Vintage Audio Software!

RocketFoot

I am new to the vintage audio world even though I used to live it in the late 80's and 90's!  I was a DJ for almost 15 years and I used to have a van full of records, CD's and even cassettes!  As life moved on, partners moved away and equipment and music got sold off...fast forward to now, I am back into music but I literally have zero media!  I have been searching ebay, Discogs and even bought a few new albums at Walmart but damn!  I can't afford to make all these people and place rich with some of the prices they are asking for vinyl, CD's and cassettes! 

So my question for you guys is where are you having good luck finding vintage audio software, LOL?  Do you try to buy huge lots?  Do you just buy your favorite titles/artists a few at a time?  It's way different for me this time around...I used to go to Galaxy Records in Pittsburgh and buy a milk crate full of vinyl and CD's usually twice a month!  New, unheard cuts, new artists old staples...you name it!  Now the place is gone and I don't have the DJ income to afford them anyway so, yeah...mainly just looking for ideas and inspiration for my new journey into the always entertaining world of music!

• Like 3

Hello, So you still have a turntable, CD player and a cassette player. Accumulation over a short period of time can be had from watching craigslist.

I have records from different sources have met on here, from time to time. Maybe you can find another vinyl, other outlets for decent music local. Just the other day here some CDs offered to us in the Garage Sale section here. It will come...

@RocketFoot

• Like 1

Used record stores are all over the place, I'm sure there are a few near you. I'd forget about cassettes, was glad to see them go. You could certainly buy used seedees, but streaming directly from a high rez source (Tidal, Qobuz) is so cheap, why bother?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, billybob said:

Hello, So you still have a turntable, CD player and a cassette player. Accumulation over a short period of time can be had from watching craigslist.

I have records from different sources have met on here, from time to time. Maybe you can find another vinyl, other outlets for decent music local. Just the other day here some CDs offered to us in the Garage Sale section here. It will come...

@RocketFoot

Yes, I have been slowly building a vintage hifi system...there is just something about that old silver faced audio gear, I love looking at it, listening to it and to an extent, it's the thrill of the chase trying to source and buy it (for a good deal, of course!)  But music is different...I do stream 90% of what I listen to but I like the nostalgia of queuing up a record or the feel of popping a cassette into a deck!  It's so hard and expensive to find these old formats today!  Plus, when I walk into a record store, it is impossible for an indecisive chap like myself to pick out a few titles, LOL!  A million titles out there and I can't think of one song I really want to purchase, HAHA!  I almost like buying blind lots of music just to see what I get! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RocketFoot said:

Yes, I have been slowly building a vintage hifi system...there is just something about that old silver faced audio gear, I love looking at it, listening to it and to an extent, it's the thrill of the chase trying to source and buy it (for a good deal, of course!)  But music is different...I do stream 90% of what I listen to but I like the nostalgia of queuing up a record or the feel of popping a cassette into a deck!  It's so hard and expensive to find these old formats today!  Plus, when I walk into a record store, it is impossible for an indecisive chap like myself to pick out a few titles, LOL!  A million titles out there and I can't think of one song I really want to purchase, HAHA!  I almost like buying blind lots of music just to see what I get! 

Sounds alot like me. Almost to the letter. Nostalgic hardware and buying in lots unknown. Still have records here to listen too. Like a kid in a candy store.

Cool...

• Like 3

You might consider what is most important. You can stream hi rez of most everything made and would last way beyond your life to hear a small %. But..I understand the playing an album thing, even tapes if so inclined. For those I have a lifetime worth I collected so that's not an issue but...If you do not flea mrkts and thrift shops around me in all directions have lots. I'm not much on old worn records so it's limited and kinda pricey and I don't know you can avoid that. Ebay has had some decent deals like good albums for about $5 shipped but that's still not cheap. So...if you love music for music you're in biz with streamin. If it's about the act and visual of music playing, it's just gonna cost.

As to silver faced radios....I went through the 80/90/00/10's buying tens of thousands in gear to get that sound I once heard.I bought all the latest pre's/amps/avrs. I had little idea it was in those 60/70's era radios. After I got an old Sansui, I was instantly satisfied. Those old Pioneers,Sansui, Marantz etc....All my younger friends now own multiple old radios because they too realize that sound is that musical sound we all wanted for so long.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 8:37 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I'd forget about cassettes

You'd be surprised, apparently there's still a market for them and I believe a couple years back, sales were up.  

I'm a 2 media source type of guy.  I still like collecting and listening to vinyl but enjoy hi res downloads for convenience.  My source of vinyl is to try to go new through online retailers and from bands direct site as they release new pressings and for hi res I like HD tracks.  Both can get costly, that's why I make it a point to purchase an album every pay day.  At times I will purchase a cd from ebay if its one I can't find a hi res download or quality vinyl.  Recently I ordered a CD copy of Uncle John's Band off of ebay for $7.00 with great results.   I will then take and rip with EAC and save to my ROON folder for convenience. 

• Like 1

I agree with @Shakeydeal unless you're truly into vinyl.  I'm one of those vinyl guys from the 60's who isn't going to change.  You mention 80's & 90's as a DJ.  Was this w/vinyl or were you one of the guys who had 2.5 million songs on a puter DJing?  Sounds like you had a van full of everything.

On 3/9/2023 at 6:41 AM, RocketFoot said:

mainly just looking for ideas and inspiration for my new journey into the always entertaining world of music!

^^^^^^ THAT journey is on you.  You can write the checks for the vinyl or go w/Tidal, etc.  Keep your eyes open in here for those selling vinyl if that's what you want.  It happens and you have the satisfaction of knowing who you're dealing with.  Before I check out I may unload my collection and go with Tidal or something.  No plans on checking out right now though.

Putting that system together over time for YOU is what's fun.  Just takes money and time.  You'll sort it and we're always in here for questions.  Nice to seal it all with a kiss, kick back and enjoy being happy in your skin.  

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

I agree with @Shakeydeal unless you're truly into vinyl.  I'm one of those vinyl guys from the 60's who isn't going to change.  You mention 80's & 90's as a DJ.  Was this w/vinyl or were you one of the guys who had 2.5 million songs on a puter DJing?  Sounds like you had a van full of everything.

^^^^^^ THAT journey is on you.  You can write the checks for the vinyl or go w/Tidal, etc.  Keep your eyes open in here for those selling vinyl if that's what you want.  It happens and you have the satisfaction of knowing who you're dealing with.  Before I check out I may unload my collection and go with Tidal or something.  No plans on checking out right now though.

Putting that system together over time for YOU is what's fun.  Just takes money and time.  You'll sort it and we're always in here for questions.  Nice to seal it all with a kiss, kick back and enjoy being happy in your skin.  

Yeah, I was a vinyl DJ...we called the computer DJ's "Mr. Microphone Outfits!"  LOL!  I had 2 partners and we kinda split the gear and music when we started getting adult lives and grew apart.  Our music collection was sold off as were all of the audio gear, lighting and even the van! 

I guess I can be a casual media guy!  Just buying a few albums here, a few cassettes there...but streaming is the way!  No doubt!  I just don't want to have all this gear and not have any media to play in it, LOL!  Gotta have at least a small collection!

IMG_1780.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I never got rid of my old vinyl or CDs so I’m lucky there and don’t have to rebuild my collection. I do stream from Tidal, which I think has great quality plus I will buy digital media. But there’s still a charm to spinning a record, and I do that too. I find myself buying new & used vinyl & CDs from local record stores, online, or maybe get lucky at a yard sale. My favorite local record store, head shop & hipster emporium recently celebrated its fiftieth anniversary. Somehow, it survived.  “Budget Tapes & Records”.  We were just in Columbus Ohio for the cancelled Springsteen show, so with extra time on our hands one of the places we went was a nice record store with tons of new & used stuff. So basically the same thing I’d have done forty years ago, flipping through hundreds of albums buying a few things that struck my fancy. You’ll probably never get back to where you were, but the search is the same as it ever was. Good luck rebuilding. 

• Like 2