Epic CF2 or KG4

Micklipsch

I’m looking to downsize from my CF4s in a particular space in my house, so it was between these two. I’ve been all but sold on the KG4s by family of mine who say that they are fantastic speakers. I also love my Epics so figured it might be a good fit to stay in that line. The CF2 would accomplish the downsizing but they would still be a fair bit larger and heavier than the KG4s save for a bit narrower footprint. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

I’m looking to downsize from my CF4s in a particular space in my house, so it was between these two. I’ve been all but sold on the KG4s by family of mine who say that they are fantastic speakers. I also love my Epics so figured it might be a good fit to stay in that line. The CF2 would accomplish the downsizing but they would still be a fair bit larger and heavier than the KG4s save for a bit narrower footprint. What do you guys think?

Cf-2s

4 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I think you will greatly regret getting rid of the CF-4s.

I'm not getting rid of them, just moving to another area of my house. The left speaker blocks part of the TV viewing from the side and are otherwise a bit large for the space. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Micklipsch said:

Can you elaborate? I value your opinion!

Well, I have the CF-1 and really like it. Was after the CF-2 but settled. You may have remorse selling the CF-4 and you say you like the sound. Have not looked lately but was reminded about the larger horn on the 2s. Is 8 inch woofers like size of the KG-4s. Figure either one 

should do you. Just try to demo either in good sonic condition, and looks. Price a consideration for me, at least.

Some parts for replacement on either may require a bit of searching so, pick it like you are picking a sweetie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Well, I have the CF-1 and really like it. Was after the CF-2 but settled. You may have remorse selling the CF-4 and you say you like the sound. Have not looked lately but was reminded about the larger horn on the 2s. Is 8 inch woofers like size of the KG-4s. Figure either one 

should do you. Just try to demo either in good sonic condition, and looks. Price a consideration for me, at least.

Some parts for replacement on either may require a bit of searching so, pick it like you are picking a sweetie.

I'm never selling the CF4s. Those were a gift from family and will always stay in family. I actually have extra 2" tweeters on hand from a separte incident should I ever need to replace one. 

But yeah, I'm sold chiefly on the KG4s form factor for the room they'll be going into, coupled with the high praise I've heard about them. I actually bought 1 CF2 before stripping it to rebuild a KV4, but before doing so auditioned the single speaker, and it too sounded great. Guess I can't go wrong either way and it just comes down to form factor, which I think the KG4 might win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

I'm not getting rid of them, just moving to another area of my house. The left speaker blocks part of the TV viewing from the side and are otherwise a bit large for the space. 

Good to hear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Micklipsch said:

The CF2 would accomplish the downsizing 

CF-2 speakers are quite rare  + they sound fantastic   ,but  careful here ,  the CF series was a limited production run , because it was very expensive to manufacture even by today's standards and thus ,the replacement  parts are not available except  on the used market  , if you  buy a pair , make sure they are in mint condition .

4 minutes ago, OO1 said:

CF-2 speakers are quite rare  + they sound fantastic   ,but  careful here ,  the CF series was a limited production run , because it was very expensive to manufacture even by today's standards and thus ,the replacement  parts are not available except  on the used market  , if you  buy a pair , make sure they are in mint condition .

Yeah for sure. I have 2 extra diaphrams on hand (CF234 and KV4 all used the same one). Got a line on a local pair of light oaks with Crite's rebuild for $550. They look to be mint. 

These CFs got some depth though, even the smaller variants. 16" on just the CF2s, whereas the KG4s are only 10.75". When considering downsizing, CF2s are 13" wide, KGs are like 15.75" so that's the only area the CFs win, and not by much. Height 24.25" vs CF's 37", which is substantially taller but still will not block the TV I don't think. CF4s at 44" tall are blocking a nice corner of the TV at a side angle though!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Micklipsch said:

Yeah for sure. I have 2 extra diaphrams on hand (CF234 and KV4 all used the same one)  

Wow ,  can  you post a picture of the diaphragm with the klipsch part no   ,the Forum went through a few upgrades along the years and that data is gone , Tx  

3 minutes ago, OO1 said:

Wow ,  can  you post a picture of the diaphragm with the klipsch part no   ,the Forum went through a few upgrades along the years and that data is gone , Tx  

For sure. I may need a little time to dig out the box where I have them carefully stored.

I believe I posted a bunch of info a few years back in the forum when I went thru that unfortunate KV4 debacle. I'll look for that too.

12 minutes ago, OO1 said:

I'm not sure if this immediately helps your query. If it does, great. If not, let me know and I'll go looking for that box.