting. I'd be interested in hearing from those who know (which is NOT me) what the preferred design is, for audio purity. One would think that 3-way should be better -- allowing more specialized speakers to handle the part of the frequency spectrum they are best at -- yet creating a smooth 3-way crossover must be very difficult. In fact, I understand that there has been an ongoing quest to create a 2-way Klipschorn, to eliminate the challenges of the 3-way crossover.

Input, anyone?

Believe or not, I remeber reading some information from Bob G or Phil H about the use of 2.5 way crossovers in one or more of the new models. For example let's say the crossover is 2000Hz with a frequency range of 34Hz to 20kHz with the RF-5's. There would be one woofer that would go from 34Hz to 2000Hz and the other woofer would go from 34Hz to 800Hz. These numbers are not correct, I am just using them as an example. I believe the idea is to have deeper more accurate bass. This kind of sounds like the best of both worlds compared to 2 or 3 way designs. I am not sure, but I thing the RC-3 uses this kind of crossover currently. I am not 100% on this information, I wish I could remember where I read it.

Just my two cents!

JT

The purpose for the overlapping passbands for the drivers (that is, "two and half way" crossovers) is to provide a more controlled off axis dispersion. As the frequency goes up, the effective radiating area goes down, providing a more uniform in-room power response.

This technique is not all that unusual... see for example:

JMLab Chorus 715 at http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/home/chorus/

the B&W DM603 at http://www2.bwspeakers.com/products/gallery/product_details.cfm?speaker_id=419DBECF-EF4D-11D3-B01E0000E20E7DA6

the PSB Stratus Silver at http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/StratusSilveri.html

and there are many others. Cool idea that works very well.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ok, I looked at the picture of the new rf5 or 7, not sure which. It looked like a two-way to me. As i understand it, klipsch does three different drivers for their 3-way speakers. That would be a little odd. I don't know if a $2k 2-way speaker would be the best move. If that's the case, i might just grab some klf's. Does anyone have any more info on this? BOBG?..........

As rowooo said, buy based on sound, not on configuration or number of drivers. The opposite end of the spectrum from the multi-driver arrays like the 901 is the subculture of audiophiles who believe that the only one, true way to accurately reproduce music is to use ONE full range driver, with NO crossovers between the driver and the amp. Check out this link: http://www.carfrae.com for a gander at products like this:

carfraehorn.jpg

Ray and rowoo have it right; sound is sound and driver count is another thing entirely. The new RF-7 and RF-5 are three driver speakers which offer better sound than the Legend series. The KLF-10 is a three driver two-way design while the KLF-20 adn KLF-30 are four driver, three-way designs.

A new compression driver of very large diameter and capable performance was developed for the RF-7 and its matching center the RC-7. VERY serious woofers were developed as well.

Any evaluation based on counting drivers will lead you astray from the only important consideration: the Sound.

I understand that it is believed helpful to evaluate based on driver configuration, specs, size etc., but all that becomes inconsequential once the product can be heard.

The forthcoming Reference models are, in our estimation, superior to the Legend models. There will undoubtedly be some who disagree as taste varies. However, the Reference models will be better in tonal balance, dynamics and distortion. You won't have too wait much longer to judge for yourself.

Everybody can generate an arguement for the best

configuration of drivers and crossover. I'd love

to listen to a pair of Carfrae horns for a long while.

The look is superb. My preference is a 2-way

design for it's overall simplicity and especially

the simpler crossover it *could* have. Since a

2-way La Scala is either not possible, or the

tweeter would be stunningly expensive, I have

3-way speakers and am happy.

John