veneer fixing, reconditioning

Anyone know how to take out scratches in cherry veneer?  Or at least, make them less noticeable.  My rc7 has a few and it's driving me 🥜. 

Can I lightly sand the whole thing and re stain them? 

Appreciate any good ideas!

There are products that will hide scratches some but do not expect miracles. One has to be extremely careful sanding them out. The veneer is really thin on modern sheets. If you break through the veneer it will look worse than when you started. But that is the only proper way of getting rid of scratches. One can always veneer them again if appearance really is a concern. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Got_Horns said:

Anyone know how to take out scratches in cherry veneer?  Or at least, make them less noticeable.  My rc7 has a few and it's driving me 🥜. 

Keep your eye out for a mint speaker for a decent price when one is found sell the one you have most people wont care about a few light scratches especially if it means a discounted price. 

• Like 1

Use Min Wax Blend-Fil Pencils. After you rub it into the scratch, you can remove the excess by rubbing with your finger. Rub in the direction of the scratch so the fill won't spread beyond the sides of the scratch. Patience produces excellent results. I've covered recessed finished nail heads with it and the result is imperceptible. Practice on a piece of scrap first, making your own scratches and filling them in until you get the hang of it but even if you don't you won't ruin the veneer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 4:15 AM, Peter P. said:

Use Min Wax Blend-Fil Pencils. After you rub it into the scratch, you can remove the excess by rubbing with your finger. Rub in the direction of the scratch so the fill won't spread beyond the sides of the scratch. Patience produces excellent results. I've covered recessed finished nail heads with it and the result is imperceptible. Practice on a piece of scrap first, making your own scratches and filling them in until you get the hang of it but even if you don't you won't ruin the veneer.

Thanks, i completely forgot about that stuff. 

On Amazon, I can't seem to find a cherry for the pencil.  But they have a marker in cherry.  With better reviews. 

Have you ever used the marker? 

I'm thinking of trying the marker but if it doesn't work.  The pencil should still stick? 

I do have some practice pieces to mess around with.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:13 AM, Got_Horns said:

the only product that works  to hide scratches  is ....Trade secret sold on Amazon   ..https://www.tradesecret.ca/?page_id=160  

• Thanks 1