Cornwall IV hum with tube amp

5 minutes ago, roninklipsch said:

Thanks Gents.  I'm learning a lot already.  Had I of known I would of asked earlier and before I shopped.

Oh well.  I like what I'm hearing so far but need a few more sessions to really get to know what's best with what I have on hand.

Whats best, hours and hours of enjoying lovely music the way it is supposed to sound. 

Update-

In short..

The Ayon is going back.

The Michi is staying.

I may start another thread or may not. I don't want to tie up the forum with newbie crud.

My hope is to run pre out from Michi to tube mono blocks. Michi powers bass, tubes power horns.  That seems to me to be the best plan.  I guess a tube power amp would work  too- really same scenario from a sound prospective as many are dual mono.  I see stuff out there (even Decware).  I will pause, learn and proceed......

Many thanks to all who chimed in. Your input was in valuable and helped ton. I know a lot more today about where I'm heading. 

I also use a lot more Advil but that's temporary.  And that would be lesson #2.  I'm done buying equipment I can't lift!  (exception being the Corns, they are staying)

Agreed.  And no way really to measure/tweak a set up like that for optimal performance possibly. Sounds like a great idea and aesthetically balanced but may be functionally flawed. Folks do it, but every system is different.

Really two paths I guess...

1. Replace Michi with tube integrated that sounds better on Corns. (This will be hard, the Michi does not have a tube sound but it does a damn good job with the Corns)

2. Try the monos knowing full well I may need a "real" pre and put in the effort to set up a tube system built around the Corns. Cool thing about SET etc (even Decware) is it's not too expensive to try.  That being said I just saw a Japanese tube selling for 2400.00 each!  But I see some SET out there that seems like great stuff.

Good news is even if I just give up, I got music.  It's a hobby and its fun. Even more fun now that I'm staying with stuff I can lift.....  50lbs max and I don't think they make 50lb SET amps...lol

Edited by roninklipsch

1 hour ago, roninklipsch said:

Update-

In short..

The Ayon is going back.

The Michi is staying.

I may start another thread or may not. I don't want to tie up the forum with newbie crud.

My hope is to run pre out from Michi to tube mono blocks. Michi powers bass, tubes power horns.  That seems to me to be the best plan.  I guess a tube power amp would work  too- really same scenario from a sound prospective as many are dual mono.  I see stuff out there (even Decware).  I will pause, learn and proceed......

Many thanks to all who chimed in. Your input was in valuable and helped ton. I know a lot more today about where I'm heading. 

I also use a lot more Advil but that's temporary.  And that would be lesson #2.  I'm done buying equipment I can't lift!  (exception being the Corns, they are staying)

Start all threads you want to.

We need to know and learn.

• Thanks 1

I did see some monster tube amps... 

Well one thing I learned, there are a lot more variations then I thought.

Tube single-ended triode (SET)
Tube single-ended OTL (Output transformer less)
Tube push pull OTL (Output transformer less)
Tube push pull
Transistorized single-ended
Transistorized push pull
Transistorized digital
Single-ended hybrids
Push pull hybrids

And another good point was

"You cannot say that any type is superior to another. Just look to the several articles that appears on the specialized magazines and internet. Also, personal reviews that justifies each one type and its variations with arguments that sometimes reach religious or fanatical status. You simply can not doubt those people as they can be honestly reporting what they hear with the type of music they enjoy and in their location with their loudspeaker systems, cables, pre-amplifier and front end (CD player, turntable, etc.)."

So I guess a SET is an option for some of us simply because we can.  And,  it's proven.  Lot's of folks love these things...

8 minutes ago, roninklipsch said:

Update-

The Michi is staying

you came full circle  back  to the   Mishi for the CW IV , that says a lot  ,  at Axpona 2022 klipsch also favored the Mishi with  AudioQuest Mythical Creatures wiring  for the Heritage Jubilee  .

https://twitteringmachines.com/axpona-2022-the-klipsch-heritage-jubilee-a-favorite/

• Thanks 1

Kinda a omen I think.  The Corns are staying.  Perhaps the Michi is too as like another article I read, the only thing I have heard better was a Dag.  I even liked it better than Pass. 

To have Klipsch pick a very similar amp to mine and the same Mfg of course to show their Jubilee says a lot I think. And what is just as interesting in my quest- they did not use tubes.  Different speaker of course but a Klipsch none the less.

I use AQ wiring as well and a Hurricane power cable but use Kimber for speakers. 

I am still going to play with tubes.  I started another thread to get opinions on if that was fun or folly.  But as much as I like to play around, a keeper is a keeper.

Edited by roninklipsch
  • Thanks 1

You were bi-amping with solid state and tubes, ss for the subs and tubes for the CWs. 🙂

I don't like the "cut from a different cloth" sound of ss on a woofer playing into the midrange and then tube for mids/tweeters. All solid state or all tubes on the main speakers for me (which means tubes except for maybe a couple months in the summer).

I do not think it is crap being there are a lot of gasses released the first 100 hours which the getter catches before the tube settles down. But what do I know. Never done any testing, only what most have said on technical forums that I have read which we all know does not make it a fact. 

I was not a believer in SS sand devices, transistors, sounding better with some hours on them until I actually heard bass improve after a short while on a class D amplifier. Heard this twice on two I built. Pass Labs, Nelson Pass' company, recommends his preamp being left on for 24 hours straight before listening to it. Never supposed to turn it off but if one does the 24 hour wait period is recommended again. Go figure. I consider him smarter than most if not all on this forum so that makes me believe there may be some truth in a tube sounding better after some hours on it as well as SS devices. 

I would like to hear more on why you consider this not true spinner because I am sure it would be a good topic to discuss with as many in one camp as the other. I honestly do not care one way or the other, others opinions on a social media forum. Only stating my limited understanding of electronics over the last 50 years and from my participation on technical forums and what I have heard and read there.