Art Duley reviews the VPI Scout in Feb Stereophile

jazman

----------------

On 1/19/2003 1:54:11 PM jazman wrote:

Curmudgeon,

What are you using to drive a LOMC? A good step up device and it's cost, along with cost of a good LOMC has managed to keep me out of that ball game, though I'd like a chance to at least play once. BTW, tbabb is using a Clearaudio Virtuosso from Elusive Disc, which I consider as my next MM selection, if I can't resolve the cost of LOMC.

----------------

jazman,

I'm currently using an Aragon 47K phono stage. It lets you adjust gain (3 settings) and has a bunch of cartridge loading settings. It uses an external power supply and is vewwy, vewwy quiet. I probably should have it listed in my signature but just never thought about it. What I think I really want is a Linn Linto phono stage, my local Linn dealer offered to lend me his personal Linto to try out, I just haven't taken him up on it yet. They don't keep them in stock due to the price and low demand for it in my area. Of course I could wish for someone to send me the new Boulder 2008 phono stage as a (really) long term demo, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, any Linn dealer can obtain a LP12 felt mat. I don't know what the price is, though. Linn dealers aren't supposed to sell equipment out of their territory but most don't have a problem selling spare parts over the phone. This link is to a Linn dealer search in the US:

http://www.linn.co.uk/buy_linn/find_retailer_get_retailers.cfm?continent=1&country=18

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll make both you and Jazzman one. Here are the caveats...

Don't expect a perfect circle, there might be some rough edges

The material I purchased was on a whim, and the Home Depot that I stopped at did not have the materal in black.. so these Donuts will be White.

Shoot me off your shipping info(s).

Jazzman - Hold off on the Linn felt mat. Remember there are some drawbacks with using them which Kelly has mentioned before.

Kelly's quote from a previous post regarding the Linn Felt mat...

"Well, the Linn's felt mat is a pain. It gets dirty. Lumpy. It attracts lint. It will left like a static nightmare with your record. And while it has some benefits sonically, it also has some serious drawbacks. Yes, you CAN improve on the felt mat."

Kelly - I would really like to see that 6SN7 page of yours completed. Nudge Nudge Wink Wink.

- tb

As for the felt mat, as I remember it's around $25 or so and thicker than some others (thicker than Rega Felt). Maybe you can hold off but I have to say that so far, I think the felt sounds better on the acrylic without clamp then acrylic with clamp. And you can minimize all the problems with felt with carefully handling and attention to detail. While those comments I made above are true to an extent, I would think the felt would have less of an affect than the Donut which might dampen more. And I am not convinced now whether that is always a good thing. The real Donut is only 25-30 and has moneyback policy.

I tried the whole comparison again after the ballgame this eve and came away once more thinking the felt really does sound more natural and less contricted. Jazz really just had more life with felt and no clamp. And while I might use the clamp on a warped record, it seems to detract from the natural bloom and life of the playback at other times.

kh

ps- Tim, thanks anyway on the Donut. Sounds like a pain to make and no reason to bother you with the whole mess. Nice to offer, though

Here is what the DIY Donut looks like in White. I don't think it looks that bad and it does seem to improve the sound a lot. I have been using now for a few days and think I prefer it over the plain platter and clamp.

diydonut.jpg

I had some time today, and managed to finish cutting the spares. So it's all done if you change your mind.

- tb

I have not had the opportunity to audition the Clearaudio Basic, but I would like to. Again, my interest is prompted by the desire to lower the total cost of eventually using a LOMC cartridge. The unit has some drawbacks with the fact that the user can't choose settings, but finding a used one at the $280 price level makes the trade off easier to live with. The Aragon 47K mentioned by Curmudgeon may also be a good used buy, it has user gain settings, and a seperate power supply to reduce noise. Still, before I would buy the Clearaudio new, I would consider having one made for not much more money.

Klipsch out.

Tim,

I'll be a go-fer and try your "deluxe, customized, highly modified, performance enhancing vinyl playback damping system".(Brand named DCHMPEVPDS.) Yeah...., send a donut my way.

I may still try a LP12 mat. It's all in the interest of Science, right?

Klipsch out.

Just saw this thread again. Nice photo, Tim. I see you got to witness some of the pain of cutting out a rounded corner; heh.... The trick is to magnify the bastard out of it (when you cant use the magic wand) and it wont look squared off. Still, good job. Nice job with the mat, too.

Well, if you do have an extra one, I'll be happy to give it a listen on both the PE table and the Linn and report back my findings. Ironically enough, I was the one that first recommended it on here as something to try for cheap and now I am the only Froot who hasnt heard it! Pathetic.

You should still have my address from the gear you mailed before. Drop me a mail.

I have been listening to the PE table all tonight. Currently actually listening to an old Joni Mitchell LP "COURT AND SPARK" from around 1974 that I have had for ages. Surprised it still can hold the stylus. Sounds very rich and open. Man, digital just doesnt hold the same richness and atmosphere of vinyl. I have said it 100 times before...but VINYL - TUBES - HORNS are MADE for each other. I just think the cornwalls is a GREAT speaker for vinyl. Man, it just loves the stuff.

kh

Kelly,

I sent Edmond and yours out today via USPS. You will probably see yours first since your closer. I do recall your posting. I had to go back and re-read it because I was sure you had bought one of those Donuts you loon. After reading it again it was apparent that you in fact did not get one...

Let us know when it arrives and your findings ...

- tb

• 1 year later...

Sorry guys for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I've been doing some research as I've been getting more and more interested in acquiring a turntable, and this VPI Aries Scout seems to be raved about everywhere I turn. People tout it as the deal of the century. I'm wondering if anybody (now almost 2 years from this original thread) owns one of these turntables, and what their impressions on it are?

Do you HAVE to have a tube amp to run with these, or can solid state do the job well too?

And please forgive, but what interconnects are required for a turntable? Simply a pair of analog RCA's?

If anyone needs a memory refresher, here is some info on it:

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/shm.pl?anlgtabl&1100883611&item&Questforsound&4&5&6&http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fs_srch.plQQANYAAAApurlsrchAAEXYAAstAAAAAAvpi_scout

http://stereophile.com/analogsourcereviews/776/

- Nick

----------------

On 11/27/2004 3:13:07 AM nicholtl wrote:

Sorry guys for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I've been doing some research as I've been getting more and more interested in acquiring a turntable, and this VPI Aries Scout seems to be raved about everywhere I turn. People tout it as the deal of the century. I'm wondering if anybody (now almost 2 years from this original thread) owns one of these turntables, and what their impressions on it are?

Do you HAVE to have a tube amp to run with these, or can solid state do the job well too?

And please forgive, but what interconnects are required for a turntable? Simply a pair of analog RCA's?

- Nick

----------------

Nick,

Recently there have been two additional members who have added a Scout to their system. One of whom I know uses SS. I can't respond to the SS question since I use tubes and a pair of 2A3 SET amps. With my 2A3 amps and Khorns along with the other components in my chain, the Scout fits well. I am currently using a LOMC which has resulted in another level of refinement and performance for the Scout. There is a recent thread where some your questions on interconnects are answered. I wil repeat here, that I do not recommend standard RCA interconnects for the Scout or any table that allows choice of interconnects. True "Phono" IC's
SHOULD
be constructed differently than standard RCA IC's. There will be those who say there is no difference, but they are wrong! For the Scout, VPI has an IC made that it sells, and it is an outstanding IC for the Scout. I don't visit this forum as often anymore, but please feel welcome to send me an email via the PM with any questions you may have.
And yes, vinyl done properly sounds better than CD's

----------------

On 1/17/2003 11:28:34 AM NOSValves wrote:

Tim,

How do you like the CV4003's in your phono preamp. I have a set of those in my HF-81 although there providing a different use there they do seem to be nice for the ducats. I purchased mine for $30 from a ebay seller in England. Its great how they are wrapped and the pin protectors isn't it !!

Craig

----------------

Craig, I tried the cv4003s from your recomendation a few months back, they are a huge improvement over stock. However, I decided my blueberry phono stage is just to noisey, so I bought an accoustech PHD, I have several different blueberry phono tubes NOS new, if anyone would like a list of them let me know, their all of the good ones.2.gif

radiob,

Please give us feedback on that unit after you have had a chance to listen to it. I almost jumped on one but was a bit worried about some comments I've read about it such as a bit lacking in the dynamic impact area. Never listened to it myself, so please let us know how you like it.

For what it's worth, I've put away my CV4003s. They have nice air but they sacrifice a bit of focus. I'm currently running RCA Cleartops which are quite nice, typical NOS tube sound, nice focus. I've got a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys on order to replace the RCAs.

Might be moving to a 6SL7 based phono preamp however in the near future.

- Tim

Craig, I tried the cv4003s from your recomendation a few months back, they are a huge improvement over stock. However, I decided my blueberry phono stage is just to noisey, so I bought an accoustech PHD, I have several different blueberry phono tubes NOS new, if anyone would like a list of them let me know, their all of the good ones.2.gif

----------------

radiob

Are you referring to a tube based phono stage? I would focus your attention on picking a good cartridge to match with the pre-amp/amps you intend to use. Is your setup warm, neutral ? For example, I use a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge. Very musical, but a tad bit on the analytical side. On my setup it works great because I am all tubes and my setup leans towards sweet and warm sounding. Put that cartridge in a solid state setup, it might sound a bit to analytical (harsh, cold).

Determine what amp, preamp setup you will use with your speakers and make your cartridge choice from there.

One other thought, if you get a tube based phono stage you can roll different tubes into it to change the sound to better match your setup. With solid state, your more or less stuck with what you have. With my Wright Sound phono preamp I can roll different types of 12AU7s to make it warm, neutral, sweet etc. There is time involved in getting the wright combination to suite your listening tastes, but at least the flexibility is there.

And for what it's worth not all tube phono stages are noisy so don't let that sway you.

- Tim

----------------

On 11/27/2004 3:13:07 AM nicholtl wrote:

- Nick

----------------