My first Tube Integrated-a PrimaLuna Dialogue Two-any thoughts on Tubes that I should try to optimize sound???

edzu1234

Guys a tube is just a device to generate a current flow of electrons. If it produces a good even stream of electrons one should sound very much like another type of the same family. Comparing say just EL-34's for example. Just my opinion after a decade or more playing with tube technology. What really matters to me now is how well the tube is made and how many hours I can expect from it. Those old tubes of yesterday were quality built that one can expect long tube life from. They were made by the giants of tube builders and not some small factory as they are these days. Most talk of sounding better is just subjective which should be considered in that context, subjective. 

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Those old tubes of yesterday were quality built that one can expect long tube life from. They were made by the giants of tube builders and not some small factory as they are these days.

Henry is absolutely on target with this statement!  For the benefit of anyone new to tubes, this video is worth watching (see part 2 as well):

https://youtu.be/QCksgN7kiv4

To this day I have not used any modern production tubes!

Maynard

3 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Henry is absolutely on target with this statement!  For the benefit of anyone new to tubes, this video is worth watching (see part 2 as well):

https://youtu.be/QCksgN7kiv4

To this day I have not used any modern production tubes!

Maynard

Thanks for the informative link, Maynard. 

I like this old educational films a lot. Also regarding car technology, when a Ford film of that time explains e.g. the differential in the most understandable way.

For those who like to see it, here are the basics explained regarding the function of a triode and a pentode, a film from 1943.

• Like 1

The musical introduction certainly makes you want to pay attention - or stand at attention. Amazing how durable tubes can be made as they were used in relatively new Russian MIG aircraft not long ago. I’ve read that tubes have the advantage over solid state devices in aircraft navigation in that it is impervious to damaging nuclear electromagnetic pulses.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, richieb said:

The musical introduction certainly makes you want to pay attention - or stand at attention. Amazing how durable tubes can be made as they were used in relatively new Russian MIG aircraft not long ago. I’ve read that tubes have the advantage over solid state devices in aircraft navigation in that it is impervious to damaging nuclear electromagnetic pulses.

Those NOS Russian tubes were a deal a few years back. The Russians continued to use tubes long after most countries switched over to sand devices. KT-88 enlightened me on which factory made the best tubes. Still a deal over NOS European or USA made ones. 

21 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Those NOS Russian tubes were a deal a few years back. The Russians continued to use tubes long after most countries switched over to sand devices. KT-88 enlightened me on which factory made the best tubes. Still a deal over NOS European or USA made ones. 

FWIW I had Russian 'Rockets' in an AH! CD player.  They sounded better than any other tube that I tried.  Very punchy bass. 

• Like 1